• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big car emblem de-badging mistake...HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big car emblem de-badging mistake...HELP!!

so i decided to use the green side of one of these sponges to get the glue residue off that holds the emblems on my car. this is what became of 30 seconds of scrubbing...

i was told if i used the Meguiars Ultimate Compound it should make the area look a lot better if not fix it....what do you guys think?

Re: big car emblem de-badging mistake...HELP!!

When I opened the thread and saw the picture of the sponge I immediately let out an, "ooooohhh noooo!"

Now, that said, you should be able to fix this fairly easy. In my personal experience, new Infiniti G series vehicles have very soft and thin paint. I would recommend using some ScratchX 2.0 rather than Ultimate Compound.

Start off with very mild pressure and check your work. If needed, add a little more pressure.

For the best final finish you want to use minimal pressure on your last couple passes to "back it out" so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Comment

As if that wouldn't be bad enough on any car, but a SKYLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are in good hands here on MOL, you will get the best advice... as Mark has already ensured that. Please let us know how Godzilla turns out.
      Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
      2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

The Ultimate Compound is very strong.. best not not to jump straight to that.

As mentioned, try ScratchX 2.0 to solve the problem.

Even SwirlX would be milder, but might be too mild for that.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Mark. When I saw the sponge, I said oh no please say your kidding. You did not use that. I would also go with the scratch-x 2.0 Good luck. Let us know if it worked.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
            I agree with Mark. When I saw the sponge, I said oh no please say your kidding. You did not use that. I would also go with the scratch-x 2.0 Good luck. Let us know if it worked.
            id say he's serious. I know a guy that used a scotch sponge to get some egg off, that's exactly what they do to paint.
            Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
            baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
              As if that wouldn't be bad enough on any car, but a SKYLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are in good hands here on MOL, you will get the best advice... as Mark has already ensured that. Please let us know how Godzilla turns out.
              I think that's a rebadged G35

Comment

Originally posted by DejaVu View Post
                yes it is a re-badged Infiniti G35, but in all other countries where the G35 is sold, its know as the Nissan Skyline350GT

here are some daytime pics to see if you guys feel the same about the scratchX..

and heres why i called out sick to work today because i didnt want to drive it anywhere but to get it fixed or get supplies to fix it....look at how much it stands out in the day!!!!.....

Comment

Murr1525....love your avatar btw....i have that same pic as my facebook profile pic.

Comment

as for why i used that sponge....it was just about dark outside, i was tired, frustrated, and anxious to get it done....well lets just say the genius idea i thought i had turned out to be not such a genius idea after all. i think i let my frustration and anxiousness get the best of me last night. i beat myself up over this all night, and really thank you guys for all of your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by DejaVu View Post

I guess that would make sense. It was really late when I read that last night, I'll try yo do better next time
                      Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
                      2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

Also, it's not mentioned if there was some lubricant used along with the scuff sponge. You might also want to try a mild glaze after the Scratch X 2.0 or SwirlX. Remember to finish up with a sealant or wax. You should be able to find Glaze #7 locally.

IMHO.

Comment

i did use some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on the car and tried to polish it up with some Meguiars Gold Class wax after i realized what i did.

Comment

Hate to say it, but you are going to need some work done to correct that paint.

Depending on were you are in the US, I'm sure there are professional detailers (check on MOL first) who can clean up the mess.

At this point, you need to focus on paint rescue and not more trial and error.
                            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

well a combo of the ScratchX, the Meguiars Clay Kit, and the Gold Class wax made it look better, but still not un-noticeable. guess ill have to travel around to some of the local shops and get some quotes....should be too much to repair, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');