• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finger nail used / how to buff a way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger nail used / how to buff a way

I have a black car and on the hood saw some bumps, like sap or something so I used my thumb nail to pop it off and remove it and in the process notice it left marks "like scratches" and I can not wipe them away. How can my thumbnail do this? How do I fix this and get the marks off now?

Thanks

Re: Finger nail used / how to buff a way

Originally posted by tim ver View Post
    I have a black car and on the hood saw some bumps, like sap or something so I used my thumb nail to pop it off and remove it and in the process notice it left marks "like scratches" and I can not wipe them away. How can my thumbnail do this? How do I fix this and get the marks off now?

Thanks
    Cleaner wax.
    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
    Calais Auto Detailing
    CalaisDetails@aim.com
    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Cleaner wax like the A12, or ColorX should do the trick. If you need a little more oomph, SwirlX would be a great choice.

Comment

It's always tempting to pick with your fingernail,but it's very easy to make scratches.

Comment

ok thanks.

So this is an easy fix sounds like. What cloth is best to apply it with and buff it out with? Also what do I put on after I clean up the marks?

Comment

ok thanks.

So this is an easy fix sounds like. What cloth is best to apply it with and buff it out with?
            A terry cloth or foam pad to apply and work into the paint and a MF to buff off residue.
            Calais Auto Detailing
            CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Ok, what is a MF? After do I apply some synthetic sealer or synthetic wax?

Comment

'MF' stands for microfibre cloth on the forum,to save typing.

You could use NXT Tech wax 2.0 after.

Comment

Eddie6th: Thanks. I wanted to make sure I got the right stuff.

So this is safe and will not ruin anything?

If I take it in to the dealership and say can you remove them and clean it up I am sure they will know or should I let them know to use a specific compound and sealer?

Thanks

Comment

If I take it in to the dealership and say can you remove them and clean it up I am sure they will know or should I let them know to use a specific compound and sealer?

Thanks
                    It would take you 5 minutes to do, I would just do it myself. It sounds like one of the most minor of problems and you really can't do any damage with a cleaner wax if thats what you are worried about (making it worse). Dealerships are known for damaging paint, especially when using a rotary. I would avoid relying on the dealership as much as possible. If you want the most out of your paint, work on it yourself.
                    Calais Auto Detailing
                    CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Thanks
                      Don't take it to the dealership. Go to walmart, buy Megs cleaner wax, rub it on the spot that has the marks, wipe away with a MF towel, if the marks are still there try it again, if they still persist, buy some Scratch X 2.0 . After you get the marks off throw some NXT 2.0 on there.

The dealership will most likely try to rip you off and they'll instill more damage than already exists.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Ok, thanks. They would do this for free but if they would be worse then I would not want them to do it.

So I should get the Meguiars wax cleaner and the Meguiars NXT GENERATION SPRAY WAX?

The NXT Sprat wax is a synthetic correct? I heard it is better for the car/paint then regular wax.

Comment

I have done the same thing on my black Camry. I suggest skipping the cleaner wax and going straight to SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0. If your paint like mine it would take a lot of passion to remove the mark with cleaner wax. Also, you will find the SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0 to come in handy in the future.

I agree with the others, do not trust your paint to the dealers. You can get all the help you need to safely remove this mark right here on MOL.

Mike
                          Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Ok, Is SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0 more abrasive then the cleaner wax? I do not want to hurt my cars paint. How much force do you use I am just worried I will hurt it or make it worse.

Where can I find it at? Also when done still use the NXT wax?

Thanks

Comment

Since I am new to this I just want to make sure if I use ScratchX 2.0 that it is impossible to cause more damage or do I need to be really careful with it?

Thanks for all the help on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');