Do we need a Meguiar's paintwork "cleanser"? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a Meguiar's paintwork "cleanser"?

Re: Do we need a Meguiar's paintwork "cleanser"?

Even DC1 had diminishing abrasives...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lingor View Post
    Just to chime in here...

Tim
    Yeah, we are all saying the same thing.....
    Jason

Registered Member

Reviving an old thread here... But the subject is one I'm currently dealing with. To my knowledge, the OPs question is still valid. I'd like a product that will remove any traces of last spring's ULW/Collinite before I reapply ULW for the winter. After claying, which certainly won't entirely remove previously applied wax/sealant, what product would one use as a paint cleanser to prep the surface for a new coat of sealant? Key here is that I'm working by hand. I really don't want to use a cleaner wax topped with a sealant. So cleaner wax is not an option (i.e. "Don't top wax with a sealer").

You could use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) diluted with water.

Alternatively, you could use a product like CarPro Eraser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    You could use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) diluted with water.

Alternatively, you could use a product like CarPro Eraser.
    Can you comment on any of these others?
    -pinnacle/Wolfgang cleansing lotion
    -four star pre-wax cleanser
    -P21S

i'd like one that will not soften the clear coat. I've read that some of the pre wax cleansers temporarily/chemically soften the clear so it self-levels.

Registered Member DasBurninator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNester View Post
    -P21S

i'd like one that will not soften the clear coat. I've read that some of the pre wax cleansers temporarily/chemically soften the clear so it self-levels.
    I can comment on the Pinnacle cleansing lotion. Not sure if it softens the clear coat, but it does work for cleaning up polishing oils, etc prior to applying a coating.

Personally I have been using a bit of D114 mixed with IPA and water as my wipedown prior to applying coatings, but I don't feel that is strong enough to remove some sealants. Just polishing oils.

If it was me I would probably polish with Megs Ultimate Polish or M205 to start with a clean slate. Claying will probably remove left over sealant as well. I have heard of people removing coatings by being too aggressive with them.
    Last edited by DasBurninator; Nov 16th, 2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: re-read original post

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNester View Post
    -P21S

No sorry, I haven't used any of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBurninator View Post
    I can comment on the Pinnacle cleansing lotion. Not sure if it softens the clear coat, but it does work for cleaning up polishing oils, etc prior to applying a coating.

Personally I have been using a bit of D114 mixed with IPA and water as my wipedown prior to applying coatings, but I don't feel that is strong enough to remove some sealants. Just polishing oils.

If it was me I would probably polish with Megs Ultimate Polish or M205 to start with a clean slate. Claying will probably remove left over sealant as well. I have heard of people removing coatings by being too aggressive with them.

I would have to agree with this. Too add more to this.

Mike Phillips answered your question over on AGO. But seeing as you have UP, you can use that as a "paint cleanser". If I recall correctly you are doing things by hand so there is no need to worry about UP or M205 softening your clear coat. UP and M205 are mechanically cleansing the paint with the SMAT abrasives. You will know when you have cleaned the area by having the squeaky feeling when applying and removing the product.

Pinnacle, Four Star, Wolfgang and Blackfire use non-abrasives. Good if the paint is in great shape with little to no defects.

As Mike Phillips stated you use one or the other but not both.

Good point on D114. It can be diluted strong enough to strip a wax.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would have to agree with this. Too add more to this.

Mike Phillips answered your question over on AGO. But seeing as you have UP, you can use that as a "paint cleanser". If I recall correctly you are doing things by hand so there is no need to worry about UP or M205 softening your clear coat. UP and M205 are mechanically cleansing the paint with the SMAT abrasives. You will know when you have cleaned the area by having the squeaky feeling when applying and removing the product.

Pinnacle, Four Star, Wolfgang and Blackfire use non-abrasives. Good if the paint is in great shape with little to no defects.

As Mike Phillips stated you use one or the other but not both.

Good point on D114. It can be diluted strong enough to strip a wax.
    Yup, Mike set me straight. Thanks for all the help, guys. basically, NONE of the products chemically soften paint any longer to level it. So, any of today's non-abrasive chemical paint cleansers will work for me. It's an effective process, but we now have better means of accomplishing that goal. That's what I was wanting to confirm, as I wasn't confident that I was getting much cleaning ability from the UP with an application by hand.

Registered Member

It looks to me like the Mirror Bright line of products in 2016 will have a product that fits this bill. A "cleaner sealer". Compatible with a ULW top coat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information