• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110 or Flex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G110 or Flex

Originally posted by MarkH View Post
    It looks like all I would be doing is adding space between the nut and the backing plate along with the raised portion of the drive mechanism, while doing nothing to create space between the backing plate and the drive mechanism. It's true the nut won't seat itself all the way into the threaded shaft with the beefier washer in place, but the backing plate is already sitting "flush" with the drive mechanism. I'm just failing to see how adding a beefier washer here will accomplish anything. I'm not bashing your post at all Bounty, just looking for clarification on this issue that hasn't made sense to me since the first time I'd heard about it.
    Re-read the post. There are two washer insert locations. The thicker washer is placed on the backing plate inset portion as referenced in my pick demonstrating washer thickness. The thinner washer is placed in the backing plate receiver area as referenced in Kevin's pick (yellow area) as I stated here:

Originally posted by Bounty
    Kevin thanks for clearing up that post as upon re-reading it I see how someone could be confused as I split my answer up but didn't completely reference your pics as an example. The area shown above is what will provide "distance" from the housing. It is important to note that you want the thinnest possible washer here. The teeth on the gears are vertically oriented and if you space it too much you'll loose grip, cause potential damage to the teeth either on the machine or molded into the backing plate, or possibly loose sealing characteristics. Small and thin is the name of the game. This step is purely optional. Some guys have had success with it and others don't like the potential risk involved. Most guys have resolved any issues by simply adding the thicker washer to the inset portion on the "face" or attachment side of the backing plate and utilizing the Soft-Vib handle and "apex pressure" technique.
    Adding the thicker washer at the bolt location prevents the flexing and warping of the older version's supplied washer under off-angle pressure.

Let me know if I can clear anything else up...

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
      Adding the thicker washer at the bolt location prevents the flexing and warping of the older version's supplied washer under off-angle pressure.

Let me know if I can clear anything else up...
      That does answer my question!

In my previous post I was only referring to the washer that went at the bolt location. I thought people were putting them there and expecting the space between the unit and backing plate to increase.

Comment

What do you use to lubricate the felt ring?

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');