• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stone chip painting after waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone chip painting after waxing

I waxed my black vehicle this weekend and while doing it in noticed two small stone chips. Unfortunately I had already waxed over the two spots. Can I dab a little black paint on those spots now, or will it not stick because of the wax?
    Should I clean the two spots with varsol, soap/water, then paint, and rewax? The chips are are not into the metal, just the primer is showing.
    Thanks.

Re: Stone chip paitng after waxing

I'd certainly clean the chip and a small surrounding area before attempting to apply paint. Isopropyl alcohol, etc will usually do the trick. If you used anything that might contain silicones be especially diligent with your cleaning.

Comment

You'll have to clean the spots first to give the touch up paint some good adhesion.Soap alone will not remove wax and the paint will not stick.The surface will need to be grease free.

I normaly clean the spot with a little diluted alcohol/spirit.

Comment

You might want to sand a little as well, to make sure any loose edges are removed.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Stone chip painting after waxing

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');