• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap alternative for air compressor!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap alternative for air compressor!!!

So went to walmart last night with the old lady to grab stuff for the apt... anyways i was in the car section seeing if i wanna pick up anything new or extra. but something caught my eye instead

Lately ive been getting a couple more clients and for some reason they all want engine details.. and i cant take my air compressor from my parents house to blow between crevices etc. so i thought about picking up a metro vac air force blower or a air force sidekick to help me out...

i was in the motorcycle stuff isle at walmart looking at meguiars all metal polish then directly behind me i see a little heated blower to dry motorcycles. so i immedietly pick it up. says 4hp! 1 point... 29,400 ft/min Fan.. 2 points! 5 attachments and a 10 foot hose! 3 points! last but not least it could be had all for
    $20 BUCKS.. so i immediently picked it up. took it home and plugged everything up. it seems to have alot of power as when i turned it on the hose was going all over the place. but it was also 1am and i didnt wanna wake up the neighbors. so i will try it out tonite after work.

the company that manufactures these is called Active Products, out of canada. it says Quick and East Dry on the front. has all the same attachments at the metro blower, same size etc. hopefully it last for being 20 bucks. even if not.. it was only 20 bucks and will help me tremendously.

i couldnt really find info on it other than on 1 harley davidson site... looks just like the metro on the first pic, but its the 3rd one down. the machine is about the size of a 2 liter bottle if anyone cared. heres a link for you to check out. the guy says $90 at walmart, but i got it for $20

- Markito -

Re: cheap alternative for air compressor!!!

I don't know that product,but if you check out some DIY stores,you'll find mini compressors.I don't have one as I've already got a compressor,but I see them all the time.So they're not uncommon.I think Black&Decker do one.If it's just for cleaning or doind your tyres,they're fine.

It is a proper compressor,not one of the small tyre inflators.

Comment

sorry i shouldnt of used air compressor on the title... but thats just what i use to shoot water out of nooks and crannies... last thing i want after a detail is for the owner to drive off then see a whole lotta water drips etc. that was the main reason for me sharing this "blower"... ive noticed alot of people use leaf blowers and im sure thats got to be annoying and sometimes not be able to get into tight spots in the engine...
      - Markito -

Comment

no problem.I had a quick scoot about the web.There was one that I seen that was quite cheap,but I don't see it at the moment.There was another one similair,but was expensive.

I don't know how strong these little blowers are.They might take quite a bit of time.I just use my compressor.It's very quick.

Comment

yah id rather use my compressor too. since i already have one but i wouldnt wanna have to drag a 100lb compressor to all the jobs... so for $20 bucks this thing would work great for what i'll need
          - Markito -

Comment

Heated air. I could see how that thing would work great, especially with motorcycles and all their nooks and crannies.
            Alex C.

Comment

yah i dont know how heated it actually gets. but it sure beats spending 5 bucks for the aerosol cans for keyboards and what not.. haha. i literally only turned it on for a second. so i will get to play with it when i get home. im planning on spraying the sinks down and what not and seeing how well it works
              - Markito -

Comment

Originally posted by Still Learnin View Post
                im planning on spraying the sinks down and what not and seeing how well it works

On any other site you'd be called a weirdo for doing something like that. But here............ well i think here we're all a little crazy when it comes to detailing and detailing supplies.
                Alex C.

Comment

So what's the idea behind using a compressor in the first place again?

Comment

You got that at Walmart for 20 dollars..did they have any more???
                    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

yah they had 2 more... i personally think its a steal for it.. figured 20 dollars for a blower or 20 dollars at albertos mexican food.... this is the one in rancho thats 24hrs.

xantonin.. the blower would be used to blow out excess water out from the engine bay after hosing it.. shooting out water behind tailights or reflectors etc... just basically help drying the car a little more of the places you cant reach
                      - Markito -

Comment

dude!! send one my way!! thats a steal!
                        Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

haha i was trying to look for em on their website but i didnt find anything.... trying to share what i found with others... incase they were interested in one
                          - Markito -

Comment

I use a can of Dust-off to spray dust out of interior cracks and water out of exterior trim. Very cheap (if you're only doing your own car).
                            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                            Calais Auto Detailing
                            CalaisDetails@aim.com
                            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

yah thats what i would use before when i had out of house jobs... but when at my place i have the compressor...
                              - Markito -

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');