• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware of passing 18 wheelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of passing 18 wheelers

I was driving on I-5 in San Diego this morning trailing a newer Nissan Altima in the #4 lane and an 18 wheeler in the next lane. All of a sudden there was a lot of dust and debris, and the Nissan starts wobbling and hard braking before the driver pulled over to the side of the road. I pulled in behind to see what happened and if I could help.

The first thing I noticed was that the driver-side fenders and doors are dimpled, like someone ran past and randomly hit it with a mallet. The driver was a little shaken but OK. He explained that he heard a bang and realized that the big rig blew a tire, and the treads just peppered his car. Poor guy wasn't even aware of the damage until he got out and saw all the dents.

His car was OK to drive otherwise. I gave him my contact information and told him I would provide an account of what I saw. The truck driver never stopped, but probably didn't realize what happened.

Re: Beware of passing 18 wheelers

Retreads are bad about that.
    r. b.

Comment

hopefully he got the trucks license plate or at least the operator number on the back...
      2007 Flint Mica Scion tC

Comment

Know many people in the Roush world that have had those re-treads destroy the front of the car and more...

Comment

I hit a retread on the interstate one night, crushed the front of my Volvo ripped off some of the coverings under the car. Wasn't a pretty situation. Most insurance companies consider it an act of God. If it was moving, then you can claim it...if it's sitting on the road, it's your own fault.
          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

My dad hit one in his car, worst part is he really does care! He has a lexus es and it has a little plastic grill in the front bumper, the tire tread cracked it all and busted and cracked his lower bumber! Plus his car is peppered with rock chips It makes me sad looking at the front of his car haha

Comment

I saw one blow out next to me. I was just thankful I wasnt behind it and didnt get it.

Comment

Yikes, glad to hear everyone was ok. I've had a small piece hit the side of my truck a while back and dented the back passenger door. I had my windows open too. The dangerous part would have been if that piece of tread was a bit higher then it would have gone into the cab. The sound of that small piece of rubber sounded like a sledge hammer hit my truck. I could only imagine what it was like for that driver you were trailing.
                Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

I know they are here and there on the highways in CA, but aren't re-treads actually illegal in the state? Something I heard at one point; curious if anyone knows.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    I know they are here and there on the highways in CA, but aren't re-treads actually illegal in the state? Something I heard at one point; curious if anyone knows.
                    Don't think so...I can ask my dad, he drives a truck all over the US.

Also, re-treads are not always the cause. Many times the tires are not properly inflated, plus the added weight from the trailers and heat from the road cause the tires to blow out. Many shipping companies will intentionally overload their trailers because the savings in shipping costs for a second trip are less than the cost of overwight tickets.
                    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                      Don't think so...I can ask my dad, he drives a truck all over the US.

Also, re-treads are not always the cause. Many times the tires are not properly inflated, plus the added weight from the trailers and heat from the road cause the tires to blow out. Many shipping companies will intentionally overload their trailers because the savings in shipping costs for a second trip are less than the cost of overwight tickets.
                      I drive truck for a living. Most if not all blow-outs are caused by an underinflated tire. Heat causes the tread to separate from the casing or causes the tire to blow-out. There is a pretty strict quality control standard used in the manufacture of re-treads....otherwise those companies would lose their shirts if their tires always separated.

The driver is responsible for knowing if his trailer is overloaded. He's the one that gets the ticket....not the shipper. I don't know about shipping companies intentionally overloading their trailers. Most big, well known companies don't do this. If a trailer is overweight, the driver is responsible and can have freight removed before leaving the shipper. Provided they have a scale in their yard that is!
                      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I've never bought retreads...They should be done away with these days.There are so many cheap new tyres available today.

I've seen too many accidents and blow outs with these.

Comment

Yeaup, I usually avoid big trucks at all cost. Either beat the engine a little and pass them, or wait patiently with a minimum distance.

Comment

I can understand truckers getting retreads with the way the economy is and with desiel prices being so high. I always give truckers ample room just incase a situation like this happens.
                            Two things I never do is tailgate a truck and sit beside them on the highway. Being a trucker in the military I know first hand how things can go from peachy to ohh !#$@ in a heartbeat.

I've seen more accidents caused by idiot drivers where the trucker gets blamed, maybe this section isn't covered well enough in drivers ed.
                            For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Here in the Charlotte Metro area, truckers are not allowed to drive in the 3rd and 4th lanes on the interstate.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');