• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash and Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wash and Clay

Ok I went for a job interview today because there's a new dealership just ouside of Willard and they were looking for a Detailer so I was all over it. I go there to talk to the guy and really seemed to know his stuff. He's been buying, detailing and reselling the cars for the past 16 years so one would think he knows what he is doing.

However, I ponder this question. He told me that when they get new cars in fresh from the factory they clay them firsthand and never wash them because it takes too much time. He said if you use some of those car washes with gloss enhancers or wax in it, they will reduce the effectiveness of the clay. Meaning, the gloss enhancers or wax left behind by the car wash, the clay will just glide over the surface and not pick up anything. He said if you do need to wash a car, use a soap such as Pamolive or Dawn then do your claying. Anybody have an explanation of this?? I can see his point about the surface being slippery from the car wash but never thought of it this way, although it does make sense,,,,,,AR

Hi Airborne Ranger,

If you look at the new Last Touch quick detailer,

~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Touch

Meguiar's Last Touch Spray Detailer produces incredible depth, shine and gloss. This spray-on, wipe-off product has a unique blend of polymeric lubricating agents that gently removes dust, fingerprints, smudges and other contaminates, leaving a flawless, showroom shine.

D-15501 1 gallon
    D-15505 5 gallon

Ready to Use
    Can be used as a lubricant for Meguiar's clay, dilute 1:1 for this application.

Recommended replacement for Final Detail

~~~~~~~~~~~

You'll see that in order to use this quick detailer as a clay lubricant, you need to first dilute it 1:1 with water. That's because if you use it undiluted, it's makes the surface too slippery for the clay to abrade and lift contaminants from the finish.

I don't know what to say about his choice of washing cars with dish soap, maybe if you get the job you can introduce him to our Hyper Wash.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyper-Wash

Typical dilution rates are obsolete when comparing them with Meguiar's Hyper-Wash. Using innovative techniques Meguiar's has created a product that produces rich, stable foam at an unbelievable dilution rate of 400:1 (yes 400 that is NOT a typo). Its biodegradable formula safely and effectively lifts dirt and grime off all surfaces.

D-11001 1 gallon
    D-11005 5 gallon

Dilution 400:1

~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok Thanks Mike I'm really hoping for this job because my Meguiars stuff is really starting to look sad and running low I can only suggest to him trying out Meguiars Detailer Line, after all he is the boss of his business.

I think he uses Prowax right now but I'm not fully sure there,,,,,,AR

Comment

Does the person use clay without lube on a dirty car? How does the clay bar move without lube? I have used clay many times and found that if I do not have enough lube on the surface the bar sticks to the car. Just another glimpse behind the curtain.

Eric
        Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Hey Airborne Ranger

Good luck with the job interview! Hope you get the job!

If you do, I would also be sure to use a dedicated lubricant when claying. Just IMHO!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Airborne Ranger,

If you need the job............ just say "yep" to everthing he tells you! I wouldn't make any "waves" by suggesting anything to him. If he's been working at it for that many years, he's probably set in his ways............ especially if he's been working at a dealership all that time.

Many, many, many years ago (1968 to be exact ) my buddy and I worked in the new/used car "get ready" section of a dealership, which was part of the body shop in that particular dealership. Anyhow, we learned then about many of the tricks, and shortcuts that most (but not all) dealerships take to "detail" vehicles. Let's face it, their job is do a LOT of vehicles very quickly, and give the "appearance" of a detail.

With that being said, any vehicle that is clayed without washing because it is only a "little bit dirty" will suffer the consequences to someone who knows what they are looking at. Of course, very few people who buy a new car are going to ask to see the vehicle in the correct light, and walk around it looking for spider web marks/scratches. That's why dealerships get away with that stuff.............. most people don't know, and most don't care.

Good luck with the job!
            Last edited by Boss_429; Nov 6, 2004, 05:55 AM.
            Boss_429

Comment

Clay would remove wax... Good luck with the job! Did they ask for specific experience or something like that?
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');