• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Cleaner

So i used to always use the deep crystal paint cleaner, followed by the deep crystal polish, and then nxt 2.0 wax. But the other day I ran out of the cleaner. So I went to 2 different autozones and a walmart ( all of which have always had it) and none of them had the cleaner or the polish. They all had the new product line though. I saw on the website that megs still makes it, but im wondering why stores arent carrying it anymore.

So the question is, if they arent going to carry the older products, what new products should I use? I know swirlX is a good polish, but I dont know if I should use colorX for a cleaner because it says its an all in one. Any help would be appreciated

Derek
    Pretty from far.... But far from Pretty

Re: Paint Cleaner

The DC Paint Cleaner is being phased out, with SwirlX repalcing it.

The DC Polish is still being made, but with SwirlX being a cleaner/polish, it is also a bit more optional now.

ColorX is a cleaner/wax, and is milder than SwirlX. Its a great product though, esp for a quick detail.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What about ultimate compound cleaner then? I'm new to this and was trying to find the deep crystal polish as well with no luck because I have a black car and it says it works best with black. Anybody used the ultimate compound yet and if so what's your thoughts on it and is it a cleaner/polish or what?

Comment

The Ultimate Compound is a very strong paint cleaner... not something you would just use for fun on a regular basis.

Comment

Why wouldn't you use it more often? Does it damage the paint?

Comment

I love the DC Line.

DC1 and SwirlX are very different.

On a mildly damage car, I prefer DC1. It is much easier to work with, apply, and remove.

SwirlX is like toothpaste and I don't like the bottle shape...

You get it at ADS or Meg's Direct. My stores carry everything though
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Black300 View Post
              Why wouldn't you use it more often? Does it damage the paint?
              Well, in general, the stronger the product, the less perfect of a surface it will leave behind. So for best looks, staying as mild as possible is good.

But using a very strong product regularly for years could definately risk thinning areas of the paint.

So the goal would be to use a strong product if needed to fix a defect, then try to use as much care as possible so only milder products are needed in the future.

Comment

I'm new to all this and have a silver car with only minor defects. Which paint cleaner / polish would be best for me? I can get the DC products.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The DC paint cleaner wont really fix defects, but is a fine mild cleaner for regular use in the future.

Depending on what products are available to you, looking at something like SwirlX would be a good start.

Comment

As Murr1525 has stated, SwirlX is a good alternative to the DC Paint Cleaner.

One of the reasons why the DC Paint Cleaner is being phased out is because there is a newer, more effective product that renders the DC Paint Cleaner unnecessary. This product is SwirlX. It may not be a complete substitute for the Paint Cleaner, but SwirlX gives more dramatic results with less amount of work.

Comment

Thanks!

I could be wrong but I don't think we get SwirlX here ... we do have ScratchX ... might be why we still have the DC products. Hopefully soon.

When I said defects, I meant minor scratches and bug or water spots. Nothing too bad. As for swirls, can't see them, but no doubt you guys would. A well looked after car. I intend to try the clay method, then down the track when I learn a bit more, try something like SwirlX.

Cheers

Comment

Swirls, scratches, water spots are all the same thing. That is low points in the paint. So the swirl and scratch products all work the same way, some are just stronger than others.

Comment

Thanks. I'm learning heaps here.

Cheers!

Comment

I got a new car a few months ago. Kept it looking in great shape. I just took the mrs. On vacation and drove halfway across the country in all kinds of different weather. I am going to clean it this weekend and what I was wondering if color x would be a good product to use? I might get some water spots (we have hard water) and would color x remove those and swirl marks? The product description says it will but was wondering what all your thoughts and experiences were. Also I have some cleaner wax left and was wondering if it would be ok to use that after color x and before nxt. Wax?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');