• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
    I recommend a good hand washing in strong soap for Hi-Tech pads. The reason I suggest strong soap is because wax residue tends to be difficult to remove with mild soaps.

I always use a clean hand applicator if possible.

I agree. Just a plain wax job is not going to remove bonded dirt & contaminates. Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay will do wonders removing above surface contamination, while a product such as ColorX can help clean below surface defects.

There are much stronger cleaners available, but ColorX is a good next step for beginners

No. Either type is a good choice, but NXT is going to give you the best, longest lasting protection. However, if you're a person that likes to wax often, then most any of Meguiar's waxes will fit the bill.

For what it's worth, my recommended paint cleaner (ColorX) is actually a wax in itself. ColorX topped with NXT will give you great results.
    Thanks for the info on ColorX. Hadn’t looked at that. Is that a polish, a wax or? It says to apply with an Even-Coat Applicator for best results. Any reason a foam applicator wouldn’t work? I will have to say that Meguiar’s product descriptions on their web site seem to raise more questions, and give almost no info on the product and it’s uses. If it wasn’t for this forum, I’d probably go with another product that makes the descriptions and uses of their products crystal clear.

I am seriously considering clay bars. For now, my order looks like Clay bars, ColorX, NXT, (Past or liquid?) And some foam applicators and micro fiber towels. Would be all I need?

What’s the difference between a polish and a cleaner?
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food

Comment

Originally posted by wingspar View Post
      Thanks for the info on ColorX. Hadn’t looked at that. Is that a polish, a wax or? It says to apply with an Even-Coat Applicator for best results. Any reason a foam applicator wouldn’t work?
      ColorX is a cleaner, polish, and wax combination.

A foam applicator would be a good choice here, but the Even Coat applicator is recommended to give ColorX more bite.

Here is a good thread to follow-up on for more about the product...plus it also covers the clay bar technique too.

I am seriously considering clay bars. For now, my order looks like Clay bars, ColorX, NXT, (Past or liquid?) And some foam applicators and micro fiber towels. Would be all I need?
      Paste or liquid waxes is a matter of personal preference. Most people prefer a liquid form of wax for ease of use. Maybe someone else can chime in on the paste version, as I have never used it yet. I have tried #16 paste wax, and love it, but I'm not sure if NXT paste spreads with the same ease.

Sounds like you have most of it covered, but read up on Mike's makeover thread and check out his selection of car shampoo (Gold Class), and the type of wash mitt he uses. Proper washing tools & techniques can make or break a fine finish.

What’s the difference between a polish and a cleaner?
      Meguiars makes many forms of paint cleaners, and they all have a certain amount of polish in them. Polishes (or pure polishes), on the other hand, have little or no cleaners in them (such as #7 and #81).

What makes Meguiar's polishes, and cleaner / polishes, so unique is the use of trade secret oils. These oils can revitalize neglected paint much like putting a fine lotion on dry skin. The good part I like about these oils is they continue to work days after being applied and continue to penetrate the paint and give new life to it. ColorX is blessed with these polishing oils.

Sorry about my late my response.
      r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Currently, my list looks like this. May have to wait till the first of the month before ordering.

Clay Kit
        Color X
        NXT 2.0
        Foam Pads
        Microfiber Towels
        Possibly a wash mitt. Always used sponges, and not sure I’ll benefit from a mitt.
        Gary
        Will Fly for Food

Comment

Thanks for the info. Currently, my list looks like this. May have to wait till the first of the month before ordering.

Clay Kit
          Color X
          NXT 2.0
          Foam Pads
          Microfiber Towels
          Possibly a wash mitt. Always used sponges, and not sure I’ll benefit from a mitt.
          Clay is a must have.
          ColorX is a great AIO, especially effective on oxidation.
          NXT 2.0 is a solid and extremely user-friendly LSP.
          Also, a must.
          I would get both Supreme Shine and Ultimate Wipe MF's.
          If you are using the right kind of sponge then you are fine, if not definitely opt for a wash mitt. I tend to prefer a sponge to wash mitt because it easier to see, identify and rinse off particulate off the media. I use Meguiar's discontinued Gold Class wash sponges. Lowes sells grout sponges for ~$3 that are also another good option.

Basically, your list looks great. You may want to look into a paint cleaner like SwirlX, definitely get a good soap (Gold Class for me) and maybe a couple Water Magnet drying MF's.
          James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
          Calais Auto Detailing
          CalaisDetails@aim.com
          www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

In another forum where I posted a question about wax, I had mentioned I was looking at Meguair’s clay bars, and one person posted that the bars were so soft, he spent more time picking the clay off the car than cleaning. Maybe he wasn’t using enough Quick detailer or no lube at all?

I have to wait till the first of the month before I can place the order, but good days around here for waxing this time of year are rare indeed.
            Gary
            Will Fly for Food

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              The only issue I've ever seen caused by hand washing is de-lamination of the Velcro material from the foam, they tend not to stay their original color after washing, but the foam seems to work just the same.

We upgraded the adhesive used to hold the Velcro material onto the foam a couple of years ago so every pad being shipped today should have this new adhesive formula that is for sure water resistant and much more resistant to chemicals, heat and the wear and tear associated with the oscillating action of the dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting.

I have collected up three large boxes of foam pads used during our Detailing classes on Saturday's to experiment with washing using different soaps, the problem like usual is carving out the time as with forum growth it's really all I can do to keep up with the current duties and behind the scenes work, so adding new projects is difficult.

I know one thing for sure however, washing compounds, paint cleaners, cleaner/polishes and pure polishes will wash out with soap and water fairly easily, however when it comes to removing wax, especially the NXT and the M21 Synthetic Sealant, it's always going to be very tough to remove these products as they are water and detergent resistant.

In fact if you've ever tried to rinse out a foam wax applicator after using either of these two product you will have noticed how difficult it is to get all of the wax out of the pad and when it does come out it's not breaking up in the water, just coming out as a slimy ooze.
              Thats why I wash the pads with a paint dewaxer. takes that straight out
              I still machine wash all brands of pads I use in the shop, using a natural enzyme cleaner, driven multi and green aussie cleaner plant based soap

yes it will take all the lettering off the velcro over time but the velcro itself is not affected and the pads stay almost like brand new except for a little discoloration after a year or two of use.

Comment

I found a product called OIL EATER that takes wax and paint sealer out of the foam pads with ease. Costs about $11 a gallon and you simply spray some onto the pad and work it into a lather throughout the pad, then rinse the pad under hot running water. All the residue comes out and the pad looks and performs like new. Have had zero problems with delaminating the velcro from the foam, and use it on all brands of pads as well. Water based and biodegradable as well. Also very useful around the garage and shop.

Comment

i once used ultimate compound on a yellow soft buff 2.0 foam buffing pad on 2 cars..althought cleaning on the fly regularly, lots of product was stuffed up in there...when i threw the pad into the washing machine, it came out clean around the edges, but not the center...i washed it twice, same thing...i sprayed APC 4:1 on the pad and saturated it in to the pad, threw it back in the wash, and bam...APC breaks up all the excess product with ease
                  Addicted

Comment

Before throwing them in the washing machine, rub them out by hand under the sink with hot water. This seems to help as well.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Since Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing the foam pad getting the product out of the inside of the pad is difficult and to date the best method is to draw it out using pressure with some type of absorbent material to force the excess liquids into the absorbent material.[/QUOTE]

hi, im mike from philippines, can you give some example of absorbent material?thank you

Comment

Originally posted by msh View Post

hi, im mike from philippines, can you give some example of absorbent material?thank you
                        100% Cotton Terry Cloth is pretty absorbent and easily washable so you can use it again.

Note the new W7207, W8207 and W9207 pads are washable.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I know it says that 2.0 cutting pad canonly be used on a rotary bufer , why not a DA polisher

Comment

Originally posted by curley1441 View Post
                            I know it says that 2.0 cutting pad canonly be used on a rotary bufer , why not a DA polisher
                            Megs feels that it's too aggressive for people that would be using a DA as opposed to a rotary. With that said, I know of many people who use the cutting pad on a DA without any problem whatsoever. I think it's a CYA things for Megs but with any experience on the DA and you won't have any issues.

Also, from what I recall, you usually need to follow up after using a cutting pad and most abrasives. Many people won't do this and won't like how the paint looks after justing using the cutting pad.

Comment

I have used the red cutting pad / DA polisher combo on many occasions without issue, but I would only recommend them as a last resort, and be sure to follow up with the yellow pad afterwards.

Here is a vehicle I did using the red pad / DA combo...

These details were done 7 years ago.

I didn't know how to photograph a car back then, so therefore I have no closeup shots to see if left any swirls. Nevertheless, the owner was ecstatic with results.
                              r. b.

Comment

Would a Microfiber drying towel be another option to dry out the pads instead of the traditional terry-cloth towel method?
                                '69 Dodge Charger 'General Lee' (Smith Brothers Restoration)
                                '00 White R34 GT-R V-Spec
                                '04 Blacked-Out E55 AMG
                                '03 Blacked-Out H2 Hummer
                                '09 Blacked-Out ML63 AMG... + more

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');