• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean/dress the whole tire without moving the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean/dress the whole tire without moving the car

I haven't gotten to try it yet but I think it would work well.

So here it is: get four pieces of 2X4 lumber to to drive onto. The tires will be far enough from the ground that you can reach the bottom section that is normally impossible to clean and dress.

This is probably an old school trick. But I've never seen it done.
    Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
    baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Re: Clean/dress the whole tire without moving the car

Ah, great tip! I might have to try it next time.

Or maybe the hassle of finding and arranging 4 blocks just right is moreso than just hopping in the car and rolling forward 3 feet .

Comment

The concept is good.

There are also wedge shaped plastic ramps that you fill with sand that are very handy. I have a couple,but can't remember how much they cost as it was a long time ago.

Certainly,the wood is a cheaper option.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        The concept is good.

There are also wedge shaped plastic ramps that you fill with sand that are very handy. I have a couple,but can't remember how much they cost as it was a long time ago.

Certainly,the wood is a cheaper option.
        For sure. The ramps I think you're refering to may not work for some cars i.e. low cars with stretched out bumpers. However the tires on some those cars may be tucked in the wheel wells but the blocks would still help a little. Even if you have to move it back and forth.
        Some cars might as well be lifted with a floor jack...
        Look up my car, check out the rear skirts- 1992 chevrolet caprice. There is no easy to do those rear tires.

Comment

I tried this today on my mom's car today and it worked great. It lifts up the tires just enough to reach the lower section with my big autozone tire brush. It might not work as well on large, under-inflated tires. So if your detailing an offroad rig, put some air in those tires, or double up on the boards.

Comment

That's good and cost effective. Maybe you can post a pic of the car raised just to show others how it works. That was why I bought the ramps years ago,and still use them. If I need to raise my car with the jack,for any kind of work,i need to drive onto a ramp first. The car is low and the side skirt stops the jack from entering. There are extra low jacks,but they cost a good bit more.

The ramp you have made...did you plain it to make it a wedge shape?

Comment

I've thought of using my pair of garage floor jacks to dress tires

But I also came to the same conclusion that it's more difficult, time consuming, and unnecessary than just rolling the car forward 3 feet.

Also, never do anything that could risk damage to the vehicle using improvisational devices. Even if you have insurance, you likely would not be covered if you jerry-rig a device or solution.

Comment

Probably inapplicable to most, but at my house I just park on the edge of the concrete...

Also, bendable cutting boards work well to stuff under the edge of the tire to avoid contact with the concrete when applying dressings, and can also be shaped to stuff between the wheel and tire as well, makes it pretty clean and easy...

Comment

It works great for cleaning the wheel wells of smaller cars too. I use mine with a compressor adaptor. Best $100 I spent(2 ton model).

To see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmAe-WKQmo

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
                    http://www.airjackusa.com/index.htm

It works great for cleaning the wheel wells of smaller cars too. I use mine with a compressor adaptor. Best $100 I spent(2 ton model).

To see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmAe-WKQmo

WOW! That thing is ridiculous!

Comment

I remember seeing those, they are impressive... but I'd rather trust my life a jack and some jack stands.

Comment

Here is what I have used for the last five years during our drought in the Southeast.

Liquid absorbent pads under the rubber tire mat let’s you clean around the thread while capturing any tire or rim residue runoff.

Easy to make, low cost, portable, unbreakable rubber, no mess, meets EPA regulations, keeps your garage or your clients garage flooring clean, no brake dust residue stains!

Photos 1&2 show hands on client learning - cleaning her cars tires & rims using Meg’s Hot Shine, rinse using ONR.
                        Tire pad photo #1
                        Tire pad photo #2

Photos show two black 1 foot by 2 foot rubber mat sections on top of four runoff pads.
                        Pads only photo

You can purchase the black tire mat at Home Depot in 3 foot by 3 foot squares. Industrial fatigue mat costs around $20.00.

How you can make the tire mat sections.
                        Cut this large piece into smaller pieces using a razor knife and gloves. Cut four 1 foot by 2 foot sections refer back to pads only photos. You can cut 4 sections with a 1 foot by 1 foot square remaining. The right amount for a car.

How to Use.
                        Place a mat section directly in front of each tire and roll car on with the tire edge hanging over the tire mat.

Now we can get at the bottom edge of the tire when cleaning and dressing.
                        The way a person treats their car is a direct reflection of how they treat themselves

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');