• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need quick help with product order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need quick help with product order

Doing some wet sanding with 2000 grit followed by M105 and a solo wool light cutting pad (double sided pad en route). Once I get the sanding scratches out, what's the best method?

I followed with m205 and a yellow polishing pad and that wasn't aggressive enough. What is the best middle step? One thing I tried and seemed to maybe have worked, though the sun is going down, is to do another pass with the wool pad, but turn the speed down to maybe 1350 (one click below 3 on a Makita). I didn't see nearly the rotary swirls after that. I wonder if in using extra pressure getting sanding marks out that I also marred the surface a tad and need to slow it down.

If not that, what else could I try? M105 and a yellow polishing pad? Do most people with good technique step straight from M105/wool to M205/polishing pad? I consider myself to have fairly effective technique, but this one is getting me. The paint is pretty hard. It's a repaint on a 1980 Corvette.

Thanks!
    "Do the job right, or don't do it!" - Dad

Re: need quick help with product order

Go with M105 and the yellow polishing pad. M105 with a wool pad is very very aggressive. M105 with a polishing pad on a rotary is very aggressive too, so you are going to need to just step down the aggressiveness of your pad to a yellow polishing, then after that follow it with M205 on a yellow polishing pad.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

What I'm afraid of is that I may have pressed too hard and instilled swirls that need to be removed by a wool pad at a slower speed and lighter pressure. I did try M105 and a yellow polishing pad and I'm not sure that it worked as well.

Anyone else with ideas? I will do some testing with the yellow pad/M105. Gotta deliver by 3pm Sunday. Yikes!

Comment

I think I will do the M105/yellow pad combo. Any suggestions on speed? I'm thinking 1500 RPM. That seems like it would be just enough cut to get rid of wool swirls, but not create any new ones that are deep.

Comment

You can go at 1500 but always slow down towards the end to have even less cut and make it finish out nicer.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

We have a winner!

I don't know why I didn't do a better test spot before. I could see the edge of where I buffed with the M105/yellow pad- it was noticeably darker and virtually no swirls/holograms under the halogen light.

I used 1500 for a couple overlapping passes, then maybe 900-1100 for the next couple then stopped.

I will follow with:
            - rotary/M205/yellow polishing pad.
            - DA M205/black finishing pad

Will post pics tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');