• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using tire foam to remove wax from plastic/unpainted surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using tire foam to remove wax from plastic/unpainted surfaces

I'm sure everybody's faced this problem at one point - you're going a little too crazy with your wax and accidentally get some on plastic/unpainted surfaces/somewhere else it wasn't supposed to go and it leaves a white haze that's a real PITA to get off. Last year I waxed my Dad's 2003 Malibu and got some wax on the plastic rocker panel underneath the doors and it stayed there for weeks. Next time I washed it I accidentally sprayed some tire foam onto the plastic and that white haze actually came off! I did the entire rocker panel and to this day that white residue has yet to return.

Remembering this, yesterday I threw a coat of NXT 2.0 on my brother's 1994 Pathfinder and accidentally got some wax on the unpainted black molding around the windshield. I sprayed some tire foam onto a microfiber and rubbed it over the wax. With a little elbow grease the residue came off. With that said, a couple questions:

1. Has anybody else tried this?

2. Does anybody know if the ingredients in the tire foam will harm plastic and unpainted surfaces? I used Armor All Tire Foam because I had some lying around. I know my little trick works for me but if it's causing long term damage I'll find another way of taking wax off places it shouldn't go.
    Anybody can make a car look good with the right products.

Re: Using tire foam to remove wax from plastic/unpainted surfaces

M40 works fine for me . Idk if what you are using is hurting it in the long run, but I would think it might eat up the soft rubber if you used it of that but not the hard plastic?

Comment

My best guess is the tire foam solvents are dissolving or at least loosing the wax. Probably not a problem on hard plastics when cleaned up quickly but I would also agree may cause some longer term problems with the softer rubber seals around doors, etc. Some rubbers don't handle petroleum based solvents very well. A trick I've used that works well is to use a pink eraser like the kids use in school for erasing pencil marks to "erase the wax" off. It seems to quickly remove the wax and then a quick touch of detail spray finishes off the job.

Comment

Yeah I haven't used it on rubber yet, I just spray it on hard plastic, rub it in a bit to dissolve the wax and wipe it off. Leaves a nice shine too.
        Anybody can make a car look good with the right products.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');