• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Rose
    Of course, having one pad for each product could get expensive for some, especially users that use 6.5inch AND 8inch pad systems.

The next best thing is to keep pad usage aligned with major product categories. For example, if you use a W8000 Polishing pad with a polish...dedicate that pad to the polish category, and not use it with a wax or paint cleaner/compound. Use that W8000 pad with a variety of polishes.

Paint cleaners/compounds...polishes...and waxes...all have different chemistry. Best to segregate pads used with each of these product categories.

Waxman
    That is one thing that I keep track of all mine are numbered... #1 is my cleaner pad... #2 is my polish pad... and so on.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Jason,

Not to go off-topic too far... how do you like your new Avatar?
      Hey Mike..............tut tut tut...............going off topic..............tut tut

Now back on topic..............I understood that we should store pads in zip lock bags, is it OK to store in a box which I have that has a lid which could (not absolutely sure) well be airtight yeah?

Bryan

Comment

Does the same go for the High Tech applicator pads?

I am keeping them in a plastic bag with the bottle of the product I use it for (cleaner, polish, or wax, etc.), along with whatever I use to wipe it off with.

Can I wash these small hand pads out in the sink?

Ric
        2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
        2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
        1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

Originally posted by amg/md
          Can I wash these small hand pads out in the sink?

Ric
          Yes.

You can also throw these in the washing machine. Best results come from washing in the sink first, and then run them through a load in the washing machine.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

As always, thanks for the quick response.

Ric
            2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
            2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
            1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

I have had great success cleaning my pads with Dawn and hot water. Even my NXT pad, although it does take a bit more effort.

Comment

Machine washing pads works well for me although Velcro lifting from foam, does occur occasionally, especially with LC pads and not that often with Meguiars pads…….

Just my experiences…..

Pit-lane.dk

PS How many times (hours) in average can a pad be used if it is not washed once in a while?

What’s that avatar thing, you’re talking about, earlier in this thread?
                Last edited by Pit-lane.dk; Nov 4, 2005, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by inthedetails
                  I have had great success cleaning my pads with Dawn and hot water. Even my NXT pad, although it does take a bit more effort.
                  I have some of white, stackable plastic lawn chairs. I lay a pad, face up on the edge of the seat. I hit it full force with the garden hose. I found all the polishes and glazes seem to be water soluable. I can get the pads extremely clean this way. I tend to hit it in the middle first then slowly spin it with one hand while making an ever increasing circle toward the outer rim of the pad. Then I hit the flip the pad, Hit the outer rim again then hit the outside side of the pad. This has been going very well for me. I used the dawn before. Had one pads velcro basically fall off so I changed. Maybe I used to much Dawn as I usually suspect I do.

I do spin the pads on the rotary before laying out to dry. I have 4 of the grit guard inserts and find them to be great drying racks for pads.

For my wax pads I don't clean. I have a separate pad for every wax and play around with so many that none of them are in serious need of help yet. All are still in great shape.

For the polish and glaze pads, I seem to be having such luck with my method that I non longer keep a separate pad for each product. I simply hose them down after each use, dry then store.

This is working well for me "at this time". The long term results have yet to be seen.

BTW, refrain from drying with the PC set on 6. Weeee. Had to go fetch a pad out of my neighbors hedge. Then after getting it realized the vecro had tore away from the pad. Trashed my first pad this way.

Also been figuring out just how far the rotary can sling wax. I use it to get the bulk of my wax off by running it on high. My hedges have quite the colorful array of stripes on them. Plus my driveway has a few that have been there for a few months. People probably think I am ome sort of artist here or something.
                  Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
                    I do spin the pads on the rotary before laying out to dry. I have 4 of the grit guard inserts and find them to be great drying racks for pads.

BTW, refrain from drying with the PC set on 6. Weeee. Had to go fetch a pad out of my neighbors hedge. Then after getting it realized the vecro had tore away from the pad. Trashed my first pad this way.

It happened to me twice yesterday, I used 6 becuase I had cleaned the pad in the middle of a car (gummy), I was "too lazy" to grab a bucket, so the thing shot across the garage. We could probably develop some kind of sporting event.

Another key in my cleaning is HOT! water.

Comment

Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Hello all experts , What's your opinion about products like this:

I recently bought some of this but i haven't received yet. I will test and share my opinions, but your comments are very important to me.

Greetings from this side or the river, jeje, Mexico.

Regards...

Comment

I saw a mechanical pad cleaner advertised on the ADS website. Cost around $130 and removed dried wax and polisher from pads.
                        Art Layton
                        2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Thats alot of money to clean a 15dollar pad.

Comment

I tried something last night that seemed to work. Put a little dish soap in hot water in a bowl, and set a pad that had been used, and rinsed as best as I could into that bowl overnight. Looked at it this morning and it appears all it needs to do is dry and it's good to go!

Matthew 19:26

Comment

i spray them with a garden hose to get product out and let them air dry.
                              1984 buick grand national 1987 engine

1989 gmc s15 jimmy 4x4 winter beater

Comment

Hi, thought I'd share. I like removing as much as I can with a MF towel trick and hitting pad with compressed air to force dry polish out once the pad dries.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');