• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Lincoln Continental Keeper's Makeover - autoLavish rejuvenates vehicle 8 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Lincoln Continental Keeper's Makeover - autoLavish rejuvenates vehicle 8 years!

While we were working on the Black 997 we posted last week, a neighbor in the sub, while walking her dog, passed by. Literally amazed by the Porsche (what she said), she stopped to watch. I walked out to our truck to grab something, and stopped to talk to her. She asked what we were doing...

So after delivering the Porsche, we drove down the street for an estimate. The client needed a full interior deep clean and a nice wash & wax. We set the date for Monday morning.

Upon arrival on a beautiful day:

Interior befores:

Notice the shine on the leather. This is accumulated oils and soils clogging the leather's pores. Just like the paint, the smoother the surface the more gloss it has. Leather should sheen, but not gloss.

The carpets would need extraction:

Dash will need dusting before cleaning. If you wipe with just water on a MF towel before wiping with cleaner, the towel works better, and less grime gets entrapped in the vinyl texturing. It only take a few minutes more. For a dirty dash, we rinse with water after wiping/brushing with cleaner. Then finish off with protectant or 1Z Cockpit (I love this stuff!!) depending on desired finish and protection needs.

We started by dry-vacuuming the seats and carpet:

Tools for first round of leather cleaning:

working in the Woolite blend with a leather brush:

after one wipe to remove the brushed up slurry:

But the seats already look MUCH better. The gloss is nearly all gone. The leather brush really helps to open up the leather's pores and wrinkles.

We then applied Leatherique Penetrating Oil, and proceeded to work on the exterior, giving the oil time to do its magic. This stuff really works, on the right type of leather. I find I have to apply fairly heavy to get good "wetness". If you apply too little, you can get blotching soon after finishing up. Opposed to LSPs, a little more here goes a long way.

The engine had never been washed as far as we could tell:

We foamed the engine to get the light stuff of first:

Then proceeded with Megs Super Degreaser at 4:1 dilution, rinsed with the pressure washer, and dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing at 2:1. The plastic surfaces were wiped off to even out the dressing:

The client wanted a good waxing for the finish, not correction at this time since it would go over her budget. We decided to use Klasse AIO applied by the PC, to see if we could get any "bonus" correction. After claying with Meg's Clay, we used a white pad (Next time we may try an orange pad), and got slight correction. The AIO was applied very fast, barely working it in due to time running out. Still, the correction was pretty good! I must say, in person the difference is quite dramatic!

After the exterior and engine were completed, we returned to the interior. The Leatherique Penetrating Oil had dried and surfaced:

...but more cleaning was in the seat's future. Marc has some very cool brushes for the PC, in various stiffness and bristle lengths. We chose the best one for the leather (short, medium stiffness), and applied Woolite and Lexol Leather Cleaner to the seats, and let the PC do the scrubbing. This worked amazingly well! We ordered another set of brushes for the second PC in our arsenal.

Scrubbed side:

Un-scrubbed side:

After final wiping with Lexol Conditioner:

Dash after final wipe with Megs Interior Detailer (no 1Z on hand this time ):

The trunk was vacuumed, and the spare was wiped (both sides) and cleaned.

Jambs were cleaned with #34 and/or ONR at QD dilution:

The owner uses reusable grocery bags, and had a few in the trunk among other things. We folded everything up, and put it into bags to help organize.

And here are the final shots. Total time was about 4 hours with Marc and I running full speed. The owner was quick to put it back in the garage as it was clouding over quickly:

The client wanted to freshen up her vehicle since she wanted to keep it. After the rejuvenation she saw it had strong potential, and is considering going after some multi-step correction in the near future. When we did the estimate we warned her that this detailing stuff can be habit forming. We told her so!

Thanks for reading. We hope you enjoy!

Jacob and Marc,
    autoLavish

Re: 2001 Lincoln Continental Keeper's Makeover - autoLavish rejuvenates vehicle 8 yea

Looks Great!!
    Excellent Work you too as Usual!!
    Nice Write Up!!
    The interior is MUCH better and so is the Exterior!!
    Keep Up the Great Work!!
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Re: 2001 Lincoln Continental Keeper's Makeover - autoLavish rejuvenates vehicle 8 yea

Nice job on the Lincoln. I have to say that is probably the worst interior I've seen. The leather was so nasty, I don't see how the owner could bring herself to sit on it. Very nice save on this one.

Colin
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

What a transformation on the interior. That was nasty. Glad she sees the potential in the car. It looks like it is in great shape.

As usual great work.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Excellent turn-around.

What was your product of choice for the multiple stains on the floors?

I see you had Leatherique Rejuvination Oil, but you had no Leatherique Cleaner?

I do love the power of Woolite, I might have to get one of those brush heads for my G110, it really scrubbed out those stains.

How do you like your Rigid SV hose and attachments? I absolutely love mine.
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

A woman? with an interior like that? It was some amount of dirt.

Good gadget for cleaning the leather

Comment

What brushes were you using on the PC?
              It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                Good gadget for cleaning the leather
                I love that little thing... Where can I get one?!? I need to do my leather...

Enjoyable write up- informative too... Love to see the progress and procedure...
                2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
                2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Car looks a whole lot better. Nice job on that interior too. I bet she was very excited on the end result!
                  Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                  www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                  Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Great job....... The car was old looking and you made it look young and fresh
                    Sudzontherun serving all of the Tri-state Area

Comment

great job..

Woolite FTW

Comment

Thank you all for the replies! Glad you liked it!

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                        Excellent turn-around.

What was your product of choice for the multiple stains on the floors?

I see you had Leatherique Rejuvination Oil, but you had no Leatherique Cleaner?

I do love the power of Woolite, I might have to get one of those brush heads for my G110, it really scrubbed out those stains.

How do you like your Rigid SV hose and attachments? I absolutely love mine.
                        For the floors we used APC+ at 10:1, various brushes, rinse, vacuum out, then repeat! For the removable floor mats we used APC+ at 4:1, stiff brushed, then pressure washed APC out, hung to dry, the vacuumed dry.

IMO the leatherique cleaner is good, but not strong enough for this job. I must use 4 times the oil than the cleaner. Todd (TSC17) mentioned to use the Pristine Clean on weather seals, so I may give it a second chance. For this car we used Lexol and Woolite, sorta sprayed on alternatively.

The attachments are awesome! Marc's GF gave them to him as a present, and we were blown away by how useful they are. Definitely a must buy for the shop vac!

Originally posted by mckeand13 View Post
                        What brushes were you using on the PC?
                        Originally posted by JoeDirt View Post
                        I love that little thing... Where can I get one?!? I need to do my leather...

Enjoyable write up- informative too... Love to see the progress and procedure...
                        The brushes are in the autogeek store: http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-brushes.html

Expensive, but worked the charm! Actually, I think Marc's GF gave these to him as well...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');