• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you repair a rock chip with a touch-up paint pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you repair a rock chip with a touch-up paint pen?

Hi Tim.Thanks for the info.

I did answer your original question in another part of the forum.

I agree entirely with what you have said,but would just like to add a bit to the examples:

I will be happy to fully document every piece of work that I do with my vehicle and others.And yes,first chance I get,I will take a pic of the rust spot that I did a few years back.(Can't say precisely,but somewhere before 6/7 years ago). What did the trick for me was using some Clear on top,then sanded that down,to blend.I believe the more traditional way is just to use the color only.Anyway,it's not perfect,but it's not easily noticable either,unless I point it out.Even I have difficulty finding it.As far as metallics go,I realize that there is a visible difference between touching up as opposed to a spray finish and this is something I want to work with soon.Also,these are just my experiences and what has worked for me.

As far as working with a DA goes,I don't have one,so I don't answer peoples threads about 'which pad,product' etc.

I am not a professional,nor do I charge anyone any money and pretend to be a professional.

Any work I do is on my vehicles and freinds vehicles.Unfortunately,around here there are no schools or training for this subject.So,like many,I have to learn by different methods.

The example about the Black hood.Touch ups with a paint stick are a cheap solution.You either leave it alone,touch it up or have the whole hood resprayed.Unfortunately,top surfaces show any imperfections that might be disguised on a side surface,whether it be touch up or blending.

Lastly,I know your not referring to anyone in particular,but I personally would not recommend sanding down coats to anyone.There was one recentley,where someone put a customized part on their car(I can't remember what it was),where he apparentley sprayed it himself and applied the clearcoat after aswell.From what it appeared to me was that he did this part away from the car and not on the car.Just for talking sake,let's say it was a plastic air intake.Now the point to me is here did he do it with proper equipment or a couple of spray cans at 5$'s each..Who knows? In this case,he was wanting to remove some orange peel effect.Apart from that,he was quite happy with his results.I did,in this case suggest that he could try to remove by wetsanding as it wasn't a fixed part of the bodywork,that was not big and he had the ability to respray again if the results were not satisfactory.

The one problem for me here is the Meguiar's product selection.I still havn't got my scratchX 2.0 yet! This also makes it difficult for me on the forum,because I have to try and relate some products to what I am using.
    But it's getting better,and I have picked up a lot very quickly....Except the pro line,which is non existent here.The point for me is that,I will keep on trying to improve what's available with Meg's here,because I believe it's a better product,rather than switching to another far more easily available brand.

Anyway Tim,I'm not snappin' back or anything like that,but I just wanted to clear some things up.Possibly,the only resolve for these delicate issues(bodywork damage or repair),is to have them answered only by on line certified professionals and only allow people to put in pics of their experiences without relating it to other peoples dilemas,as much as we all like to help.I would only put it like this:This is a meguiar's detailing forum,not a body repair shop.

As far as Keyboard Commandos go,even backed up with photos,that is not certain either.It's very easy to edit pictures with computers today,plus photos are not the same as what you actually see.I'm not suggesting that's what is.I'm only saying for a minority it's a possibility.Food for Thought.As far as my cars go.I have nuthin' fancy,so for me to do anything like that would have no meaning whatsoever.

I hope you hit my other thread...I can't remember what it was about,but that'll explain why I havn't had time to do many pics.
    Last edited by Eddie6th; Jun 26, 2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: Type O

Comment

This is exactly the post I was going to make and ask.
      My paint chip on the front of my bumper seems to have curled up some paint at the top of the chip into a tiny ball.
      I'm guessing the best thing for me to do would be to remove it by hand or some tweezers and not by sandpaper, right?

I have some touch-up paint from the dealer.
      Thank you for this post and thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Ill just say this, I have no paint chip repair experience, no wet sanding experience, and not a pro by any means.

I have a very noticable chip in the middle of my hood and what did I do? Look away for fear of doing more damage than good until I can find the time to get help from a professional to ensure that I am doing things correctly.

If you really want to do this yourself, the best advice I can think to give you would be to pick up a small practice panel to test your skills before attempting anything on your own car.

Comment

Another option...

I found a large rock chip on my hood one day, and I referred it to my insurance company. Since I had comprehensive insurance with a zero deductible, the whole hood was sanded, painted, and clear coated at no cost to me.
          r. b.

Comment

Okay so I'm confused, what exactly is the tough up paint for if not for small chips?

Comment

Okay so I'm confused, what exactly is the tough up paint for if not for small chips?
              Well...its for touching up chips.

But using the touch up paint on a rock chip (for most folks on this forum who, if I'm reading correctly are very exacting (not to say obsessive )) is like asking a symphony conductor or audiophile to listen to an MP3 version of Beethoven's 9th.

Its going to sound close, but not perfect. (Frankly until you get over 256Kbs most MP3s sound like MP3s on my Sennheiser 580s..and nothing is as good as vinyl 'cept live).

Same with the touch up paint. It will be "good enough" for most folks...and will most likely keep the spot from standing out like a sore thumb or worse yet, rusting. But that's if you apply it slowly and a little bit at a time- the big blob mentioned previously WILL stand out. (I wonder if clay will pop it off?)

But for the pros, semi-pros and anal-retentives it won't be perfect.

I'm thankful for this thread though as there's a long scratch in the Desert Mica on my 2005 Corolla that I think I'll leave alone. The chip on the hood though I'm going to fix...but with the matchstick, not the touchup pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpc9886 View Post
                But using the touch up paint on a rock chip (for most folks on this forum who, if I'm reading correctly are very exacting (not to say obsessive )) is like asking a symphony conductor or audiophile to listen to an MP3 version of Beethoven's 9th.

Its going to sound close, but not perfect. (Frankly until you get over 256Kbs most MP3s sound like MP3s on my Sennheiser 580s..and nothing is as good as vinyl 'cept live).
                Them's fightn' words!
                r. b.

Comment

Okay, my other question is, when touching up the rock chipped bumper with touch up and a toothpick, do I just leave it or put some kind of clear coat on it? Where would I get the stuff to begin with?

Thank you

Comment

They will sell clear coat pens/bottles at a regular car care store.

You dont have to, but I think it sometimes helps the area blend in a bit better.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                      Hey Eddie,

Yes, you are right we do not know and that is the problem. No offense, but we do not even know what your level of experience is and if your advice is based on years of experience in actually doing it yourself or not. See what I mean? You may have years of experience, in which case, please post photos of the various cars/trucks/SUV's etc and show us some of your work! I love seeing photos of other people's work!!!

The internet is full of Keyboard Commandos who simply read posts elsewhere and then re-post it makiing people think/believe that they are the ones who actually have the experience when that is not the case. Moreover, watching a few videos or hanging around with an actual Pro is different than doing it yourself. Again, I am not referring to you, but rather people in general.

So, how do you deal with the fact that metallic flakes when touching up paint will lay differently than sprayed metallics? This difference is very visible and yet no one has mentioned that fact.

If a person sands down the touch-up paint that has metallic flake, it will stand out, usually brighter than the rest of the paint as the metallics will not be distributed the same as when being sprayed. It will create a visible dimpled effect that looks terrible if several spots are done on say a hood for example.

Secondly, in the examples I have seen lately, how do we know if a person has gone down below the maximum accepted loss .3 -.5 mils of clear coat that surrounds the touch-up spot? You have to level the paint to match the repaired spot or again, you have a dimpled effect. If you go below that accepted maximum, clear coat failure may occur in those areas fairly quickly.

Thirdly, while I have seen a lot of people saying that they can remove sanding marks with a PC, I have yet to see it done with 100% perfection. Under halogens you may not see it, but in the sun and a critical eye, you can spot the sanding marks that are often remaining. Now before I get jumped for that, new products like M105 with the SMAT abrasives are changing that fact, but I still have not seen it done on OEM paint to 100% perfection. Factors such as paint hardness etc all play a major factor in the success of wet sanding mark removal. Have you ever tried to remove sanding marks from an OEM painted Vette or newer MB, or BMW? It is NOT easy at all. It does not matter if someone has all of the drive in the world, if you do not have the tools, products and knowledge, those sanding marks are not coming out.

Finally, what about doing a touch up and sanding it in the center of a hood of a black car? Have you seen waves in paint caused by arbitrary sanding of paint in spots only?

While we all had to learn some how, it is haphazard to suggest to anyone to wet sand their paint as there are so many variables that must be considered. If the advice is taken by someone who has a Vette and they can not remove the sanding marks, and/or waves or flat spots are created, they will not be happy. Bad advice can also lead to legal liability issues even over international boundaries. Just something to keep in mind.

Tim
                      i bought a two year old black kia sorento and jumped head first into wet sanding and detailing in general and im glad i did, i got rid of the wet sanding marks on my car but i only used 2000 grit gently, i did a good job on the big gouges in the back but i still have road rash, i know i have lots to learn but im glad i tried the wet sanding just for the experience regardless of results. i have no where to go but up as far as getting better at it

Comment

my clearcoat/basecoat pen comes with both but it says right on the pen that do not recommend using it for touch ups.

edit its from the factory

Comment

The example about the Black hood.Touch ups with a paint stick are a cheap solution.You either leave it alone,touch it up or have the whole hood resprayed.Unfortunately,top surfaces show any imperfections that might be disguised on a side surface,whether it be touch up or blending.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');