• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Shallow Grit Guard Thing for Pad Cleaning and Sandpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Shallow Grit Guard Thing for Pad Cleaning and Sandpaper

I got this "thing" somewhere that is great for cleaning pads, without using a lot of pad cleaning solution.

With the original grit guard, when you want to drop your pads in the bucket to soak the foam pads, you would need at least 4 inches of liquid to have the water level in the bucket high enough to soak the pads. I found this product that uses much less, while trapping polish powder at the bottom. You can probably find it at the kitchen of the dollar store, or something like that.

I know that many people use grit guard during wetsanding, to keep their sandpaper soaked. Again, the problem with that is you have to have a very high water level to adquately soak the sandpaper. This "thing" works great without having to use a lot of soap and water.

It's also shallow so you do not have to reach in to the bucket.

Re: Small Shallow Grit Guard Thing for Pad Cleaning and Sandpaper

Pretty cool.

Do you clean your fish in it too ?

Comment

hahahahaha nah!

But I think I bought a couple other ones for kitchen use.

What more uses can you think of for this "thing"?

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
        hahahahaha nah!

But I think I bought a couple other ones for kitchen use.

What more uses can you think of for this "thing"?
        The wife could put her jewelry it to clean

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I've found that the GritGuard and essentially any GritGuard-type plastic device does wonders for cleaning DA pads (among other things).

I mean, if you look at those $150 DA pad-cleaning buckets...it's the same basic concept. Take water, put a laundry basket-shaped thing on top, rub DA pad on top of the laundry basket plastic thing. Pad clean. You know what I mean when I refer to a "laundry basket", right? I just can't find words for it!

Comment

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Isn't that a kitty litter sifting tray?

Comment

I am glad some of you find this tip helpful!!!

I think litter sifting trays are bigger, with holes more spaced further apart. This is a vegetable cleaning apparatus I believe.

It is working great as a pad cleaner. I can soak my foam pad(s) in the tray using minimal amount of cleaning solution and H2O, with all the polishing dust and residue settling at the bottom without touching the pad. The water level can be low enough such that it isn't touching the hook & loop.

I can also rub the foam pad against the sifter to agitate it.

Stay tuned for my next installment of detailing related, engine-saving tips!!!

Comment

heres my input on a pad cleaner or grit guard bucket.... well i had 2 of those foam sponges that look like massive peanuts from my local walmart sincde they were 1 dollar each... havent used em. had grit guards, had my dedicated 2 wash buckets but extra buckets for laundry detergent n what not at my parents.

well i wanted to invest in a grit guard pad cleaner bucket, but for the price, id rather not. im sure it works wonders but for $135 id rather spend it on other supplies... anyways so i grabbed an old bucket, cut it in half, threw my 2 sponges on the bottom ( 4x8" and about 4inches tall ) grit guard on top. filled with water and some soap... and viola... not like the real one im guessing but for having things around it sure works.
                  i was thinking how i can have a shock or piston like they show in their videos... then i realized i had those sponges. and all seems to work pretty well.. i dont have pics at the moment but you all should have a general idea. and when you need the grit guards again just pull em out and throw em in your rinse/wash bucket
                  - Markito -

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');