• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, Name`s Mike ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, Name`s Mike ;)

Hello Everyone,

I`m Joe and I know what most of you were thinking,BUT my middle name IS Michael. I`m a newbie and am working by hand but have had very good results so far on numerous vehicles (for now it`s more satisfying with my own hands, and the safety net of knowing I probably wont build up enough heat to burn anything jut have to work a little faster when I can) I have been checking out this forum for about 4-6 weeks but caught the detailing/paint correction bug about 3 months ago and have been car crazy for at least 15 years and look forward to learning as much and educating as well as I can. Have A Nice Day.

Sincerely,
    Joe

Re: Hi, Name`s Mike

Nice first post Joe! Welcome to MOL!

By the way, my middle name is Mike also! LOL

Andy M.
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Comment

Hi Joe....Nice looking Chevy. If you do one thing, get a dual action polisher. Usually referred to as the PC or DA on this forum. It will be the BEST money you will ever spend for detailing.
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I wish it was mine...I hope to have it one day or at least one very similar, as far as the pc goes...maybe after I have a little more experience, I am a newbie as mentioned and I still get more enjoyment from seeing my own 2 hands create shine like is supposed to be there while removing VERY little material, IF any

Comment

The avatar now is the better side of my hood, I drive an old beater and, why are you trying to encourage someone you don`t know to purchase something they appear to have? I did not know I would be instantly attacked by salespeople by finally getting registered here...I came here for help and to help others and hopefully learn more and more everyday but I`d rather take small steps than leaps and bounds and fall far and hard. Sorry if I seem rude but the truck looks fine in the pics I have, even though it is not the one I will be working on. "at least for now" )

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

tyvm

Comment

Welcome to MOL Joe! Or Mike!

Honestly, newbie or not. Get a DA. If you could buff with your hands, you could use a DA but get much better results faster.

Then eventually once you've mastered the DA, upgrade to the big boy which is a Circular Polisher or more known as a Rotary.
                  2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                  2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

why JUMP up to the pc/da/ga100 and start removing paint when I can do it by hand with materials that have a little bite and feel better knowing I`m not going to take 3/4s 2/5`s 7/10s 9/10s 45/100s of a mill of paint off, I feel doing it in microns with good material and product is the right path for me, for now at least...I would rather learn/try to use someones pc/da/g100 on my car to see if I even liked it or could get a system down then onto other cars, my hands dont make a lot of noise either and I`m sure all these machines do...surely someone can understand where I`m coming from and back me up here

Comment

P.S. we should get together on making that detailing game for megs/3m...and I can use your pc/da on my car

Comment

oops...you`re in CA not GA...lmao

Comment

Originally posted by NiNe STaR SHiNe View Post
                          why JUMP up to the pc/da/ga100 and start removing paint when I can do it by hand with materials that have a little bite and feel better knowing I`m not going to take 3/4s 2/5`s 7/10s 9/10s 45/100s of a mill of paint off, I feel doing it in microns with good material and product is the right path for me, for now at least...I would rather learn/try to use someones pc/da/g100 on my car to see if I even liked it or could get a system down then onto other cars, my hands dont make a lot of noise either and I`m sure all these machines do...surely someone can understand where I`m coming from and back me up here
                          Well actually, the most someone could remove with a DA is probably only 1-3 microns of paint. Typical clear coats can range from 90-200 um. And rotary buffing can range from 7-10 microns removed (hence why it's not suggested to do it all the time lol.) I used to work for manufacturing in which we had to measure in mils and microns with a high powered microscope. Using a special piece of wood (sort of like a very fine toothpick) we were able to scratch off .05um on a probe head tip.

How does it relate to car paint? Well the .05 um we scratched off was able to make it pass visually under later tests because of the clarity of the reflection it required. It's some interesting stuff. So in theory, if swirls from paint are only 1um deep, all you have to do is level the paint by 1um to achieve the clarity and gloss.

So you can work by hand and achieve good results by leveling the paint by 1um, OR you could use a DA and do the exact same thing except faster and with even uniform pressure. Working by hand has it's limitations, or we wouldn't have machinery like a DA or rotary.

And yes, a DA does make a lot of noise. Surprisingly, the Makita 9227c is a lot quieter than my old PC7424.

2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                          2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

P.S. we should get together on making that detailing game for megs/3m...and I can use your pc/da on my car
                            Haha yeah, i'd imagine it would be like a detailing MMO. Custom create your own detailer, which weapons he'll use (PC, Rotary, by hand). Which chemicals to use. Then go around the different lands and detail different cars.

lol
                            2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                            2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Comment

The avatar now is the better side of my hood, I drive an old beater and, why are you trying to encourage someone you don`t know to purchase something they appear to have? I did not know I would be instantly attacked by salespeople by finally getting registered here...I came here for help and to help others and hopefully learn more and more everyday but I`d rather take small steps than leaps and bounds and fall far and hard. Sorry if I seem rude but the truck looks fine in the pics I have, even though it is not the one I will be working on. "at least for now" )
                              Hi Joe....I'm not a salesman and I was just trying to give you advice/input. You can choose to ignore it if you like! Won't hurt my feelings. I used to work by hand....found the Megs forum and decided to take "the big step" instead and got a PC. It brought my truck up to the "next level" and I guess I should have said it was the best detailing money "I" have ever spent! Welcome to the forum....you will enjoy this site and the folks who visit and offer their advice.
                              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');