• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Wheel Cleaner Stained My Driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Wheel Cleaner Stained My Driveway

I washed the truck yesterday and used the new bottle of All Wheel Cleaner. I followed the directions: Sprayed, let sit for a few seconds, used a brush to agitate, then I thoroughly rinsed the wheels. When I was finished and pulled the truck into the garage, I saw this...

And there were matching stains under all four wheels, why?

What did I do wrong? Any ideas?

I will try to get it off with my pressure washer, but I can't really do that every time I was the car.
    Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
    2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Re: All Wheel Cleaner Stained My Driveway

No, it did not stain your driveway. It simply cleaned it!

To remedy the problem, you might want to consider cleaning your driveway to restore its bright concrete color.

Comment

same thing happened to my driveway like stated above....You cleaned it!

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
        No, it did not stain your driveway. It simply cleaned it!

To remedy the problem, you might want to consider cleaning your driveway to restore its bright concrete color.
        Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
        same thing happened to my driveway like stated above....You cleaned it!

That is definitely possible, but I cleaned (chemical + pressure washer) and sealed the driveway about 6 months ago and it never looked THIS white -- milky white really. But if you are right, do you know how many GALLONS of AWC I would need to clean my driveway!!!!!
        Greg D.

Comment

I was going to say: Do not empty out the shelves of AWC at your local auto parts store!!!

I keep my concrete snow white by cleaning it with a gas powered pressure washer. Trust me, it IS that white. From my experience gas powered pressure washer does a better job at bleaching concrete than many of the chemicals on the market. You really need to be patient and stick the nozzle right at the concrete to get it clean if you are using an electric powered unit.

Comment

Is it maybe Acid etching?

I dont know if All Wheel cleaner is Acid based but I know Wheel brighter is. Looks like alot like etching because I ran into a similar problem with WB on my concrete.

I would buy 4 towels and just park under those when you clean the tires.

Comment

just park your rig in a slightly different spot each time you wash, eventually it will even out!

the marks on my driveway are from a month or so ago? and they are almost blended back to the color of the rest of the driveway.

it happened because I sprayed the heck out of my wheels as they were so dirty, the awc remained on the cement for a good few minutes.

now on my regular washes it isn't a problem as the wheel wash is quick and I rinse the awc under the tire prior to washing the wheel

Comment

I believe it is acid etching. I also believe that AWC is composed of mostly acid, as I could feel the acid irritating my nose as I use AWC.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                  I was going to say: Do not empty out the shelves of AWC at your local auto parts store!!!

I keep my concrete snow white by cleaning it with a gas powered pressure washer. Trust me, it IS that white. From my experience gas powered pressure washer does a better job at bleaching concrete than many of the chemicals on the market. You really need to be patient and stick the nozzle right at the concrete to get it clean if you are using an electric powered unit.
                  I have a pretty good Honda powered Karcher 2600 psi washer that I used with Simple Green Concrete cleaner.

Originally posted by Fischer View Post
                  Is it maybe Acid etching?

I dont know if All Wheel cleaner is Acid based but I know Wheel brighter is. Looks like alot like etching because I ran into a similar problem with WB on my concrete.

I would buy 4 towels and just park under those when you clean the tires.
                  There's a good idea. "Hey honey, hold this towel here while I run it over with the car."

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                  just park your rig in a slightly different spot each time you wash, eventually it will even out!
                  Now that is funny!
                  Greg D.

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
                    I cleaned (chemical + pressure washer) and sealed the driveway about 6 months ago
                    Did the All Wheel Cleaner stain the sealer you applied to the driveway or maybe remove the sealer?

Does pressure washing the driveway affect porosity?

I was thinking of sealing my walkway, but, if it reacts differently than concrete, I need to research it a lot more.

Did you test the cleaner on regular concrete? Have you contacted the manufacturer of the sealer you used?

I am sure MEGS has no way of testing the effects of the cleaner on a synthetic surface and was the cleaner applied to a sealer and not to the driveway?
                    Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                    by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner G9524 - Does contain some specialized acid in it.

While it does say "All Wheel Cleaner" on the label, it is NOT safe on uncoated aluminum or anodized wheels. The label actually states all "factory" wheels.

In addition, just confirmed with our chemists that the whitening you see on the concrete is not etched, it is just a really super deep cleaned area of your driveway.

Mike
                      Mike Pennington
                      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                      Meguiar's, Inc.
                      800-854-8073
                      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Morning,

Which Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner are you using: Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner or the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner?

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                          Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner G9524 - Does contain some specialized acid in it.

While it does say "All Wheel Cleaner" on the label, it is NOT safe on uncoated aluminum or anodized wheels. The label actually states all "factory" wheels.

In addition, just confirmed with our chemists that the whitening you see on the concrete is not etched, it is just a really super deep cleaned area of your driveway.

Mike
                          Thanks Mike. I like when you say chemist, it sounds really authoritative. I am using it on my two personally cars, the Civic has painted wheels for sure. The Suburban seems to have clear coated Alum alloy wheels. I did the metal-polish-on-a-rag trick and it came back clean, so that is supposed to mean they are safe for the AWC.

But I do like the idea of super deep cleaning my driveway. Have you guys thought about marketing the product as a concrete cleaner? If I could use the chemical sprayer from my pressure washer with the AWC, it would be unbeatable!

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                          Morning,

Which Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner are you using: Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner (I believe now discontinued, correct me if I am wrong Mike) or the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner?

Tim
                          Tim, I am using the Hot Rims AWC, thanks.
                          Greg D.

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
                            Thanks Mike. I like when you say chemist, it sounds really authoritative.
                            Hope that is a good thing

Just wanted to make ensure we were passing along the correct info.

Mike Pennington
                            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                            Meguiar's, Inc.
                            800-854-8073
                            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                              Hope that is a good thing

Just wanted to make ensure we were passing along the correct info.

That's what makes MOL such a unique place. We, mere mortals, have a conduit directly to the source of all power (or at least information). Plus, we can also access the opinions of very well respected trade professionals. THANKS!
                              Greg D.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');