• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Meguiar's sell a water spot preventer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Meguiar's sell a water spot preventer?

We have hard water here in Roanoke County; indeed, even the rain water seems to be hard. Consequently, I find myself struggling, and failing, to keep water spots from developing on the paint surface of my black Honda. I do my best to keep the entirety of the car wet while I am washing it, but still the water spots appear after I have dried the car. And being the dolt that I am, I usually do not notice them until days later. I cannot afford the purchase of a water filtration system, so I need a product that I can spray on the surface immediately prior to drying that will help to prevent the development of water spots.

My internet research has found one such product formulated precisely for this purpose. Here is what the label says that it will accomplish:

_____ is a dedicated drying aid, designed to reduce the chances of marring during the drying process where rinse water and a dry microfibre are being used against the surface of the paint. By introducing lubrication, any remaining dirt or sediment is less likely to marr the surface. _____ also contains ingredients to minimise water spots, by reducing limescale deposits and breaking up water beads. In addition, this bead busting behaviour increases the surface area of sitting water, making it easier to soak up with a microfibre.
    Now this sounds like the kind of product that I need, and I suspect there are many others out there who also find themselves struggling with water spots. I suggest that Meguiar's consider the development of a dedicated drying aid.

Now perhaps one or more of Meguiar's quick detailers can be used for such a purpose and indeed are used for such a purpose by some. Last Touch, I know, is often used as a drying aid. If LT can be effectively employed to reduce the formation of water spots, then I think that Meguiar's should include this in the product description, with a suggested dilution ratio. If one is going to use Last Touch as a drying aid, should it be used at full strength or would 1/1 be sufficient?

But perhaps a dedicated product, namely, one that contains ingredients whose express purpose is to minimize or prevent water spots, is still needed. I certainly would buy this product. How about you?

Cheers,
    Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Should Meguiar's sell a water spot preventer?

Al, I personally believe that LT works fairly well for this purpose. I use LT to remove fresh water spots and it is incredibly good at doing so. If I am detailing alone and have a large vehicle I take my 1:1 LT and spritz down the rest of the vehicle if I feel that it is drying faster than I can get to it. This helps significantly.

Of course, I also use it 128:1 (water to LT) for a lubricating wash agent in a rinseless wash system and it works wonders for me there as well. Doing 1 panel at a time inside the garage totally eliminates the fear of water spots.

Comment

Sounds like it would be neat, but my water isn't very hard. QD takes it off if I missed any areas.

It seems like LT 1:1 with distilled water would work as a drying aid.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

What Meguiar's could do, is release something along the lines of Mr. Clean AutoDry.

Not necessarily with a soap, but with the filter instead.

Imagine, a Meguiar's spray gun with a filter that we can buy in BULK that leaves a waterspot free finish.

I'd buy it.
        2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
        2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Al, I personally believe that LT works fairly well for this purpose. I use LT to remove fresh water spots and it is incredibly good at doing so. If I am detailing alone and have a large vehicle I take my 1:1 LT and spritz down the rest of the vehicle if I feel that it is drying faster than I can get to it. This helps significantly.

Of course, I also use it 128:1 (water to LT) for a lubricating wash agent in a rinseless wash system and it works wonders for me there as well. Doing 1 panel at a time inside the garage totally eliminates the fear of water spots.
          +1 on LT. I prefer it's effectiveness and versatility over UQD.

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post
            What Meguiar's could do, is release something along the lines of Mr. Clean AutoDry.

Imagine, a Meguiar's spray gun with a filter that we can buy in BULK that leaves a waterspot free finish.

I'd buy it.
            I'd be 2nd in line! Great idea!

Comment

Sounds great, but I have a water softener and I still get water spots. Though after I dry and add Gold Class wax, I don't see the spots. It would be nice to have someting like that on hand.
              Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

Mark,

It sounds like you're using Last Touch just like ONR. Is this the process you're going share with all of us (in detail) once your software arrives?

Mike
                Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post

I'd buy it.
                  I'd buy one and a bulk pack of filters to accompany it, no question.
                  Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Comment

Well, I don't know anything about the "process" you mention, but I did trip across this from Mark : http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ONR#post326053

Regards

Christian

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                    Mark,

It sounds like you're using Last Touch just like ONR. Is this the process you're going share with all of us (in detail) once your software arrives?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');