• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black car problem - film from Ultimate Quik Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black car problem - film from Ultimate Quik Wax

I've been using Meguiar's detailing sprays for years with no problems, but I've just tried the Ultimate Quik Wax as a final step toward that elusive perfect shine, and I can't report the positive results that I've seen on this forum, as well as the Chrysler Crossfire forum that I follow religiously. My first impression was that there was a slightly greasy film that took careful buffing to remove, something I never saw with the detailing sprays. Nevertheless, after removing the film, and then going over the entire vehicle yet again to catch the spots I missed, the car looked great. But now, two days later, as I look at the car I see large areas of a haze or film that require even more buffing to eliminate. It looks like I have to go over the car once again.

The car is black, and I know that makes it a bit more of a challenge, but I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble and most folks seem to be succeeding. I'm using the product indoors, in a garage cooled by evaporative cooling. I've tried both microfiber and terry cloth for buffing, with no difference in the hazing. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
    Bob

Re: Black car problem - film from Ultimate Quik Wax

I think what you're experiencing is known as "Streaking."

Basically it looks like blotches in the paint?

Perhaps are you using too much? I find that any spray detailer or spray wax is best to use very lightly. You don't need a lot of product to achieve the results anyway. Just like applying regular wax, more doesn't mean better.
    2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
    2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

I have trouble if I apply it UQW too heavily, or if I spray it in one spot, and dont quickly wipe.

I get the best results from misting a cloth and wiping, or overspraying a larger area.

As far as your streaking, maybe just some UQD would help.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

So funny that you should post this today. Yesterday I gave my car an ONR wash and then waxed her with UQW. Per official recommendation, I sprayed and wiped the entire car first and then buffed off.

Today, after driving outside in the full sun for a couple of hours, a haze appeared on the surface. It came right off with a quick detailer, but still it was annoying to see. Perhaps I applied too heavily. I don't know.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

To get the best result always spray UQW on a microfibre and apply it on the surface of the whole car.
          Applying it this way ensures an even coverage ,if you spray it directly on the surface this is never the case !
          When this is done start buffin it off with a clean,fresh Supreme Shine microfibre.

Succes !

Comment

What did you do to the surface BEFORE applying UQW? Did you wax it? If so, with what product?

Comment

Yeah, what Mark said. What did you do before applying the UQW?
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Don't know about Bob, but I didn't do anything to the paint other than washing it with ONR. I followed the directions given by Mike Phillips in The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax. I've done this a couple of times, and this is the first time I have experienced hazing/streaking/sweating.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  Don't know about Bob, but I didn't do anything to the paint other than washing it with ONR. I followed the directions given by Mike Phillips in The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax. I've done this a couple of times, and this is the first time I have experienced hazing/streaking/sweating.
                  Any chance the towel was contaminated? (Dryer sheet, fabric softener, lack of vinegar in the rinse cycle, etc)

Aside from that, I guess it could be random incompatibility with the humidity, weather, etc, or possibly incomplete product removal?

I know I personally apply UQW by either spraying a single panel, or the towel, and then rubbing it into that single panel until it disappears.

I will get a video up to demo that in a few days- I've been busy editing Fiesta Movement videos

Comment

Spray the UQG on a foam applicator apply to vehicle then go around and buff it out takes longer but get good results.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsor View Post
                      in a garage cooled by evaporative cooling
                      I think that might be the problem you are experiencing, evaporative cooling adds plenty of humidity to the area so even though it feels nice and cool, the relative humidity will be right up there I would think. To me it sounds like the product isn't setting up quickly enough, allowing areas to haze and fully dry at a later date. A thinner coat and or more drying time might be the solution. Perhaps replacing the drying/buffing towel more frequently might help?

Christian

Comment

I would try it again with less product. I would also try using two towels- one for wet product application and the first removal pass, and then a second clean towel for an immediate final pass to ensure full product removal.

The only other thing I can think of that consistently causes streaking is working on a hot surface.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');