• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window wash in wiper fluid tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window wash in wiper fluid tank?

I have been really impressed with the results of the glass cleaner concentrate in the pro line. I was thinking the other day. Would it be safe to mix some of that in with the window washer fluid in a car and give it some more bite, and a less streaking finish? I have the p21s window fluid mixed in mine now and it works well but is expensive and a pain to acquire. Just wondering people thoughts on mixing some of the glass cleaner in with the window washes you can buy.
    If so relabeling it would make a great consumer product. Hint, Hint.

Re: Window wash in wiper fluid tank?

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette
    I have been really impressed with the results of the glass cleaner concentrate in the pro line. I was thinking the other day. Would it be safe to mix some of that in with the window washer fluid in a car and give it some more bite, and a less streaking finish? I have the p21s window fluid mixed in mine now and it works well but is expensive and a pain to acquire. Just wondering people thoughts on mixing some of the glass cleaner in with the window washes you can buy.
    If so relabeling it would make a great consumer product. Hint, Hint.
    I've never tried it for this purpose, but I don't think it would work. You don't want glass cleaners, (ours or any companies), to self-dry on paint and some spray always gets on the paint. Also, our glass cleaner is meant to be applied and wiped dry with a cloth for good results. Wipers don't do that.

I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think it will work.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Lt1Corvette:

Good question! Fortunately, I have a chemical engineer two doors down from my office and, while chatting with him about a job site that we're working on, I bounced this question off of him. In a nutshell, his response was as follows:

The windshield wiper fluids that are out there on the market are made to withstand the sloshing and such that a typical engine compartment will experience during a drive.

This sloshing will, ultimately, cause foaming and, unless the product is made to withstand the foaming action, it could lead to other problems (overflowing, pressure building within the reservoir tank, back flow into the pump for the sprayer nozzles, etc...)

Stick with regular washer fluid and/or something that is formulated specifically for the task.

I hope that helps out a bit!

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky
      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Thanks guys,
        It just struck my mind the other day and was wondering if it would work. Well you answered my question and judging by your answer I am happy I didn't go experiemnting.
        Thanks again.

Comment

I agree with what has been said but one of my first concerns in my area would be the freezing issue.
          *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Ok on this topic does any one know of a particular windshield washer fluid that would be less detrimental to paint? I mean I'm still on my factory fill at 32K miles and I hate to use it, but there's a rare time here and there you gotta use it, and it's going to end up getting on some paint.
            Later,
            Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
            Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
              Ok on this topic does any one know of a particular windshield washer fluid that would be less detrimental to paint?
              I wonder the same thing, I try to never use the windshield wiper wash on the 04 Pilot because I can't help but think the soap solution is going to leave a surface stain on the paint. Nothing that wouldn't wash off when I washed it, but I still try to never use the wash feature, and only use the wipers.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

You guys are sure lucky!!! Up here, using the windshield washer is a VERY common thing to do. I usually buy 5-6 gallons of windshield washer fluid to make it through the winter! So far, I have not had issues with the fluid staining the paint.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');