• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuff I see on other forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff I see on other forums

So I recently got back into the hobby of radio controlled cars and joined a couple different forums that had some neat features.

One of them was notification of Visitor Messages. If you go to your profile now, you might see people have left Visitor Messages that you never knew were there. The forum that I was on had notifications similar to a Private Message notification letting you know that you had a Visitor Message.

I think that would be a great addition to the forum as most of us don't check our Visitor Messages.

The other feature I liked was a "Thanks" button. It is similar to reputation but only the original poster could do it. So if I started a thread with a question and somebody helped me out, I could "Thank" them.

I know it sounds similar to reputation but I think the word "Thank" is better suited and I like how only the original poster of the thread could "Thank" the person.

What have other people seen on forums that they liked?

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Re: Stuff I see on other forums

I like the Thanks button as well, but on my Chargers forum it's not limited to the OP of a thread, but any member responding to the a post in the thread. You can't thank yourself, but you can thank other members for their contributions.

I also like a quick links (or Ultimate Quik Links ) drop down menu that allows a member to go directly to his profile and view stats such as past posts, threads, or thanked posts. You have to kind of hunt around MOL for components of your profile, unless I'm just missing something easier here on the forum.

Comment

The moderators will not be surprised to learn (wink, wink) that I like the ability to edit one's postings without a time limit. This freedom is granted on all the other detailing forums of which I am a member. I know it can sometimes be abused, but for a person like me who hates to discover that he has misspelled or omitted a word or has committed a grammatical blunder () the edit option is a godsend.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
        The moderators will not be surprised to learn (wink, wink) that I like the ability to edit one's postings without a time limit. This freedom is granted on all the other detailing forums of which I am a member. I know it can sometimes be abused, but for a person like me who hates to discover that he has misspelled or omitted a word or has committed a grammatical blunder () the edit option is a godsend.
        Believe it or not, we have attempted to quietly relax this SEVERAL times and every time almost immediately someone abuses the privilege egregiously and ruins it for everyone. It's sad really, but it's the way it is I suppose.

As always, feel free to PM me if you need a change- I know a lot of you do. I also fix typos when I see them.

Comment

I for one, would like to see notification of the visitor messages. When I stumbled on these I was shocked to find out that they were a couple of months old. I felt bad that I did not respond in a timely manner to those people who took the time to leave me a message.

As for the thank you option, I could go either way on this. Either add it to the features, or a while back, there was some talk of changing the name of "reputation". Change it to "thank you". Like I said either way is fine for me.

Good idea's Ryan.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have seen on an F150 forum (Mark you know about this) a button on the upper right hand corner of each person's post that will take you to that posters gallery. I think that would be nice, then we could see the person's pictures pretty easily.

Also maybe some sort of easier interface to organize your galleries and get the code to post that picture in your posts. The one now is very time consuming and has caused me not to use MOL as my image hosting.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Good ideas guys, keep 'em coming

Comment

Unfortunately, due to a bug or corruption in the MOL VBulletin application or DB, a many of us don't receive notifications. Nor will our names show up on the MOL home page under "Today's Birthdays" when our birthdays roll around.

I mentioned this a few months ago and Mike Phillips said the Web Master said everything checked out fine. Yet the issue continues to persist.

vBulletin Phone Support can be purchase for 1 month for $60.00 and includes a toll free number.

Mike

Note: The above should be read with only the slightest bit of frustration in the tone. Even with the bug MOL is my favorite Forum on the Internet.
                Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                  Unfortunately, due to a bug or corruption in the MOL VBulletin application or DB, a many of us don't receive notifications.
                  I still don't get my notifications either and it is really frustrating to see that people posted to a thread asking me something then I never see them until 3 months later.

Something is still not right.

Ryan

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      I for one, would like to see notification of the visitor messages. When I stumbled on these I was shocked to find out that they were a couple of months old. I felt bad that I did not respond in a timely manner to those people who took the time to leave me a message.
                      +2 or 3, whatever it is now

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                      I have seen on an F150 forum (Mark you know about this) a button on the upper right hand corner of each person's post that will take you to that posters gallery. I think that would be nice, then we could see the person's pictures pretty easily.
                      I know that one too I like it though! Have the same thing on some other forums I'm on.
                      Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                      Unfortunately, due to a bug or corruption in the MOL VBulletin application or DB, a many of us don't receive notifications. Nor will our names show up on the MOL home page under "Today's Birthdays" when our birthdays roll around.
                      LOL, I just though no one likes me Good catch.

Comment

The Thanks button may not be such a good idea. People who contributed without getting thanks may feel bad, offended, ripped off, left out, etc.

It had happened before. One person tried so hard to help people around the forums, but he did not get thanked for once. He took it personally and decided to leave the forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');