• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Crystal Step 1!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Crystal Step 1!!!

I cannot believe that such a great product is being discontinued! Meguiar's execs must love to discontinue only the best products huh? (M16, Gold Class accessories, MPPP, etc.)

The reason why I was using this product was to help me prep my paint surface to reattach a trim piece. It is the rear quarter panel trim piece on the driver side, the opposite of the one pictured below:

I wiped down the surface with alcohol to strip the wax. The alcohol left a really weird chalky streak where it was wiped. It was unusually dry and really freaked me out at first. I thought I had ruined my paint permanently. I wish I had taken pictures of that, it was really scary.

I tried QD with a supreme shine with no luck whatsoever. This is the point at which I was beginning to become really worried.

DC1 on a foam applicator did the trick: I passionately rubbed it into the surface and it perfected it. I even used it to help remove the existing adhesive left over from the original application.

After I had a clean, stripped surface I carefully applied the 3M double sided automotive tape to the trim piece and cut it to size. I was extra careful to evenly apply it to my car. Firm pressure seems to be the key.

Now I have my perfectly adhered trim piece back on the car where it belongs thanks to Meguiar's DC1 and it's parent company's (3M) automotive trim tape.

Edit: pics to come tomorrow if there's no more rain.
    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
    Calais Auto Detailing
    CalaisDetails@aim.com
    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Re: Deep Crystal Step 1!!!

Dude, we still have DC-1 here in Canada. BUT for some reason their price has been jacked up recently to $10 a bottle... (From 7.99 or something)

Let me know if you need some...

I wiped down the surface with alcohol to strip the wax. The alcohol left a really weird chalky streak where it was wiped. It was unusually dry and really freaked me out at first. I thought I had ruined my paint permanently. I wish I had taken pictures of that, it was really scary.
    That's why you use 50/50 distilled water and alcohol. The 99% alcohol DOES harm the paint. I am able to remove touch-up paint using full strength alcohol.

Comment

Its more that the general public expects a few swirls to be able to be removed with a cleaning product, and SwirlX provides that.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
        Dude, we still have DC-1 here in Canada. BUT for some reason their price has been jacked up recently to $10 a bottle... (From 7.99 or something)

That's why you use 50/50 distilled water and alcohol. The 99% alcohol DOES harm the paint. I am able to remove touch-up paint using full strength alcohol.
        We still have it in a few stores, I bought a bottle before they discontinued (opened yesterday) and my friend offered to give me his bottle if I want because he rarely uses it on his garage queen.

Mine was 70%, but point taken.
        Calais Auto Detailing
        CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Its more that the general public expects a few swirls to be able to be removed with a cleaning product, and SwirlX provides that.
          It should be relabeled as a show car product then and geared towards people who take very good care of their paint but want a slight cleaning action. I have Cleaner Wax but I also have my preferences for waxes so I would prefer not to be stuck with a cleaner wax.
          Calais Auto Detailing
          CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
            It should be relabeled as a show car product then and geared towards people who take very good care of their paint but want a slight cleaning action. I have Cleaner Wax but I also have my preferences for waxes so I would prefer not to be stuck with a cleaner wax.
            Why dont you just buy a bottle of M09 or M82?

Both M82 and M09 are only a 3 on the scale and have some good trade secret polishing oils in it while still offering some light cleaning action.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
              Why dont you just buy a bottle of M09 or M82?

Both M82 and M09 are only a 3 on the scale and have some good trade secret polishing oils in it while still offering some light cleaning action.
              I have not tried either of them yet, perhaps I will give them a whirl next time I run out of DC1. I really like the stuff though, it really preps the paint for M16.
              Calais Auto Detailing
              CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post

Got some bad news for ya invisible, I went to Canadian Tire today and the prices are 14.99 per bottle.

Comment

DC1 is being phased out due to UC, SwirlX, & ScratchX....bummer but the three mention are just as good for me! M16 was discontinued for the US market because of the LAW, nothing they could do about that & from what I've read, nobody really bought the GC accessories.

Around my neck of the woods, you can go to any store (PB, AZ, AA) and find lots of DC1.
                  For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

How long ago did you decant your alcohol? If you leave it a few days, it seems to change and leave stains on the paint as you describe. I've had it happen twice, both time the alcohol was decanted more than 5 days beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicked View Post
                      How long ago did you decant your alcohol? If you leave it a few days, it seems to change and leave stains on the paint as you describe. I've had it happen twice, both time the alcohol was decanted more than 5 days beforehand.
                      I didn't. I (wrongly) assumed that 70% alcohol would be suitable for use on my paint.
                      Calais Auto Detailing
                      CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

DC1 also removes bonded contaminents so no need to clay

Comment

Originally posted by mongo View Post
                          Not quite. You still need to clay prior to using DC1.
                          Calais Auto Detailing
                          CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Originally posted by mongo View Post
                            If that was true then nobody would buy Meguiars clay and DC1 sales would be through the roof.
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');