• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice on Swirl Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on Swirl Marks

Had some stubborn hard water spots on the hood of my car. It's a black (non-metallic) Volvo S60.

I applied Turtle Wax rubbing compound without realizing how abrasive that stuff is. While it did a good job removing the water spots, I now have terrible "spider-web" swirl marks. If I run my fingernail across the paint, I can feel the scrathes although my nail does not "catch" at all.

What's the best way to get rid of these?

Thanks!

Re: Need Advice on Swirl Marks

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound should always be followed with the use of Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (the one with the green plastic jar). While those two products produce good results, you can manage to fix the swirls with a majority of the scratch or swirl removers on the market.

Comment

SwirlX would also be a good option, since Meguiars products tend not to leave a terrible mess behind.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome to MOL!

What Part of Ohio are you from?

First of all, stop using Turtle Wax Compounds/Polishes.

Depending on how bad the scratches and swirl marks are now, I recommend you get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and SwirlX. These 2 products will restore your paint to a show car shine. Be sure to also get some High Quality Microfiber Towels. Once you are able to remove these defects. You have then maintain your finish by using proper car wash techniques.

Please be sure to review the following threads:
        5 Steps
        Hot Topics
        How-To Articles
        List O' Links
        Matt

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Mega - I'm from the Cincinnati area.

I should also mention that I tried applying one layer of regular Turtle Wax thinking that would help -- no luck. Do I need to remove that layer of wax before applying ScratchX?

Comment

Hey, I'm in the Liberty Twp./West Chester area...

Using either ScratchX, SwirlX, or Ultimate Compound will remove that layer of wax...

But again, I strongly recommend using Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax instead of Turtle Wax.
            Matt

Comment

The wax is one thing, its up to everyone to pick a wax they like.

But using a product that makes your paint worse is always a problem. You really would need to do a test spot with SwirlX to see if it is strong enough, then UC if needed.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');