• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finished 1986 Porsche 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished 1986 Porsche 944

After finally getting around to cleaning my pads and drying them out, I had a chance to finish up (yeah right!) my new 944.
    This is the day after I got it, right after its first washing by me:

It doesn't look too bad, right?
    Think again:

The roof was the most faded panel on the car, with the hood a close second.
    The roof also had hands-down the most contaminated part of the car. For the last four and a half years, the car has lived in East Boston, less than a mile from Logan International Airport. There was no shortage of jet fallout in the area. This is the condition of the clay after an area approximately 12" x 12" on the roof.

After claying, I masked off hard edges and went at the drivers side of the car with M83, and followed up with M7 applied with a foam applicator pad by hand. IIRC, I sealed it up with Gold Class paste to protect it while I waited for my new wax to come in the mail (TORTURE). The roof came out pretty nicely. Can you tell where it was masked off?

Anyway, enough with the recap.
    I polished out the passenger side of the car today:
    The starting point was uh....horrific:

After two passes of M83:

The tape line on the door after two passes of M83:

I'm using some old pads that are in desperate need of replacement, but they're still kinda getting the job done...I might be able to get one or two more cars out of them.
    There was old wax on almost all the vinyl trim around the car, the last of it was on the passenger side mirror housing:

After M40 with a toothbrush:

And finally, we went from dim, incongruent reflections:

to crisp, clear, and amazingly deep reflections

Remember that this is 23 year old single stage paint that has been parked outside 24/7 until two weeks ago when I got the car.

I went over the polished areas with M7 as the single stage paint responded VERY well to it. LSP is my new favorite - Zymol Glasur.

I like this reflection because you can see my 300C in there:

Full car shots:

This one shows how well the MPPP I put on the 300C is holding up after 2 weeks of being parked outside

Thanks for looking!
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Re: Finished 1986 Porsche 944

Looks Great! That sure was some heavy fallout!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Great Save!
      Nice Car!
      Excellent Write up As well!

Keep it up man.
      Matt

Comment

Love the 944s. Nice work!

Comment

Huzzah!

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
            Looks Great! That sure was some heavy fallout!
            Not only was it super heavy fallout, but I'm sure that the car has NEVER been clayed before in it's 23 (almost 24 now) years of existence.

Thanks for the good words everyone!
            If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Sweet! Cool little car, too!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

nice man.. keep it clean
                MEGUIAR'S NXT 2.0 WAX
                MEGUIAR'S QUICK DETAILER
                LONG LIVE PINOY!!!
                GOD MADE EVERYTHING, BUT EVERYTHING'S ARE MADE IN CHINA

Comment

Originally posted by Justin A View Post
                  Not only was it super heavy fallout, but I'm sure that the car has NEVER been clayed before in it's 23 (almost 24 now) years of existence.
                  Don't feel bad, mine had never been clayed in 30 years, had spent an unknown number of years outside in Pennsylvania, at least 4 in a Brooklyn backyard. It really was rough, now I keep is smooth as glass, just keep up the good work.
                  James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                  Calais Auto Detailing
                  CalaisDetails@aim.com
                  www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Great save. The Porsche looks great.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice work Justin.I see what you meant about your first pic...looked fine.

Nice to see in such good condition.I don't see so many these days around here.

Oh,your 300c......I've got a nice model of that in dark green.

Comment

Gorgeous car... nice job with the detailing work. Thanks for sharing the pics.
                        -Scott

Comment

Well - since the weather is on the verge of turning around here (fall rain is coming in), I've put the Glasur away for the moment. I'll probably give her another coat of it in a month or so when I take my fiancee out for her birthday, but it's synthetic time. I did a quick wash and wax today with GC shampoo and NXT2.0 to take care of the light swirls that have popped up over the last two months (I love one step products!). The sun was setting as I was finishing up, so pictures will have to wait until tomorrow - but they are coming. Finally! A direct comparison of a $100 wax and a $15 Parts store sealant.
                          See you tomorrow!

Comment

Very nice....

Back to the future Marty! Looks like it anyways!

Good show
                            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Gan Ba tei...keep it up
                              it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');