• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing polishing oils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing polishing oils?

I recently found #7 and #26 at AAP and of course I bought them after all the good things I have heard. I also have NXT 2.0 and plan to use all 3 soon. I keep hearing people talk about doing an IPA wipedown to remove all polishing oils before applying and LSP. If I used #7 wouldn't that leave polishing oils on the paint? Wouldn't that mean the LSP wouldn't bond correctly or something? I have now confused myself.

Re: Removing polishing oils?

Good question,

While there are some other brands that may recommend it, please keep in mind all of our products are compatible and designed to work together. That means there is no need to use a IPA wipe down after using # 7 and/or before applying # 26 or any other of our LSP's.

In fact, the combo of #7 followed by #26 has been around many many years and has had great success while developing a loyal following.

Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Thank you very much Mike for clarifying that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Red View Post
        I keep hearing people talk about doing an IPA wipedown to remove all polishing oils before applying and LSP.
        That's incorrect...you should be hearing that people use an IPA wipedown after performing paint correction to remove the lubricating oils which can mask and "fill" certain defects. This is done during paint correction to be able to accurately assess the paint condition. In other words, quite simply, it's designed to remove things you don't want on the paint.

Polishing, infusing, and conditioning oils found in products like Meg's pure polishes and certain waxes are the types of things you do want on the paint as they are there to nourish the paint surface, mask defects, and enhance depth and gloss.

Hope that clears it up...

Comment

i also have a question about the IPA wash. i know i get the highest alcohol rating and dilute it 1:1(??) with water. does it have to be purified water or distilled or anything like that? or does tap water work?

Comment

Any of the ones you mentioned will work for you
            Mike Pennington
            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

awesome, thanks!

Comment