• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M66 and M21 2.0 are good together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M66 and M21 2.0 are good together?

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm learning a lot with you guys.

I'm from Brazil and here is a fight to find/buy Meguiars products. Maybe 3M doesn't want KO...who knows...sometimes buying a company is the safest way to avoid global competition...and Meguiars productos are highly rated over here.

Well...My doubts are (by hand):
    - its OK to apply M21 2.0 after M66?
    - what's the safest period of time between applications of the combination above in the same car?

Thank you guys and keep up spreading the knowledge!!

Rafael Silveira
    Rio de Janeiro
    Brazil

Re: M66 and M21 2.0 are good together?

Yes you can apply M21 by hand Colorx would be a good subtitute for M66 since doing it by hand.

Comment

M21 after M66 should work great- I use this combo on occasion myself and love the results.

As for waiting time, in a pinch, try to give it at least an hour, but ideally 12 hours work be great.

Comment

If you are using M66 as a cleaner, meaning, that you are working in the product and removing it immediately then you can apply M21 right away when you are done with M66

Now if you are using M66 as an AIO product and you want to add more protection or the protection benefits that M21 offer then I would wait (12hrs ideally) and apply M21

Comment

I think this is a great combo.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Is M66 and Colorx closely associated?

Would using Colorx three times a year be too much cleanibg for the clear coat would be using it for a bse for NXt/M21 and M20.

thanx mongo

Comment

Mongo, you may find this thread of interest: Cleaner Wax vs ColorX.

A number of MOL members use ColorX on a regular and frequent basis. Based on what I have read on this forum, if you are applying by hand, I do not believe you need worry about removing excessive clear coat over the long term. Last year Mike Phillips was asked if it was safe to use ColorX every month or two. He replied, "Completely safe." If you'd like to use a milder cleaner wax, then consider either Cleaner Wax or M20 Polymer Sealant.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
                Now if you are using M66 as an AIO product and you want to add more protection or the protection benefits that M21 offer then I would wait (12hrs ideally) and apply M21
                Sorry my lack of knowledge, but what AIO stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by rsilveira View Post
                  Sorry my lack of knowledge, but what AIO stands for?
                  AIO=all-in-one. In the detailng world it is commonly used to refer to a product that both cleans the paint surface and leaves behind a layer of protection. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, ColorX, and M66 are all AIOs.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

After the M66 application I have to wait a period of 12 hours...ok..so later befor the M21 2.0 aplication do I have to clean the surface with a detailer?
                    What should I do?

Comment

You dont have to wait 12 hours... that is just for absolute best looks. Its not like the wax will all fall off if you only wait 20 minutes.

And yeah, if the car gets dusty in between coats, it is good to give a quick QD wipedown.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I'm a little confused here. Colorx is a cleaner/polish/wax, why would you want to apply an AIO first then a sealant such as #21 over a wax. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of sealant's superior protection directly on the paint?? shouldn't #21 go directly on clean paint for the best protection, then if need be a wax on top of that for added affect?

I'm still learning so bear with me...
                          2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by fordf150 View Post
                            I'm a little confused here. Colorx is a cleaner/polish/wax, why would apply an AIO first then a sealant such as #21 over a wax. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of protection of the paint?? shouldn't #21 go directly on clean paint for the best protection, then if need be a wax on top of that for added affect?
                            Think of it this way. Meguiar's recommends two coats of a protectant for uniform and even coverage. A helpful analogy, perhaps, is painting a house--the walls look better after the second coat of paint. A cleaner wax provides an initial layer of coverage, but the paint surface still might benefit from a second coat of protection. You can't use the cleaner wax for the second coat, as it would simply remove the wax that had just been applied. Hence it makes sense, if one wants to do this, to top the cleaner wax with a sealant or wax. M21 is a good candidate for this second coat. You could also use NXT, M26, M16, or DC1. A popular combination here on MOL is ColorX topped with NXT: see Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

I get the cleaner part before the application of #21 and not after, but are you going to get the same superior protection from a sealant like #21 if you apply it over a product that also contains wax such as colorx? If ultimate protection was your goal wouldn't just 2 thin coats of #21 be better after say using a paint cleaner/polish (M205)? Or possible #21 followed up with something like a pure wax such as #26 for a different look??

Again, eager person just trying to learn here.....
                              2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');