• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Polishing by Machine - Defect Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glass Polishing by Machine - Defect Correction

Lake Country sells a glass polishing kit that comes with a backing plate, felt pads (heavy cutting) and abrasive impregnated foam pads (polishing) as well as a cerinum oxide abrasive.

I have had great luck with this kit, again the trick being technique.

FWIW, the heat will distort the plastic layer between the the inside and outside glass, not the glass itself. It is not really a concern on the side windows or the back windows.

However if you are polishing a convertible or a classic keep in mind that excessive pressure can actually cause the glass to shatter.
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by seech View Post
      Tim, how about regular water spots etc? Can we just use M105 with a polishing pad? Or does glass require a special glass polish and pad?
      There's a forum group that has a ton of information contained within it here,

Hot Topics

The topic of what it takes to remove a film off glass, (not a scratch out of glass), is a popular topic and this thread goes back to 2005, it's discussed to death why you want to use product like M04

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

Be sure to read some of the follow-up questions in the thread as for whatever reason the ideas were hard for some people to grasp so I broke them down to simpler forms using the word chunky, I think.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning link isn't a good link.
        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Yup, link is broken! Looks like he pasted the last thing he copied onto the end of the URL, which was an email address instead of the thread location! Should be an easy fix.

I'm looking forward to reading more about glass polishing though! My car is in desperate need!

Comment

I may have found the thread Mike was referencing:

Comment

Where can one obtain a glass polish, and can one use a DA for this and if so, what cutting pad? Perhaps the red one?

Comment

nice results.

Comment

Hello! I just love Meg products here in Australia. Use them all the time

Tried this method as outlined in this thread. WOW! And I mean WOW! My auto glass looks superb. Thank you for posting this information. I used a felt wheel with a thin liqiud "slurry" of optical grade cerium oxide and distilled water. Mixed it very watery and as it dried out used spray bottle with distilled water to re lube. This stuff is "magic".

Used very slow speed and light pressure and the glass is crystal clear removing 25 years of harsh environment and wiper rash. I could see the difference and the "sheeting" of water film on the glass took on an entirely different conduct after the polishing process. The glass has a gloss of new glass and Im flabergasted. Thankyou for your guide. It worked for me exceptionally well.

Steve

Comment

There is available kit here in the philippines?If there,where?Please give me the exact address.Thanks and god bless.

Comment

I did my windshield over the weekend - amazing results! Had tracks that were in, not on, the glass. You couldn't feel them with your fingernail, but you could see them when driving into the sun or oncoming headlights.

I used a slurry of cerium oxide and tap water (about a 1-3 mixture), and applied with a Porter-Cable random orbital. I decided to try the pad that came with the PC, since I had no plans to use it for anything else. Worked in the up-down, side-to-side pattern you'd use when polishing paint. Spent about 90 minutes doing the entire windshield.

I must say, I am impressed with the results.

The only downside is the cerium oxide splatters a lot, so a thorough and careful wash is required afterwards.

Comment

Awesome...but there are still some open questions. Can this be done with a DA and Ultimate Compound? Isn't newer glass coated, aren't the fine scratches just in the coatings, and can we not easily ruin such coatings?

BTW, as usual, I've found a little QD/QW works wonders, but not for heavy wiper scratches.
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I tried UC and it didn't do a thing. That's not to say it might work on some wiper tracks - worth a shot. Mine were deep enough that it didn't though. I would like to know what others think about ruining a coating with cerium oxide.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');