• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small chip touch up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small chip touch up

I have an 2007 Accord coupe, and the hood is completely chipped up! Honda paint is apparently very soft. I was considering using one of these systems to touch up the paint, then have a clear bra installed. Any opinion on which of these 3 works best?

www langka.com
    www drcolorchip.com
    www touchup123.com
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jul 21, 2009, 07:53 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Re: Small chip touch up

Depending upon who you talk to I've heard good and bad things from people who have used langka and dr. colorchip. Never heard of touchup123 though.

I think a bunch of members here did a group buy of langka, so maybe you can do a search and hit them up with a pm.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I've used the Touchup 123 with good success. The drcolorchip process is similar. You apply a thin coat of paint much like a wax and then use a compound to remove the excess. After a little bit of practice you can get a reasonable repair. If the standard kit is not a good color match you can order additional paints in lighter and darker shades and blend up a small batch to more closely match your vehicle's paint. This works better for road rash with multiple small chips. I often find myself just using a small brush to fill in the larger chips and then using the compound to level and blend in the repair. The langa process also works well but more dependent upon having a good match with your touchup paint. Metallics and pearl finishes and near impossible to get perfect while solids such as black blend in very well. Based on your comment about the hood being completely chipped either the Touchup123 or drcolorchip would be a better choice. If your looking for more "perfection" the hood may just need to be repainted by a shop. If you have a vocational school nearby, sometimes they will take your vehicle as a class project at no charge.

Comment

I have the Langka stuff and the big complaint that I have is that is discolors and causes the paint to turn hazy and white 100% of the time. Thus, you absolutely HAVE to polish it a moderate amount to remove this top layer of discolored paint. If you are working on a metallic paint, this can be a problem.

I now use Langka solely to remove touch-up if I want to "start over."

Comment

It's mainly road rash on the front of the hood...lots of tiny chips. If the touchup 123 is applied like wax, that may work the best for this case. Thanks!

Does the touchup 123 compound have the same effect as the langka, meaning the hazing that needs polishing afterward? I suppose I can always polish the hood with Scratch-X or UC then wax a few days later to seal it all up .

Comment

I've never had a problem with hazing when using the Touchup123 but have seen the issue with the langka product. You will need to have a light touch when polishing the Touchup123 as it is possible to remove to much paint. I'm not sure what they sell as the compounding component but you can use a small amount of M105 if you run out from the kit.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');