• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need a Meguiar's paintwork "cleanser"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do we need a Meguiar's paintwork "cleanser"?

What makes you think that UP wasn't cleaning or doing anything?

Originally posted by Brian Hann View Post
    The Polishing Wax is less aggressive than White Wax but more aggressive than Black Wax.
    Also based on this, the polishing wax sounds like it has SMAT. Nick or Brian will have to confirm that.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      What makes you think that UP wasn't cleaning or doing anything?

Also based on this, the polishing wax sounds like it has SMAT. Nick or Brian will have to confirm that.
      I guess I was expecting a little more shine than I started with. And I didn't get that. That's what made me think that the polish didn't do much. It didn't even correct the slightest of swirls, but as I'm learning more about the process, maybe I was expecting too much from a hand application (or I simply didn't work it long enough). I guess it may have acted to remove any traces of previous LSP, which was also a goal.

Im excited about the polishing wax, in that it's essentially an AIO Meguires product compatible with ULW. I guess we do have some products that come close, but this truly seems like more of an AIO. I'm expecting more "cleaning" power than what we have in any existing synthetic products. I like the idea of a cleaner wax that can be topped with ULW.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleNester View Post
        I guess I was expecting a little more shine than I started with. And I didn't get that. That's what made me think that the polish didn't do much. It didn't even correct the slightest of swirls, but as I'm learning more about the process, maybe I was expecting too much from a hand application (or I simply didn't work it long enough).
        Working by hand is very difficult at best. I try to only work by hand when I absolutely have to (tight areas).
        The amount of work you can do by hand vs by machine in the same amount of time isn't even comparable.

The other thing to consider is the condition of the paint. UP might not be enough cut to improve the finish significantly. Less so by hand.

Tape off a test spot and see if you can see a difference before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
          Working by hand is very difficult at best. I try to only work by hand when I absolutely have to (tight areas).
          The amount of work you can do by hand vs by machine in the same amount of time isn't even comparable.

The other thing to consider is the condition of the paint. UP might not be enough cut to improve the finish significantly. Less so by hand.

I can hardly wait to get a machine!

Comment

I guess I was expecting a little more shine than I started with. And I didn't get that. That's what made me think that the polish didn't do much. It didn't even correct the slightest of swirls, but as I'm learning more about the process, maybe I was expecting too much from a hand application (or I simply didn't work it long enough). I guess it may have acted to remove any traces of previous LSP, which was also a goal.

Im excited about the polishing wax, in that it's essentially an AIO Meguires product compatible with ULW. I guess we do have some products that come close, but this truly seems like more of an AIO. I'm expecting more "cleaning" power than what we have in any existing synthetic products. I like the idea of a cleaner wax that can be topped with ULW.
            Das provided some good input on his response.

This is a good reference to see the aggressiveness of SMAT products. UP would be out to the right.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!

By itself it won't be that aggressive. Especially by hand. You may need to step up to Ultimate compound to see any swirl or defect removal. These products will not soften your clear coat. If they did, they would not be sold to the average consumer.

M20 has cleaning abilities as well. It could be considered a cleaner sealant. It can also be topped with any of Meguiar's sealants if needed.

I agree with this. I do very little by hand.

It's the best thing you can do. Trust us who have gone over the machine side of things.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              Das provided some good input on his response.

This is a good reference to see the aggressiveness of SMAT products. UP would be out to the right.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!

By itself it won't be that aggressive. Especially by hand. You may need to step up to Ultimate compound to see any swirl or defect removal. These products will not soften your clear coat. If they did, they would not be sold to the average consumer.

M20 has cleaning abilities as well. It could be considered a cleaner sealant. It can also be topped with any of Meguiar's sealants if needed.

I agree with this. I do very little by hand.

It's the best thing you can do. Trust us who have gone over the machine side of things.
              thank you both. I've been studying that abrasive line-up. To be honest my truck is a 2014 with paint in really good condition. Hardly any swirls at all that are visible after a coat of wax. There are just a few light scratches that I'm certain came from my drying technique (before I got it perfected). The scratches arc in the direction and location of my initial drying "swipes". Probably picked up a little grit here or there in the towel or wash pad. I'm much more careful now. Mostly this whole process is a learning one for me. Learning about the different products, techniques, methods, and limitations. I do appreciate the time you've taken to offer advice and share wisdom. I plan to pick up a PC DA. Although the I haven't decided for sure on the brand. I'd like to get the best one the first time, as I plan on many years of use. Give or take a hundred bucks, in the long run I know I'd be happier with a quality tool. Seems like the PC is the most talked about, but I'm wondering if another brand might be better.

Comment

thank you both. I've been studying that abrasive line-up. To be honest my truck is a 2014 with paint in really good condition. Hardly any swirls at all that are visible after a coat of wax. There are just a few light scratches that I'm certain came from my drying technique (before I got it perfected). The scratches arc in the direction and location of my initial drying "swipes". Probably picked up a little grit here or there in the towel or wash pad. I'm much more careful now. Mostly this whole process is a learning one for me. Learning about the different products, techniques, methods, and limitations. I do appreciate the time you've taken to offer advice and share wisdom. I plan to pick up a PC DA. Although the I haven't decided for sure on the brand. I'd like to get the best one the first time, as I plan on many years of use. Give or take a hundred bucks, in the long run I know I'd be happier with a quality tool. Seems like the PC is the most talked about, but I'm wondering if another brand might be better.
                Always happy to help.

Just curious if you are washing with a two bucket method with grit guards? Are you using a detail spray of some sort to help with drying? It also helps prevent scratching while you dry.

I would suggest something other than the Porter Cable. With other machines out there on the Market that are much smoother, the PC is a bit dated. You will usually hear about it because that has been most peoples' first DA polisher, and it has turned into the benchmark for testing products because of the familiarity.

IMO spend a couple extra bucks and get something smoother. Your hands will thank you for it.
                Depending on how much you want to spend:

Rupes Duetto
                Meguiars MT300
                Griots Garage 6"

The Duetto will have the most correcting ability and should be the smoothest. The one I tried out was very smooth.
                MT300 is a nice machine as well. A bit less correcting power than the Duetto (due to throw. 8mm vs 12mm)
                GG6" would be my last choice. It is a bit dated, but still a good machine. Has more power than a porter cable and is a bit smoother.

These are just my recommendations, but they will give you something to research a bit.

Comment

Always happy to help.

Just curious if you are washing with a two bucket method with grit guards? Are you using a detail spray of some sort to help with drying? It also helps prevent scratching while you dry.

I would suggest something other than the Porter Cable. With other machines out there on the Market that are much smoother, the PC is a bit dated. You will usually hear about it because that has been most peoples' first DA polisher, and it has turned into the benchmark for testing products because of the familiarity.

IMO spend a couple extra bucks and get something smoother. Your hands will thank you for it.
                  Depending on how much you want to spend:

Rupes Duetto
                  Meguiars MT300
                  Griots Garage 6"

The Duetto will have the most correcting ability and should be the smoothest. The one I tried out was very smooth.
                  MT300 is a nice machine as well. A bit less correcting power than the Duetto (due to throw. 8mm vs 12mm)
                  GG6" would be my last choice. It is a bit dated, but still a good machine. Has more power than a porter cable and is a bit smoother.

These are just my recommendations, but they will give you something to research a bit.
                  Thanks again. Yep, I'm using GG speed shine as a drying aid. Works well. Also a big fan of the two bucket method. Currently using ULW/summer and Collinite 476/winter. And the reason for my post in this thread- looking for a cleaner to clean the remaining Collinite in the spring before going back to ULW/MPL/blackfire or whatever synthetic I choose for the summer.

Ill look into the rupes!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');