• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean there??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean there??

Hello all! I purchased Meguiars #54 Gel Wash, Flagship Premium Marine Wax, and Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner and I'm ready to clean and wax our new boat for the first time and then I noticed something......

How in the world do you clean the boat in the areas where it rests on the boat trailer???? Mine has the two boards that are covered with carpet.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
    GO HOKIES!!!!

Re: How do you clean there??

I'm not sure the size of your boat, but when my neighbor washes his boat, he has me come by and lift the boat up a couple inches so he can wash those areas you described. If that's not an option for you, than just work around them
    Matt

Comment

First things first, How big is your boat?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

It's a Bayliner 175. It's 17.6 feet long and 8 feet wide. Here's a pic of it.

GO HOKIES!!!!

Comment

And it weighs about 1800lbs. Don't think I can lift it.....
          GO HOKIES!!!!

Comment

Yeah I think that unless you have some method to lift the boat up, you are going to have to just leave that area untreated. We'll see what some others think.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I figure.

Two more questions.

I had read on here that most do not wax the bottom of the boat because it slows the boat down. True?

I have a few scuff marks on the side of the boat in the blue part of the boat. They are not in the paint. Something has brushed up against it. I've tried cleaner wax, paste wax and the clay bar and nothing brings it off. Some areas you can remove it with you fingernail, but others you can't. What could I use to remove the scuff marks?

Thanks.
              GO HOKIES!!!!

Comment

I'd think it makes it faster, if it doesn't effect the speed at all.
                Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Originally posted by youther View Post
                  yeah, that's what i figure.

Two more questions.

I had read on here that most do not wax the bottom of the boat because it slows the boat down. True? true..waxing the bottom increases the surface tension of the hull on the water = more drag. Race boat guys will actually "rough up" the bottom of the boats to arerate the water under the hull. Will it make a difference in your boat? No way, i say wax it, it will make it easier to clean during the season. I wax the bottom of my 22 footer every fall before i put it away for the winter. It gives me an opportunity to get under there, clean the bottom real good, and make sure there's no damage on areas you normally don't see.

i have a few scuff marks on the side of the boat in the blue part of the boat. They are not in the paint. Something has brushed up against it. I've tried cleaner wax, paste wax and the clay bar and nothing brings it off. Some areas you can remove it with you fingernail, but others you can't. What could i use to remove the scuff marks?

remember, your boat does not have paint, it's gelcoat. Gelcoats a lot harder and thicker than clearcoat / paint and acts totally different when correcting blemishes. A light wetsand, some compound, and wax will easily remove stuff that you wouldn't think could be fixed.

thanks.
                  k

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');