• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT durability doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey oldmodman

Sounds like a great test!

Do you have any pictures you could post?

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro
      Hi Larry, may i know whats the method you used for applying the ColorX? Leave to haze or just plain wiping over with a cotton cloth?
      I used a terry towel to apply the Color X and rubbed it well into the paint. Then I wiped it off with a mf towel. I also used it on my sons 1989 silver Nissan 2 coats rubbed in well, and I was very impressed on how it came out. Color X is very good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A
        I used a terry towel to apply the Color X and rubbed it well into the paint. Then I wiped it off with a mf towel. I also used it on my sons 1989 silver Nissan 2 coats rubbed in well, and I was very impressed on how it came out. Color X is very good stuff.
        Hi Larry, I just did a ColorX & NXT combo like you. The results are awesome. Deep dark shine. A neighbour of mine happen to come by and WOW was his reaction. Was actually thinking of doing a 3 layer combo. ColorX followed by NXT. And NXT spray wax the following day for maximum shine and protection. What do you think? Good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          ColorX, like all cleaner/waxes, needs to be worked into the finish, not merely wiped on and then wiped off. After you have worked it into the finish, you then need to let it dry to a haze. After it has dried, then you can remove it.

Mike
          Hi Mike, 2 questions.

Your defination of Worked Into The Finish is to apply the ColorX onto the paint with an applicator, leave to dry and then wipe it off? Same theory as the NXT wax right?

I was thinking of a 3 step combo. ColorX, NXT tech wax first and lastly NXT spray wax the following day(cos its easier and faster). Will it give best protection and shine? Or I should do both coatings on NXT wax would be better?

Comment

If I may....

When using ColorX, working it into the finish means using an applicator, and rubbing the product over a given area until the product becomes a light residue. In other words, this may take a few minutes per 2'x2' area. It is not a wipe on, let dry, wipe off product.

NXT Tech Wax's application is different. Because it is used as a Last Step Product, (i.e. You have already cleaned/polished the surface to it's highest potential and now want to seal it for protection). In this case, you apply the product evenly. Allow ~15 minutes, and then remove with a MF towel.

I hope this helps!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Mike, 2 questions.

Your definition of Worked Into The Finish is to apply the ColorX onto the paint with an applicator, leave to dry and then wipe it off? Same theory as the NXT wax right?
              Not really, but it depends on the condition of the paint you applying the cleaner/wax to. ColorX is a strong cleaner/wax, if you're applying it to a neglected finish, then you really need to work the product into the paint aggressively. Cleaner/waxes depend on two factors to achieve good results,

1) The cleaning action of the diminishing abrasives and the chemical cleaners

2) The cleaning action of your applicator pad as it's being worked against the paint.

It takes both to restore a neglected finish. Now cleaner/waxes like ColorX and Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax can be use on finishes in good condition, or to maintain a finish that you previously restored with the aggressive application of ColorX using a more normal, apply and wipe off method, but when the finish has been neglected, you need, in order to restore it you need to really work a cleaner wax the first time.

NXT Tech Wax is for finishes that are already in good to excellent condition, as in a finish that doesn't need to be pre-cleaned. For this reason, you don't have to work it into the finish aggressively, just thoroughly, (like any polish/wax or pure wax).

Does that make sense?

I was thinking of a 3 step combo. ColorX, NXT tech wax first and lastly NXT spray wax the following day(cos its easier and faster). Will it give best protection and shine? Or I should do both coatings on NXT wax would be better?
              A second coat of the NXT Tech wax will leave behind more protection than an application of the Spray Wax. I would opt for the second coat NXT Tech Wax.

Hope this helps...

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think Tim and I just said the same thing in two different ways...

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                  If I may....

When using ColorX, working it into the finish means using an applicator, and rubbing the product over a given area until the product becomes a light residue. In other words, this may take a few minutes per 2'x2' area. It is not a wipe on, let dry, wipe off product.

NXT Tech Wax's application is different. Because it is used as a Last Step Product, (i.e. You have already cleaned/polished the surface to it's highest potential and now want to seal it for protection). In this case, you apply the product evenly. Allow ~15 minutes, and then remove with a MF towel.

I hope this helps!

Tim
                  Hi Tim, thats the answers I am looking for! You've been a great help. Was about the PM you when I saw your Online status. Hopefully with this combo, I can achieve strong protection and shine against the darn acidic rain everyday during Nov and Dec. Tks for the advice again man! You're great.

Comment

Mike
                    Hey Mike, Tks to you too man. Cheers!

Comment

Mike
                      Oh, btw Mike, I've come to notice from experience of using the cleaner wax(maroon bottle) and recently the ColorX. The ColorX seems to be better in terms of bringing out the depth of the paint and also easier to apply and clean. Its also costs about 1/3 more than the cleaner wax. I got both now. Could I say the ColorX is more superior?

Comment

Oh, btw Mike, I've come to notice from experience of using the cleaner wax(maroon bottle) and recently the ColorX. The ColorX seems to be better in terms of bringing out the depth of the paint and also easier to apply and clean. Its also costs about 1/3 more than the cleaner wax. I got both now. Could I say the ColorX is more superior?
                        You could say that ColorX is superior at cleaning as it is a much stronger cleaner/wax. If tested against Meguiar's Cleaner/wax on a neglected car it will work better, or produce superior results. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, (maroon bottle), offers less cleaning, but more polishing and protection. Theoretically, after you restore the finish with the ColorX, the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax should improve upon the richness, gloss and shine while also protecting better.

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, (In the company we call it, A-12), is no slouch. Used correctly, it creates a deep dark wet-look shine. It offers very good protection, it's easy to apply and remove, it beads water really well, (small, tall and tight water beads), it can be applied by hand, dual action polisher or an orbital buffer and it's priced very competitively.

I usually always keep some A-12 in my car in case I become involved in a one-on-one discussion on paint care in the parking lot with a car enthusiast so that I have something to work with. A bottle of cleaner/wax, some Quik Detailer and a clean microfiber will enable me to quickly do a test spot on someones finish and then steer them toward a number of different options as to how to go about restoring their finish, whether they want to do a multiple step system, (Deep Crystal System), or a simple one-step system such as A-12 or ColorX.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

You could say that ColorX is superior at cleaning as it is a much stronger cleaner/wax. If tested against Meguiar's Cleaner/wax on a neglected car it will work better, or produce superior results. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, (maroon bottle), offers less cleaning, but more polishing and protection. Theoretically, after you restore the finish with the ColorX, the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax should improve upon the richness, gloss and shine while also protecting better.

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, (In the company we call it, A-12), is no slouch. Used correctly, it creates a deep dark wet-look shine. It offers very good protection, it's easy to apply and remove, it beads water really well, (small, tall and tight water beads), it can be applied by hand, dual action polisher or an orbital buffer and it's priced very competitively.

I usually always keep some A-12 in my car in case I become involved in a one-on-one discussion on paint care in the parking lot with a car enthusiast so that I have something to work with. A bottle of cleaner/wax, some Quik Detailer and a clean microfiber will enable me to quickly do a test spot on someones finish and then steer them toward a number of different options as to how to go about restoring their finish, whether they want to do a multiple step system, (Deep Crystal System), or a simple one-step system such as A-12 or ColorX.

Mike
                          Tks Mike. Meguiars has so many incredible products. Guess I'll make full use of the products I have. ColorX, Cleaner Wax and lastly NXT!

Comment

Tks Mike. Meguiars has so many incredible products. Guess I'll make full use of the products I have. ColorX, Cleaner Wax and lastly NXT!
                            And you too, have been stamped with the label "Car Crazy" like the rest of us. I used to keep my detailing supplies in the trunk of my car, but I no longer have room for all of them. I really need to get a garage to house my arsenal of products

Comment

Originally posted by PendragonZ
                              And you too, have been stamped with the label "Car Crazy" like the rest of us. I used to keep my detailing supplies in the trunk of my car, but I no longer have room for all of them. I really need to get a garage to house my arsenal of products
                              Ha ha, seems like I'm getting more into this car detailing stuff. I got the Gold Class Shampoo, Cleaner Wax, ColorX, NXT tech wax, NXT booster wax, Scratch X & Quik Detailer. Phew. More and more...

The climate over here needs extra care and protection.

Comment

Mike
                                Hi again, I just did 2 coats of NXT over the ColorX and the results were fantastic. But I also realize that streaking occurs especially on the bonnet area. I applied 2 thin coats seperately after a day and there's still some uneveness. Some parts of the paintwork seem to be darker with patches. However I used a terry cloth to buff the area trying to even out the color tone but am afraid that by doing this, I will infact strip off the polymers thus affecting the durability. Any remedies to prevent streaking and patchiness? Polish guru pls advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');