• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth: 300k cars look good from the factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth: 300k cars look good from the factory

This car has not been touched (until I fixed it) since leaving the gates in Italy. I know because I pulled the plastics off of it...

Sometimes other 'detailers' will give exotic detailers **** because they think all the cars we work on are perfect (I'm still waiting for that day). In my experice most exotics I work are are worse the the soccer mom van, except for the stains in the carpet or dog hair. These cars are poor from the factory gates and usually ruined further by the dealer... But here it is, straight from the factory and past QC...

Swirls? Check, and every where.
    Holograms? Check, on the hood and rear fenders...
    Scratches? Check, just about every where.
    DA Sanding Marks!?!?!? Check, I had to wetsand 4 spots (large spots) to get them out.

This is a 300k Ferrari Scuderia and this is how it left the gates...

Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Re: Myth: 300k cars look good from the factory

Why on earth would anybody even need to buff a factory fresh paint job??? If the car comes with the plastic on it, I thought that meant that the paint has literally never been touched by anybody?

Comment

wow those are extreme defects of a car just leaving the factory...
      Ganesa,
      Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

What a terrible finish for a brand new car! So lets see the after pictures Todd, you gotta give us something sweet to drool over

Comment

Wow! That's even worse than some U.S. off the lot, rail dust jobs I've seen on here. 300K straight from the factory can't buy you a flawless paint job, either?

Maybe the lighting at the factory stinks?

Now lets see what you did!
          Rob A.
          '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
          '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Should be easy to keep that 'new car look' with this one!

I guess they have their Monday/Friday cars, as well as their Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday cars. Looks like your guy got a Friday afternoon car!

I am certain you straighted it out.
            Kevin Brown
            NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

The cars are test driven in Maranello. After the test drive they go through the automatic car wash (This is not a joke) And to remove the scratches that the car wash left behind they polish it for about 30 minutes. And then the car looks like the pictures from Todd. Same happened to this Ferrari California:
              If you think it it's expensive to hire a professional,
              hire an amateur first.
              King of the Mustang louvers

Comment

My truck sat on a dealer lot for 7 months and then I never detailed it for over a year and it didn't look that bad. Glad I spent a fraction of that on my truck. If I spent that much on a vehicle it should give you a tan if you walk next to the car in the sun.

Comment

i watched a special on lexus factory paintjobs the other day on history channel and man are they meticulous about quality. there are so many QC checkpoints even before the car is cleared for the test track.

you would think that a manufacturer such as ferrari would have something similar but i guess not...
                  2007 Flint Mica Scion tC

Comment

No car is perfect unless one of us has made it so.

AeroCleanse, LLC
                    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

What did you expect for 300K?
                      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

That is crazy. I never would have expected that from Ferrari.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by maarten22 View Post
                          The cars are test driven in Maranello. After the test drive they go through the automatic car wash (This is not a joke) And to remove the scratches that the car wash left behind they polish it for about 30 minutes. And then the car looks like the pictures from Todd.

I couldn't understand how a brand new vehicle could look like that, but now I do. Wow, what a great "thank you" from Ferrari for purchasing their vehicle. With a finish like that, you'd think Ferrari was in the detailing business, too, and it was their way of drumming up business!

Colin
                          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I would send it back and demand either a better model in return or the same model and color with a 99% flawless paint job, professionally detailed by a third party. For my 300k heads would roll.
                            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                            Calais Auto Detailing
                            CalaisDetails@aim.com
                            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
                              I would send it back and demand either a better model in return or the same model and color with a 99% flawless paint job, professionally detailed by a third party. For my 300k heads would roll.
                              When you wait 5 months for your custom built Ferrari to be delivered, it isn't near that simple. In fact Ferrari would likely laugh at your request. I have a client who has a black F430 Spider that doesn't have PAINT on the lips of the vents. When he complained, the offical response was "Enzo always said your paying for the engine and car was free, how does the engine run?"

The car was detailed by a professional 3rd party (me) and now is 99% flawless or greater.
                              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');