• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use compressed air while detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you use compressed air while detailing?

Originally posted by Calais View Post
    They wouldn't sell me cans of compressed air at Staples the other day because they thought I was going to huff it. They needed to see an ID! I showed them my bag full of detailing supplies, told them what I use it for and they gave me a look that said "a likely story".
    LMAO!
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
      I don't think I could do a full detail on a car without it!

-Blowing off engine and exterior nooks & crannies
      -Purging interior to get all the loose debirs out from hard to reach areas
      -Detailing vents, pockets, and other tight areas
      -Blowing off wool pads
      -A must for the cheap carpet in some cars...like the junk they used in the old ****!!!
      +1 Cant seem to properly finish work w/o it.

They wouldn't sell me cans of compressed air at Staples the other day because they thought I was going to huff it. They needed to see an ID! I showed them my bag full of detailing supplies, told them what I use it for and they gave me a look that said "a likely story".
      LMAO!
      Learning new things everyday

Comment

I said no. Not for not wanting though. I have no room for a compressor at the moment.

Comment

Get yourself a big truck inner tube, some air line and some adpt. fittings fill the inner tube and you have cheap portable air.

Comment

Compressed air is almost a must have if you do any sort of work on cars.
            BobbyG

Comment

IF i am going to be waxing then yes...but if i'm just washing then i use my absorber

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                Get yourself a big truck inner tube, some air line and some adpt. fittings fill the inner tube and you have cheap portable air.
                Does that work better than a 7 gallon air tank?
                r. b.

Comment

I have a 20 gallon air compressor my stepdad left. But I don't see the point of using it, nor do I even know how to use it
                  Toyota Corolla S ZZE136L
                  After using UC, UP, and UW... I'm not happy with smooth as glass.
                  Smooth as Glass is an old standard, the new standard for paint texture is Meguiar's Ultimate Quality...

Comment

Bah I wish there was a 3rd poll option: "No, but wish I did"

I used them frequently at the detail shop but don't own a compressor at home. Great tool to have as a detailer imo.
                    Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

I just used my air compressor for detailing for the first time a couple of days ago. I thought I kept my 2 year old truck extremely clean ( I normally vacuum under the seats often). I was surprised by how much debris I blew out from underneath the seats. I was also pleasantly surprised how much faster and effective, I was at vacuuming lint etc. out out of the seats and carpet. Just a quick shot with the air while holding the vacuum nozzle in front to catch the debris was all it took.

I did have to wear hearing protection however as the combination of vacuum and air was quite loud. I also wore safety glasses. I always use safety gear so this is no big deal to me. I wear hearing protection with the G110V2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit Bill View Post
                        I was also pleasantly surprised how much faster and effective, I was at vacuuming ...Just a quick shot...to catch the debris was all it took.
                        Thanks for the feedback. Any advice on the smallest tank/compressor that would get your interior done? [IE. "surprise you"].

"Just a quick shot with the air while holding the vacuum nozzle in front to catch the debris was all it took."
                        Some us have space problems and in the spring, credit card fingers are starting to twitch. There are stand alone pressure tanks, but, you can get a pancake compressor for around $100. Still........

It's about the weight...something light enough to put up on a high shelf.

If you filled the tank and turned off the compressor do you think you'd have enough pressure for the required number of quick shots without sacrificing your standards for the interior.

Thanks [hopefully not just for me.]
                        Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                        by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
                          Thanks for the feedback. Any advice on the smallest tank/compressor that would get your interior done? [IE. "surprise you"].

This is what I was using with absolutely no issues. 6 gallon, 150 psi max.

However, I would prefer something smaller, quieter, lighter for mobile detailing. Sorry I don't have a recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit Bill View Post
                            ... I was using... 6 gallon, 150 psi max.
                            .would prefer something smaller for mobile detailing.
                            I will continue researching and let you know if I find something. A compressor with the tank? Appreciate the info, which has given me a different search tactic.

I am leaning towards a carrier as I will seldom use it.
                            Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Costco has some pretty cheap small compressors. If you don't like them you can always take them back.

I'd stay away from the tank only models. You'll likely never use it, as it will be a pain in the but to take to the gas station etc to refill. You loose a lot of air pressure quickly with a blowing air out to atmosphere. It's not the same as inflating a tire.

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                                Unfortunately not. That's where the leaf blower comes in.
                                Same!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');