• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern paint is more durable, but why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern paint is more durable, but why?

First off...this is not a guessing game or a debate as to what manufacturer uses better paint. So please don't post random non-factual stuff as it will turn into a debate and misinform people.

We've all heard it; "modern paint is more durable," but why is that?

I know that obviously technology is always advancing but what is it that makes modern clearcoat's/paint systems more durable than say the 80's or 90's?

Are manufactures spraying thicker clear coats as well as having a technologically advanced clear coat?

Ryan

Remember: No random guesses!!!!
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Re: Modern paint is more durable, but why?

The School of Economics dictates that things get better only because of competition. Competition between paint manufacturers, competition between teams of developers, competition between individual scientists within an entity. Remember, within today's competitve enterprises, research teams have no second chances. If they are not making any improvements over existing technologies, there are always people that are capable of replacing them with far lower contract costs.

And that is why things are improving and changing for the better.

It's really hard to explain why paints are becoming more durable. Stuff like thesea are always proprietary and manufacturers never explain the secrets to making successful products.

Comment

Synthetic polymer technology has made enormous leaps in the past ~10-15 years and clear coat systems have improved accordingly.
      James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
      Calais Auto Detailing
      CalaisDetails@aim.com
      www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Advanced chemistry,better technology.I don't think there is any thicker clear though.

Comment

Bump...

Comment

Clear coats are a huge part of why, but to be technically correct, paint quality in many senses has taken a step backwards over the last few years as laws regarding the materials in paint have gotten very strict regarding VOCs.

My neighbor is a contractor and does painting for homes, wood, and also custom hot rods. He was explaining how the cost of paint has gone through the roof and the new water based paints are considerably more expensive, but worse to work with and don't last as long as the stuff from a few years ago.

Overall though, if you look at paint from the 1970s to 1980s etc you will still notice an increase in durability, mostly due to clearcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Clear coats are a huge part of why, but to be technically correct, paint quality in many senses has taken a step backwards over the last few years as laws regarding the materials in paint have gotten very strict regarding VOCs.
              I can't help but to wonder if we are shooting ourselves in the foot with these new "green" rules.
              r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                I can't help but to wonder if we are shooting ourselves in the foot with these new "green" rules.
                I think the decision to avoid off-shore drilling has just shot a hole in our wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                  I think the decision to avoid off-shore drilling has just shot a hole in our wallet.
                  I'm afraid that decision is going to come back and haunt us big time in the not too distant future.
                  r. b.

Comment

Remember guys, no politics on MOL...

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                      James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                      Calais Auto Detailing
                      CalaisDetails@aim.com
                      www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

I'm hoping Michael Stoops or Tim chime in here- I'm sure both understand the intricacies of paint far better than I

Comment

I'm hoping Michael Stoops or Tim chime in here- I'm sure both understand the intricacies of paint far better than I
                          Same here...we need some facts up in this thread.

Ryan

Comment

Ryan,

The short answer: Improved chemistry

As with any technology, that which is common at one time is the starting point for further development and improvement. After a lot of research, hard work, experimentation and extensive testing, something new and better is created. Then, that becomes the norm and the cycle starts all over again.

The long answer? I can’t give you that. I don’t have a PhD in polymer chemistry.

Modern applied chemistry isn’t just mixing up batches of whatever’s lying around. Chemists use their understanding of the science of how atoms and molecules work to figure how they can create entirely new molecules that have never existed before.

By arranging, modifying and rearranging molecules from an infinite variety of possible combinations, they can fine-tune the materials’ characteristics, playing a subtle balancing act among many desirable (and often contradictory) traits.

Just as a tiny example, here’s a passage from the book Polyurethanes by Ulrich Meier-Westhues (pg. 145):

“Two-component polyurethane systems are based on hydroxyfunctional acrylates, and in some cases polyester resins, which are crosslinked with aliphatic polyisocyanurates[53], such as the HDI-based “Desmodur N” and the IPDI-based “Desmodure Z”. Due to their higher reactivity, they are baked for around 20 to 30 minutes between 130 and 140°C. Two-component polyurethane systems differ from conventional technologies in the following aspects (Figure 5.43):
                            * Improved chemical and, in particular, etch resistance
                            * Good mechanical properties (resistance to scratching and stone-chipping)
                            * Outstanding optical properties (long-term gloss retention, brilliance)
                            * High solids content
                            * Reactivity”

So, until we can tell the hexamethylene diisocyanates (HDI’s) from the isophorone diisocyanates (IPDI’s) at the party, I don’t think we’ll be able to truly understand the exact answer to your question.

pc.

Comment

My neighbor is a contractor and does painting for homes, wood, and also custom hot rods. He was explaining how the cost of paint has gone through the roof and the new water based paints are considerably more expensive, but worse to work with and don't last as long as the stuff from a few years ago.
                              I could not disagree more. Paint costs have NOT gone through the roof on the construction side (no clue on the auto side) and durability is NOT worse than it was "a few years ago". If anything the newer water based products are easier to use, last longer, and safer for all involved. I'm guessing your neighbor is an old schooler that is uncomfortable with change or is just repeating something he heard.

When the industry moved away from lead based paints people thought it was the end of deep dark house colors having any sort of covering abilities. We all know that's not true.

Also, for woodwork you can still get oil based topcoats in any state...even Kalifornia.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');