• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterless Engine Detailing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterless Engine Detailing...

Although when detailing an engine compartment for a customer I go thru the entire process including misting with water, there are times and/or situations where this is not feasible or warranted. So even though I have detailed the cleaning of engine compartments for full details, here's a recently completed "maintenance" waterless engine detail process.

I am having a new set of custom-designed seats placed in the Vette as well as some custom leather shift/e-brake boots and various interior panels. Had to leave the Vette at the upholstery shop for about 10 days so they could do all the test fittings and remove the old components and replace with temporary ones while they design/cut the foam for the seats, mount them to the rails, install electronics, etc.

Well, while they might be great with leather, vinyl, stitching and interior they have no idea how to care for a car. Car was left in a dusty parking area under a tree so that "it would be in the shade" according to the shop manager...

Picked up the car, brought it home and found this...

Not horribly dirty but loads of dust and some leaf collection. Decided to go with a maintenance cleaning and use just M40 instead of the entire water/degreaser/cleaners/conditioners/dressing procedure.

First up was pulling the Vette into the covered work area, popping the hood and removing the major engine compartment seals...

Take an engine detailing brush and agitate the major built-up dirt and loosen leaves/twigs...

Use Shop Vac to suction out all loose dirt and debris...

All vacuumed up...

Grabbed some M40 and a terry towel and cleaned engine compartment seals. Can you say dirty...

Take another terry towel and scrub all plastic, vinyl, and rubber surfaces with M40 using ample amounts of product...

Take an foam brush applicator and liberally apply M40 to cowl plastic area...

Follow up with clean microfiber to wip away excess...

Use clean microfibers to wipe up any excess in the remainder of the engine compartment and wipedown painted surfaces with Meguiar's Last Touch.

Finished product...

Funny side note...notice the windshield washer fluid reservoir tank. It's "sweating" as the water is condensing on the outside. I asked my girlfriend to fill it with water and she did so from the ice water in the fridge. Hence the condensation. Hey, at least she helped!

As always, thanks for looking guys...

Re: Waterless Engine Detailing...

Great work!

The K.I.S.S principle in action.

Comment

great work Bounty, I love M40 for engines.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Looks great, I use ONR in a sprayer when engines just need a wipe down. I never thought of using #40 under the hood, will have to try that until I can get some Hyper Dressing.

Comment

Great idea. Great results.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

So did he wipe the metallic engine parts down with M40 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sparx View Post
              So did he wipe the metallic engine parts down with M40 as well?
              Nope...used Meguiar's Last Touch quick detailer on all painted surfaces and non-plastic surfaces that needed cleaning.

Comment

Ok thanks
                sparx

Comment

Originally posted by Sal329 View Post
                  Looks great, I use ONR in a sprayer when engines just need a wipe down. I never thought of using #40 under the hood, will have to try that until I can get some Hyper Dressing.
                  What is "ONR"?
                  sparx

Comment

What is "ONR"?
                    sparx
                    ONR = Optimum No Rinse
                    The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

I got the M40 and Last Touch and it does work great- thanks for the thread!

How do I get the dust of the hood insulation blanket?

Happy 4th ALL!
                      Sparx

Comment

I got the M40 and Last Touch and it does work great- thanks for the thread!

How do I get the dust of the hood insulation blanket?

Happy 4th ALL!
                        Sparx
                        When it is really bad I pull it off, spray APC+ liberally and rinse with high pressure hose. Allow it to sun dry and reinstall.

Comment

Ok
                          APC= All Purpose Cleaner? Would that be the formal name, or would Simple Green work?
                          TY
                          Jim

Comment

Sparx: I would stick to APC or APC+, I recall reading that simple green was to strong and had stained some plastics...

Comment

Originally posted by Benzboy280 View Post
                              Sparx: I would stick to APC or APC+, I recall reading that simple green was to strong and had stained some plastics...
                              Ok
                              What is APC, where do you get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');