• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound Review

Finally got a chance to try this product two days ago - on black paint nonetheless.

Ultimate Compound is like nothing I have tried before. I applied it with the G100, and the product had very good workability characteristics...much like the 80s series of products. Removal with a terry towel was a pill however. There were times when I thought I was trying to break up and remove #7 polish instead!

UC tended to smear with Meguiar's Super Plush terry towel...to the point that I had to resort to using a microfiber towel for the final wipe. The MF towel removed the residue nicely, but just when I thought I was ready to wax, the evening sun exposed some horrendous towel marks (from much terry towel wiping no doubt).

I then decided to hit these areas with D151 / W-8006 combo on the 5 setting, let it dry to a touch and remove the residue with a MF towel. Later, I came back with a coat of #21, and the finish really stood out.

Ultimate Compound truly does leave the finish ready to wax, but I would suggest removing the residue with a good quality microfiber towel - such as Meguiar's Supreme Shine MF, or you may run into what I did, and have to redo the panels.

As for UC's ability to remove paint defects, I was disappointed to say the least. It will remove oxidation with ease, but it wasn't too good at removing below surface etching. First, I started out with a W-8006 pad at the 5 setting on the G100. And after getting nowhere with this combo, I went against my better judgment and changed to a W-7006 pad at the same 5 setting. That combo worked the best of the two, but no better than #83 DACP.

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on Ultimate Compound since it was my first time using it, but I just can't see where this product warrants such a high aggressiveness ranking. If I had to rank it, I would put equal to maybe, say, MPPC (Mediallion Premium Paint Cleaner), but less than DACP (Dual Action Cleaner Polish).

To UC’s credit however, it did leave an incredible gloss.
    r. b.

Re: Ultimate Compound Review

Well, microfiber really is what you should be using for removal. As you noted, the terry can scratch if you scrub.

Also, if you are needing to scrub, odds are you are working the product too long and letting it dry too much. I've used UC several times on various vehicles and it has always been easy to remove. Try shortening your work cycle.

As for not being able to get out etching, keep in mind that type II water spot etching, or even bird dropping etching can go completely through the clear...so deep that it can't possibly be removed without a re-paint.

Comment

Some of your points I agree with, the aggressiveness scale of 12 is no where near correct. It's more like an 8
      This dissappointed me as far as defect removal, serious acid rain removal
      As the first meguiars product I have tried (had a megs rep with me at my shop) in thirteen years, it hasnt given me any reason to add them into my arsenal again, buffing pads being the only products I do have of megs

I believe that with the current hard paints and future paint finishes possibly become harder, a switch to zirconium oxide abrasives instead of aluminium, kaolin clay or diatomaceous earth could be the way to go for paint correction

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Glossy View Post
        Some of your points I agree with, the aggressiveness scale of 12 is no where near correct. It's more like an 8
        This dissappointed me as far as defect removal, serious acid rain removal
        As the first meguiars product I have tried (had a megs rep with me at my shop) in thirteen years, it hasnt given me any reason to add them into my arsenal again, buffing pads being the only products I do have of megs

I believe that with the current hard paints and future paint finishes possibly become harder, a switch to zirconium oxide abrasives instead of aluminium, kaolin clay or diatomaceous earth could be the way to go for paint correction
        I believe somewhat officially it is closer to a 6/7 than 8 even. Remember, this is a CONSUMER grade compound product intended to be safe for the greenest of detailers with no experience.

That said, with that serious acid rain etching did you end up getting them out with a different product? Or did you find they were simply too deep to safely be removed period?

It's an important point because etching often is too deep for any product to safely remove. Of course, there is no way of knowing without trying!

If I can take 2-3 passes with M105 on etching via hand or rotary and they hardly budge, if at all, then I know to just write them off as not worth pursuing.

Another thing to consider is that a single attempt on a single paint type is hardly a worthy test of a product. Even the best of products (think M105, hardly arguable that it isn't the best compound out there) will occasionally meet a paint that just doesn't respond well to it. It's a possibility that you either A.) Have a defect far too deep for ANYTHING to remove it short of clearcoat burn-through or repainting, B.) It found a rare paint that doesn't play nicely with it, or C.) It simply lacks the cut for the job. It is of course possible that you need something stronger, but again, you are using a consumer grade product on what you said yourself are "severe" etchings.

That's my two cents anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Well, microfiber really is what you should be using for removal. As you noted, the terry can scratch if you scrub.

Also, if you are needing to scrub, odds are you are working the product too long and letting it dry too much. I've used UC several times on various vehicles and it has always been easy to remove. Try shortening your work cycle.
          I would agree that MF towels should be used to remove this product. It's just that I like to use terry towels for removal of cleaners, because of the dirt that cleaners remove. I prefer to save my MF towels for the polish & wax removal.

Not sure if I'm working it in too long. I worked it in about as long as any other cleaner till it started to dust just a bit. I would assume if I could wipe UC off in one or two wipes with a MF towel then the product wouldn't be too dry for removal.

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          As for not being able to get out etching, keep in mind that type II water spot etching, or even bird dropping etching can go completely through the clear...so keep that it can't possibly be removed without a re-paint.

Obviously, there were a few spots that were beyond fixing, but there were many other lighter etches that could have responded to something stronger...like #1 medium cut cleaner, for example.

I will continue to experiment with Ultimate Cleaner, but for serious defect removal, I am going to rely on the stuff in the tan bottles for now.
          r. b.

Comment

If you work UC until it dusts I believe you have worked it too long. It works fairly quickly and shouldn't have to be worked until the verge of being totally dry.

I would be interested to see how those areas that you think have hope to respond to some traditional products- keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post

I will continue to experiment with Ultimate Cleaner, but for serious defect removal, I am going to rely on the stuff in the tan bottles for now.
              Oops!

Meant to say Compound.
              r. b.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');