• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock Chips On Lexus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Chips On Lexus

I have a few rock chips on my hood of my Lexus ES.

I planned on using 2000 grit paper to clean them and the surrounding area.
    Then use M105 with my G110 Polishing Pad
    Apply Touch Up Paint
    use M105 Again
    M205
    NXT 2.0

Anything you would change in this process?
    Matt

Re: Rock Chips On Lexus

First off, when you typically fill in chips, you clean out the area thoroughly, use IPA, then apply the touch up paint. Once you have let it dry for about what I believe should be a day, then you hit it with the 2000 grit.

However I really doubt that sanding marks will come out using a G110 polishing pad and M105.

Even if you step it up to a cutting pad on speed 6 M105 and the G110, it is very likely that these sanding marks will not come out completely.

I believe you could go ahead and try to remove them by hand, but I am not positive on that.

The only sure way that I know of to get out sanding marks is through using a rotary. Do you have one and know how to use it? If so, go ahead and use that instead.

Otherwise you might not want to go ahead and touch your paint with the sandpaper until you have a definite plan of how to get the sanding marks out.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Although some of the steps presented by the poster is not perfect, I believe the G110 may be sufficient in removing some 2500 or 3000 grit sandpaper marks. 2000 grit with the G110 will probably be really tough to remove without a rotary, however.

I have seen the PC7424 (non-XP) remove sanding marks with an orange pad and some boutique-esque polish.

Comment

When you are sanding try to keep the affected area to the smallest area that will level out the repair. I usually have good luck removing the sanding marks by hand with 105 and a small piece of terry cloth as an applicator. You will probably have to repeat the 105 several times with a little passion. Once the deepest marks are removed I switch to the DA to finish out the repair. We have both an IS and an RX and I find the IS paint seems harder to get a smooth repair.

Comment

First of all, are you going to use water paint (water paint base) the normal one (oil)? remember if you are using water paint, it will eventually come off. Now, here are some tips you can do.
          1. Sand it with 2000 grit (just right in the hole).
          2. Then, apply the paint (just give it some color wait for a few hours until it dries.
          3. Put a drop of clear coat.
          4. With 1500 sand paper, sand it down until you it is flat and you cannot see the drop.
          5. Hit it with 3000.
          6. Now, use (ultra cut or extra cut) compound (wool pad) (meguiars) with a real buffer (makita, dewalt) at 1,200 rpms or 2,000 rpms (no more than that)
          7. Use swirl mark remover (polishing pad) from 3m (it is usually gray or black).
          8. To have a better finish use the Ultrafina from 3m with the blue pad same buffer and same rpms (above #6) (since 3m bought meguiars I can talk about this here right?)
          That is how you can fix the rock chips. Let me know if it worked for you.

Comment

Here are some pics of the abuse on the lexus.

Most of these are pretty deep/bad. Could you tell if I should wetsand or just try M105 with each? I do not have a rotary buffer, just a G110 and polishing pads. I have nail polish type of touch up paint, and 1 pint of actual paint from leftover repaint of front bumper.

This is a weird scratch, it's almost like it is above surface and bumpy.

Here is a scuff on the bumper

Rock Chips:

(Mother already "attempted" to use touch up paint a while back)

This one has a dent:

(Deep Car wash scratch from previous owner, On top quarter panel)

Matt

Comment

Few More Pics:

This is right above the wheel well, it looks like the previous owner rubbed against something...

Matt

Comment

Megafast, it looks like a lot of that stuff, with the exception of the actual rock chips, looks like the best way to remove them or make them less noticeable is a light wet-sand followed with a rotary, or hand application (especially those last ones)

I know you can take out sand marks by hand, but sometimes it is hard to get them completely out by hand and that is when you need to go to using a rotary. I would be hesitant to sand my paint if I didn't have the comfort of a rotary and the knowledge of how to use it to remove sanding marks.

Also a G110 and polishing pads will not be anywhere near enough to take out sanding marks. I've seen it demonstrated before, the white sanded area will go away, but your paint will look really really dull in that area.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Yeah, it seems wetsanding isn't an option right now.

What can I do with what I have:
                  M105/205
                  G110, Polishing Pads
                  Plenty of touch up paint
                  Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');