• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makita or Flex Rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita or Flex Rotary?

I'm thinking about plunging in and getting a rotary. What package/machine do you think would be good to go with

Makita:

Flex:

Suggestions on pads to get?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Re: Makita or Flex Rotary?

Just bought my makita 3 days ago. Love it. Never tried flex RB before. so can't say much. For makita i love.
    1. Soft start
    2. 'Clicking' speed dial
    3. The trigger lock
    4. The head can be hold not as hot like hitachi.

But then because i never tried flex before. So cant help much here. sorry

Comment

I just bought myself a new Makita 9227cx3 myself.

The reason? Because of the 600rpm slow speed (for applying LSP's if needed) and slow start up trigger.

And the pads, I got these with the backing plate

2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
      2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Wow thats a great deal you got there. I bought LC pads. its cheaper here in my place than MGs pads.

Comment

Tough call Andrew. I have the luxury of the G110, FLEX 3401, and the Makita... but I would say I reach for my Makita the most, and the G110 after that. The only time I reach for the FLEX anymore is when something just won't finish out right with the Makita and I am in a hurry.

I just love how effortless it is to use the Makita, where as the FLEX wants to fight you and grab the surface more (most of the time). When I am detailing for 10+ hours the reduced work comes into play.

It might just be a wacky personal preference, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Tough call Andrew. I have the luxury of the G110, FLEX 3401, and the Makita... but I would say I reach for my Makita the most, and the G110 after that. The only time I reach for the FLEX anymore is when something just won't finish out right with the Makita and I am in a hurry.

I just love how effortless it is to use the Makita, where as the FLEX wants to fight you and grab the surface more (most of the time). When I am detailing for 10+ hours the reduced work comes into play.

It might just be a wacky personal preference, though.
            On this one I think he's referring to whether to get a Makita rotary or the Flex rotary (3403) as referenced in his links. If that's the case you really cannot go wrong with either one.

I have used three rotaries in my life...the Porter Cable, the Makita, and the Flex. The weight of the Flex is obviously an advantage as is the ability to wield it longer with less fatigue. Ergonomics are nice as are quality and fit-and-finish. Using the Flex rotary is really what sealed the deal for me and made me purchase the Flex dual-action polisher. It's got all the features such as variable speed from 1.1k to 3.7k rpm's and onboard electronics for speed control, start-up protection, overload protection, and temperature monitoring. Also has the same soft-start/variable speed trigger and speed switch design as the Flex DA. Automatic shut-off if the carbon brushes wear down to save the unit. Oh and did I mention it weighs only 4.75 pounds...versus 6.6 pounds for the Makita? The other thing that turned me off to the Makita was the looped handle design versus the Soft-Vib handle of the Flex 3403. The Makita's low speed setting of 600 rpm's is indeed the lowest of any rotary I've seen but I've never applied an LSP by rotary so not an issue for me.

Best bet would be to see if you can test run some rotaries before committing but either of your choices are good ones...

Comment

I agree. you should test this two Rotaries first before purchasing. Different people have different taste. It the best way to know which one you prefer.

Comment

This may sound dumb, but how would I be able to test out the two rotaries?

Comment

I have not used the Makita rotary, but I have the Flex 3403 rotary along with a Porter cable 7428 and some other 50 dollar rotary I got off of ebay. The Flex is the only one I use due to it's weight, it's very light and easy to control. It has a 10 Amp motor, so the power is not an issue with it, but I would say the 1100 RPM's (lowest setting) could be an issue for someone and the stock handle, I removed mine and used a side handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                    This may sound dumb, but how would I be able to test out the two rotaries?
                    Borrow from someone if you want to run them on a paint surface or go to a local distributor and ask if they have demo models to play around with a bit in the store. Being in California and provided all the members we have from there I'd venture someone would let you come over and experiment a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                      It has a 10 Amp motor, so the power is not an issue with it, but I would say the 1100 RPM's (lowest setting) could be an issue for someone and the stock handle, I removed mine and used a side handle.
                      Why exactly does 1100 RPM's (lowest ssetting) create an issue? Are you referencing for applying LSP's? I have a G110, so I would beusing that to apply LSP's anyways

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                      Borrow from someone if you want to run them on a paint surface or go to a local distributor and ask if they have demo models to play around with a bit in the store. Being in California and provided all the members we have from there I'd venture someone would let you come over and experiment a bit...

I know Meguiar's has DeWalt and Makita rotaries. I could try out the Makita there, but I have never used a rotary before and would not want to test it on my truck, nor does my truck need the attention of a rotary.

I guess I could always go get a scrap panel (which I would do anyways to learn on) and bring it to meguiar's and try it out

Comment

I never said 1100 RPM's was a problem for me, but I've read where others like to finish down or "jewel" at 600-900 RPM's. I personally think 205 on a black finishing pad at 1100 RPM's looks marvelous!

It's a good machine, and I could say wtih confidence you would not be disappointed, but also you couldn't go wrong with Makita either. I guess it all depends if a rotary being lightweight is important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                          On this one I think he's referring to whether to get a Makita rotary or the Flex rotary (3403) as referenced in his links. If that's the case you really cannot go wrong with either one.

I have used three rotaries in my life...the Porter Cable, the Makita, and the Flex. The weight of the Flex is obviously an advantage as is the ability to wield it longer with less fatigue. Ergonomics are nice as are quality and fit-and-finish. Using the Flex rotary is really what sealed the deal for me and made me purchase the Flex dual-action polisher. It's got all the features such as variable speed from 1.1k to 3.7k rpm's and onboard electronics for speed control, start-up protection, overload protection, and temperature monitoring. Also has the same soft-start/variable speed trigger and speed switch design as the Flex DA. Automatic shut-off if the carbon brushes wear down to save the unit. Oh and did I mention it weighs only 4.75 pounds...versus 6.6 pounds for the Makita? The other thing that turned me off to the Makita was the looped handle design versus the Soft-Vib handle of the Flex 3403. The Makita's low speed setting of 600 rpm's is indeed the lowest of any rotary I've seen but I've never applied an LSP by rotary so not an issue for me.

Best bet would be to see if you can test run some rotaries before committing but either of your choices are good ones...
                          Hah, that's what I get for not clicking the link.

I can't help you there Andrew as I have not used the FLEX rotary.

Comment

Bringing this thread up from the dead, I never did purchase a rotary, but I probably will this summer.

Just wondering if anyone else has any opinions on the flex rotary vs the makita rotary?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');