• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spell Checking Problem Resolved!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spell Checking Problem Resolved!!!

Hi all,

In the event that you've installed any recent Microsoft recommended updates, and find that you've been bumped up to Internet Explorer Version 8, from version 7, which actually worked, PLEASE save the link below for future reference. It's a three minute task to change things back to how they were; that is, to change version 8 back to version 7, or 6 or whatever you were previously using. A three minute procedure that took me an entire day to sort out.

I'm happy again!!!

All day long everyone has been telling me that you can't remove Internet Explorer version 8. I also couldn't find it listed in "add or remove programs". Neither will Microsoft allow you to download the straight original I.E. version 7 once you've gone up to version 8.

Thanks to this handy dandy MS tutorial, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#ALTWin6 I found out that I had to go into "add or remove" and then into updates and delete the I.E. 8 UPDATE and NOT I.E. itself. I'm now back to version 7 again!

Spell checkin' like a champ again!!!
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
    BOB

Re: Spell Checking Problem Resolved!!!

Glad your troubleshooting paid off.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Hi,I'm using IE8.I upgraded about a month or so ago.I havn't came across any problems.

What's wrong with it,i.e.,you want to go back to 7?

I'm not a PC buff,so I'm just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        Hi,I'm using IE8.I upgraded about a month or so ago.I havn't came across any problems.

What's wrong with it,i.e.,you want to go back to 7?

I'm not a PC buff,so I'm just curious.
        No real big deal, but the spell checker wasn't highlighting the word in question and I couldn't finger out what it was trying to correct. I'm active in several other forums and I've really gotten in the habit of relying on it. It still worked, but without highlighting the word in question, you couldn't find out what it was correcting. I'ze be duh wurst spellar evir/
        "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
        BOB

Comment

Originally posted by RGP View Post
          No real big deal, but the spell checker wasn't highlighting the word in question and I couldn't finger out what it was trying to correct. I'm active in several other forums and I've really gotten in the habit of relying on it. It still worked, but without highlighting the word in question, you couldn't find out what it was correcting. I'ze be duh wurst spellar evir/
          Thanks Bob.you've got me there.I wouldn't even know where to start by looking for spell checker on any of the IE's,but I can see your point.

The only thing I noticed with IE8 when I first upgraded to it was it was a bit slow,but a few weeks later was a big update and it works much better now.Much like before.But I wouldn't say it's any better from IE7 that I can notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
            Thanks Bob.you've got me there.I wouldn't even know where to start by looking for spell checker on any of the IE's,but I can see your point.

The only thing I noticed with IE8 when I first upgraded to it was it was a bit slow,but a few weeks later was a big update and it works much better now.Much like before.But I wouldn't say it's any better from IE7 that I can notice.

Hi Eddie!

Next time you start a thread or do a post, after you're done typing, look in the upper right corner of the gray area. You'll see a "check mark" with a tiny abc above it. Try clicking on the check icon and see if it displays your misspellings. If you've typed without any errors it will also tell you that. Only problem on a reply, particularly if you're quoting is that it singles out a lot of the previous user names, and stuff here like IE7. If you can get it to work, you have the option of ignoring or correcting the misspelling. My only gripe was that when I went to version 8, that it wouldn't highlight the word in question, but even at that, it''s still a nifty feature when you just KNOW you're not spelling something correctly.

You may have to download a tiny iespellcheck program if you can't get it to work. Takes c. one minute. Lemme know and I can shoot you the link if you need it...

I'm dumb enough. I just figure I don't have to advertise it with putrid spelling!!!
            BOB

Comment

Okay.Thanks Bob,am trying the 'ABC' checker

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');