I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Re: I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Someone needs to get with HowStuffWorks.com and make a dedicated article on "How Car Wax Works" and have sections for both synthetic and organic. They have a billion other articles; some which are less practical and interesting than How Car Wax Works. I might try and contact them about this.

I still wish Megs would invite one of the chemists to respond to our most common questions. Mother's has a "Dr Chemist." Why not Meguiar's? It would strengthen the forum and all of our IQs would improve.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

I'll toss my vote in there. I'm all for more knowledge!

If some did post, I doubt they would discuss chemistry questions. People spend a lot of time dissecting chemistry and make conclusions. I am sure some competitors are just looking for the extra angle to use against Meg's like the petroleum distillates and silicone topics. It is more often prudent just to not get into the discussions.

The only chemist I know that has openly discussed chemistry is Optimum's chemist.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

I think the best that Meguiar's could do would be to have a chemist help author (or author) a "How things work" section explaining in general how the different products work. They could listen for feedback, comments, and suggestions for new articles. Putting a chemist on the forum would likely lead to people asking questions that they wouldn't want to answer 70% of the time. You guys all know how the forums go. It starts with a simple question and 2 pages later, it gets into the gory details. Having this happen in as many threads as it would, it would start to degrade the quality of the forum. This is probably why Meguiar's hasn't already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    If some did post, I doubt they would discuss chemistry questions. People spend a lot of time dissecting chemistry and make conclusions. I am sure some competitors are just looking for the extra angle to use against Meg's like the petroleum distillates and silicone topics. It is more often prudent just to not get into the discussions.

The only chemist I know that has openly discussed chemistry is Optimum's chemist.
    I don't think they are looking for specific's on how Meguiar's products work, but just general "How things work" about waxes and such. Anyone making wax, I'd have to assume, would know these basics already.

Quote Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
    I don't think they are looking for specific's on how Meguiar's products work, but just general "How things work" about waxes and such. Anyone making wax, I'd have to assume, would know these basics already.
    I agree. Just general information like any other topic.

Live chat, making an article or something like it would be awesome

For example: I would like a chemist to explain to me how a carnauba wax bonds to the paint surface and how this is different from the way a synthetic sealant bonds to the paint surface. I know that I don't NEED to know this in order to do a good detailing job ... but I'd still like to know.

I'd also like our chemist to explain to me whether it is possible to "layer" a wax or sealant and whether it is beneficial to try to do so.

In other words, I'm curious in the science behind all of this. Please don't tell me that I should simply "trust" the manufacturer. I don't trust any manufacturers. My default assumption is that they are simply out to make money and will say whatever they need to say to make money. However, I'm happy to have my assumption disproven.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

www.6speedonline.com the_invisible's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    In other words, I'm curious in the science behind all of this. Please don't tell me that I should simply "trust" the manufacturer. I don't trust any manufacturers. My default assumption is that they are simply out to make money and will say whatever they need to say to make money. However, I'm happy to have my assumption disproven.
    That's a bold statement to make on a manufacturer sponsored forum. Although I am not paranoid, I agree with this assumption.

I would imagine that the bonding properties of Carnauba or any sealant or glaze would be a proprietary secret.

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    For example:
    You think a Meguiar's chemist is going to say anything that doesn't 100% fall in line with what a Meguiar's rep. would say? Trusting a Meguiar's chemist is exactly the same as "trusting the manufacturer".

It's not really a "trust" issue. If you buy it and it doesn't work you send it back. See, no trust needed!
    Jason

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information