• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

So. Those of you who do clean your pads, HOW OFTEN do you do so?
    How long do they take to dry?
    Just did hood of a car and dropped a pad on the garage floor...

I ordered the DP cleaner above, but Autogeek sent me the wrong product, Pinnacle something... I guess i`ll try that..?
    Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
    Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
    00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

Eh, Bump?

Comment

Originally posted by Joenok View Post
        So. Those of you who do clean your pads, HOW OFTEN do you do so?
        How long do they take to dry?
        Just did hood of a car and dropped a pad on the garage floor...

I ordered the DP cleaner above, but Autogeek sent me the wrong product, Pinnacle something... I guess i`ll try that..?

I have been using Murphy's Oil Soap to clean all of my detailing-related cloths, pads, etc. It really seems to cut through all of the cleaners and polishes easily and rinses out completely using the garden hose...unlike products like DAWN, which seem to suds up forever. I just soak the pads with a Murphy's/water mix 3-4:1, manually aggitate the pads, then rinse them with a strong stream of water.

Mike's right in that NXT (especially the NXT 2.0), is more than a bit stubborn when it comes to cleaning it's appicator, whether it's a PC/G-100 pad or one of the little round hand-applicator pads - usually requiring more than one cleaning application, and sometimes even then, only the main bulk of the product is cleaned out. The only other products that show this much difficulty in removing from foam pads are the ones from Collinite
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

How many cars do you do before you wash the pads, Don?

I used the Pinnacle product mentioned above just now to clean some really dirty mfs, seemed to work just fine!
          Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent Concentrate - New bottle features a built-in measuring cup! One ounce for small loads and two ounces for large loads. Don’t drown your microfibers, clean and restore them with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator! Microfiber is the new terry cloth! Whereas manufacturers and detailers used to recommend terry cloth towels and applicators as the safest, softest fabric to use on delicate clear coat finishes, they are now hailing the incredible cleaning properties of microfiber. It is simply softer, more absorbent, and has greater polishing capabilities than traditional terry cloth. The thick, woven core locks away dirt, liquid, and grease unlike any other material on the market. Because there has never been a material like microfiber before, there has never been a detergent capable of properly cleaning ituntil now! Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is not your average detergent. It is formulated specifically to meet the unique demands of microfiber. Since microfiber pulls contaminants deep within its fibers, conventional detergents may not remove all of the stains. Micro Rejuvenator is made specifically to break down stain molecules deep inside the weave and suspend them until the rinse cycle washes them away. Thanks to a powerful degreaser, oily automotive stains dont stand a chance. We call it Rejuvenator for a good reason. After a wash with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator, your microfiber towels and applicator pads will feel as fluffy and soft as they were the day you bought them, even more so. Even after frequent washings, the microfiber will retain its texture and absorption. Laundry detergents may saturate the fibers and flatten the weave. Clean-rinsing Micro Rejuvenator will actually restore your microfiber and make it feel softer with every wash. Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is biodegradable and non-toxic. It works equally well on cotton, chamois, and buffing pads. Restore your microfiber towels and pads every time you wash them with the detergent formulated specifically for microfiber Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator! Directions: A handy measuring cup is included with every bottle. For a small load, add 1oz. to your wash. For a full load, add 2oz. to your wash. For heavily soiled items, add 1oz. to a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and let soak before washing as usual. Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is safe to use in high efficiency washers. 16 oz. It is such a delight to shop online with them. My orders arrived safely as and they were packed well. They always have something I need or just want. Thank you for being there. D. Norvell, Rockford IL

Says here that it can be used with pads, guess I´ll give it a go.
          Espesially for the pads I´ve used with #83, the remains in the foam of the pad turns hard after a few hours. Guess I should have dried them better :/

Comment

Originally posted by Joenok View Post
            How many cars do you do before you wash the pads, Don?

I used the Pinnacle product mentioned above just now to clean some really dirty mfs, seemed to work just fine!
            Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent Concentrate - New bottle features a built-in measuring cup! One ounce for small loads and two ounces for large loads. Don’t drown your microfibers, clean and restore them with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator! Microfiber is the new terry cloth! Whereas manufacturers and detailers used to recommend terry cloth towels and applicators as the safest, softest fabric to use on delicate clear coat finishes, they are now hailing the incredible cleaning properties of microfiber. It is simply softer, more absorbent, and has greater polishing capabilities than traditional terry cloth. The thick, woven core locks away dirt, liquid, and grease unlike any other material on the market. Because there has never been a material like microfiber before, there has never been a detergent capable of properly cleaning ituntil now! Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is not your average detergent. It is formulated specifically to meet the unique demands of microfiber. Since microfiber pulls contaminants deep within its fibers, conventional detergents may not remove all of the stains. Micro Rejuvenator is made specifically to break down stain molecules deep inside the weave and suspend them until the rinse cycle washes them away. Thanks to a powerful degreaser, oily automotive stains dont stand a chance. We call it Rejuvenator for a good reason. After a wash with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator, your microfiber towels and applicator pads will feel as fluffy and soft as they were the day you bought them, even more so. Even after frequent washings, the microfiber will retain its texture and absorption. Laundry detergents may saturate the fibers and flatten the weave. Clean-rinsing Micro Rejuvenator will actually restore your microfiber and make it feel softer with every wash. Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is biodegradable and non-toxic. It works equally well on cotton, chamois, and buffing pads. Restore your microfiber towels and pads every time you wash them with the detergent formulated specifically for microfiber Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator! Directions: A handy measuring cup is included with every bottle. For a small load, add 1oz. to your wash. For a full load, add 2oz. to your wash. For heavily soiled items, add 1oz. to a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and let soak before washing as usual. Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator is safe to use in high efficiency washers. 16 oz. It is such a delight to shop online with them. My orders arrived safely as and they were packed well. They always have something I need or just want. Thank you for being there. D. Norvell, Rockford IL

Says here that it can be used with pads, guess I´ll give it a go.
            Espesially for the pads I´ve used with #83, the remains in the foam of the pad turns hard after a few hours. Guess I should have dried them better :/

I clean them after each use. Oftentimes, I'll take the pad off the buffer and spray it with cleaner, then let it soak until I'm finished with the whole car and it's clean-up time.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Everytime I use my yellow pad with compound it always build up after use. I can't understand the MF towel method. When its dried the pad is so hard and the only way I took the product off is water. Can someone explain? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by agentm View Post
                Every time I use my yellow pad with compound it always build up after use. I can't understand the MF towel method. When its dried the pad is so hard and the only way I took the product off is water. Can someone explain? thanks
                What compound?

How are you using the pad? Which pad ours? The big one or the little one?

What kind of machine?

Have you read this?

Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly

The pictures are missing until our Webmaster is feeling better and back to work but the words are still there and not it recommends using terry cloth not microfiber.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have use m83, m80 and few more other brand. I use a medium pressure. Sometimes I use my Flex and sometime I use my rotory. By the time I finished half of the car the pad is already have nugget of compound on it with a hard dried looking pad. I started out with 2 lines of product.

Comment

I stopped washing my pads in water years ago. I noticed two things:

1st Washing caused the Velcro to separate from the pad

2nd After washing the pad never stuck to the backing plate as well as a pad that had
                    not been washed

Before putting the away I hold a towel against while spinning to remove the excess product. I let it dry then repeat with the towel. I use a separate pad per product. Works for me no more separation and the pads stick like new every time.
                    Bill Strobel
                    aka theamcguy
                    Owner Independent Towing
                    Fayetteville, NC
                    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Comment

I like to know how many times do you wash the pad before it won't stick. I've been washing my pad over and over about 10 times and it still stick to my backing plate.

Comment

Originally posted by agentm View Post
                        Everytime I use my yellow pad with compound it always build up after use. I can't understand the MF towel method. When its dried the pad is so hard and the only way I took the product off is water. Can someone explain? thanks
                        this on the fly method only works with not dried product. you should do this right after compounding when the pad is "wet"

Comment

I usually hit the pad with the airgun from my compressor. It blows most of the product right out.
                          If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

There was either a Saturday class or Thursday open garage where there was a pad washer that was used. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a review, but I never saw one? Anyone have any experience with these?

Comment

Originally posted by kty10 View Post
                              There was either a Saturday class or Thursday open garage where there was a pad washer that was used. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a review, but I never saw one? Anyone have any experience with these?
                              take a look here:

they have a really nice video there which shows all necessary steps

Comment

Mike, I have just purchased a 1990 Bently with some significant spyder cracks in the clear coat....what product if any do you have the cover/fill/ repair...if any....or does the car need to be re clear coated ?....thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');