• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some Help On My First Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help On My First Boat

I'm going to be doing my first boat detail this Friday and need some input. It's a Triton bass boat.

Mostly on what product I need to remove the oxidation. Would something like D151 work good or should I pick up some Marine products? If so what do you think I need? A one step would be better if it has enough cut.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

Re: Need Some Help On My First Boat

I wish I could help ya here, some people on my street have a boat I was thinking of leaving a card on but the thing is huge im sure someone has some boat experience and can help ya out

Comment

Hum? I'm thinking treat it like an RV. I use #21 for a one step, but you might have to figure it out if you need a more agressive technique. You'll fiqure it out. It shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

Gel coat is tougher than auto paints so Marine cleaners are generally more abrasive. If you want a one step I'd go with M67 One Step Compound from the Marine Line. It should remove most of the oxidation although you may need to make a couple passes on the more stubborn spots. 3M also has a very good Marine line. I'd say save yourself some frustration and get a dedicated product from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by erobertson View Post
          Gel coat ....
          Hum, this doesn't look like gell coat to me, it looks like paint.

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by erobertson View Post
            Gel coat is tougher than auto paints so Marine cleaners are generally more abrasive. If you want a one step I'd go with M67 One Step Compound from the Marine Line. It should remove most of the oxidation although you may need to make a couple passes on the more stubborn spots. 3M also has a very good Marine line. I'd say save yourself some frustration and get a dedicated product from the start.
            I agree fully. Since that is gel coat, I would use M67 on a piece of Terry cloth and really work it in. Follow that with M44 or M49 with the DA on a Polishing pad. Seal with Flagship Marine Wax as I like it better on gel coats rather than an automotive wax.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I remembered reading that gel coat was harder but wasn't sure how much or how much more aggressive the marine products where. The owner was pretty much sure it was ruined and he wouldn't be able to fix it. I'm really excited to get it looking new again for him. Plus I always wanted a few blue bottles! lol

I'll try to get some after photos too!
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');