• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Here's a random example: IIRC M16 is a heavy wax meaning high molecular weight and hard. It has a high concentration of strong organic solvents to dissolve the harder wax making it an issue here in the US as far as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are concerned. Since it is a hard wax, it mechanically bonds well and lasts a long time which, in addition to its appearance (due to the type of wax used), is why people like it so much. Candle wax is very soft and would not last long.

I appriciate the response Sandstone. So, what kind of organic and VOC compounds would car wax have?
    Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

If your curious, dig up an MSDS sheet which will show a chemical abstract # (CAS #) under something like "petroleum distillates" in the composition section. Then look up the CAS # to id the solvent. If you don't have a chemical background the info will be fairly meaningless. There are many compounds that fall under the proprietary umbrella and are thus not disclosed. Wax dissolves in petroleum distillates such a mineral spirits and paint thinner. There are a bazillion solvents and most are a blend and not a pure compound. None of this really matters...just use what you like and what works for you.

Comment

Sandstone, my understanding is that pure synthetic sealants bond to the paint differently than do carnauba-style waxes. Can you confirm this, and if this is true, can you explain, in layman's terms, the difference. Thanks!

Al
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Hello, Al.

I am curious as to why you are particularly interested in knowing how waxes are bonded to paint surfaces. Would obtaining such knowledge enhance our polishing/waxing techniques? Keep me in the loop; I am very interested to know what you have up your sleeves that may enhance our performance in detailing.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
            Hello, Al.

I am curious as to why you are particularly interested in knowing how waxes are bonded to paint surfaces. Would obtaining such knowledge enhance our polishing/waxing techniques? Keep me in the loop; I am very interested to know what you have up your sleeves that may enhance our performance in detailing.
            Actually, I don't think knowing how different waxes bond will affect my detailing performance at all. I'm just curious.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              Actually, I don't think knowing how different waxes bond will affect my detailing performance at all. I'm just curious.
              Haha, I love you Al

Ok, well, you know what I mean...

Comment

This is definitely a great idea, it would be cool to hear from the men, and women that come up with all these great product ideas, as well as their insight on how they approach creating formulations to address specific problems.
                Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  Haha, I love you Al
                  You're not getting my Bud Light, Mark!
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

You're not getting my Bud Light, Mark!
                    Haha, Al, once a tease, always a tease

Comment

Let's see...

A wax sticking to paint is like a beautiful woman who likes you, is holding your hand and won't let go of it. She's attached but is just holding on.

A synthetic is you liking that woman, your heart is beating fast, etc since there is this unknown force, chemisty or magnetism that connects you to her.

M21/NXT are the best of both...physical and chemical attraction. Or you could say they look good and smell good.

PS Rep points please

Comment

Originally posted by Sandstone View Post
                        PS Rep points please
                        There's something sad and pathetic about a man begging for rep points.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Thankie Sai. Hey, I figured asking for help with getting email notifications was pointless. I don't know why they never work for me. I do get a stray one every once in a while but they are usually weeks old.

Comment

There's something sad and pathetic about a man begging for rep points.

Id give you more Rep points Al, but I don't think they can fit anymore little green boxes next to your name.

Interesting topic though, cool to know the science behind the art.
                            "Every moment frontin and maxin
                            Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                            "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                              Id give you more Rep points Al, but I don't think they can fit anymore little green boxes next to your name.
                              Touche!

I have perhaps received more undeserved rep points than anyone on this forum. I certainly have enough to last me a couple of life times!

But I do gleefully enjoy giving rep points to those who contribute helplful articles and comments.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Online chemist.......Good idea.

I find products and their properties interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');