• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix corrosion on rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix corrosion on rims?

We have a 2002 Explorer that has really bad corrosion on the aluminum rims, mostly where the old balancing weights use to be and in the center right around the cap. How would you go about fixing this? I assume you would have to sand the area then apply some sort of clear coat over it?

Thanks for any help!
    2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Re: How to fix corrosion on rims?

Ford put out a lot of different rims during the early 2000's. Is it possible to post a picture so we can see what type of wheel it is?

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
      Ford put out a lot of different rims during the early 2000's. Is it possible to post a picture so we can see what type of wheel it is?

Ryan
      This is not a picture of the actual rim (I can do it when I get home) but this is the exact type of rim.

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

Ok, thats perfect. There's just so many different types and coating on wheels these days.

Have you tried any of the Meguiar's Wheel Cleaners?

Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

I would suggest that wheel cleaner and see if that helps at all.

Ryan

Comment

Ok, thats perfect. There's just so many different types and coating on wheels these days.

Have you tried any of the Meguiar's Wheel Cleaners?

Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

I would suggest that wheel cleaner and see if that helps at all.

Ryan
          Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried several wheel cleaners, but this requires more than that. The clear coat on the rim is totally gone in these spots and the aluminum underneath is starting to peal and chip away.
          2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

Ok, I went outside during lunch and got some pics for yah:

From Stuff

From Stuff

From Stuff

From Stuff

From Stuff
            2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

As far as I can tell, the clear coat is gone and unfortunately there is nothing you can do to repair that unless you have the wheel striped and re-painted.

Ryan

Comment

As far as I can tell, the clear coat is gone and unfortunately there is nothing you can do to repair that unless you have the wheel striped and re-painted.

Ryan
                I figured as much, but was hoping for at least the possibility of being able to do some sort of standing polishing then application of another clear coat on those areas.
                2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

Shame.Pretty nice wheels.

Are all the wheels in pretty much the same condition,or just one?

Have a look around for powdercoating(automotive).Might be 30-40$'s a wheel,but cheaper than replacing wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                    Shame.Pretty nice wheels.

Are all the wheels in pretty much the same condition,or just one?

Have a look around for powdercoating(automotive).Might be 30-40$'s a wheel,but cheaper than replacing wheels.
                    One wheel is really bad, the others have some issues but not as much.

I looked around on ebay and the rims are going for around $100 a piece. It really is a shame, the rims are good looking. The previous owner had to be a women (my wife agrees on this one), the car has glitter embedded in almost all the surfaces, and a lot of dings and dents from running into things in a parking lot.
                    2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');