• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax with best UV protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax with best UV protection?

Which "wax" product offers the best UV protection? Thank you.
    2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Re: Wax with best UV protection?

So Far.....

Comment

Why ?. Are you planning on using this on yourself ?
      I got so mad at a girl who was texting while she was driving,that I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her

Comment

from a scientific and technical standpoint I have no idea however from a functional standpoint NXT 2.0 topped with Gold class has work very well for me done here in 100 degree southern Texas.
        Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

"Why ?. Are you planning on using this on yourself ?" LOL!
          Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

My question is entirely serious. It seems like everyone's focused on "shine," but it's protecting my vehicle from the damaging effects of sun on a car's finish that's important (after all, a wipe-and-shine product will temporarily gloss-up a car, but it doesn't provide extended UV protection). I presumed that Meguiars would have built UV protection into a few of their products, but based on your responses, I see that's not the case. Can you recommended another brand that builds in UV protection to its wax? Thank you.
            2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Comment

The better answer is that the paint on your car has much more UV protection built in than the wax could add. So by caring for the paint on your car with washes, polish, wax, etc, you are maintaining the UV protection.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

From the Meguiar's FAQ:

Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited
                The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true. Taking care of the paint you presently have will go further to protect your finish than relying on protection supplied by a liquid you pour out of a bottle, or a wax you scoop out of a can. UV protection in a car wax formula is only an extra-dose of preventative maintenance, not the end-all, cure-all that some companies would lead you to believe.

UV protection for paint is much different from UV blocking ingredients for human skin. The two formulas are nothing alike and work in drastically different ways. There is no correlation between the ratings applied to the different levels of sun blocking protection for products intended for use on human skin and the ingredients available for use in an automotive wax formula. Sad to say, much of what you see advertised about the protective qualities of most car care products on the market today is simply over-exaggerated hype used to separate you from your hard earned dollars.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');