• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

proper way to wash 2.0 foam pads, foam applicators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper way to wash 2.0 foam pads, foam applicators.

hey guys, i need to know how to wash my 2.0 foam pads and foam applicators from this last weekend
    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Re: proper way to wash 2.0 foam pads, foam applicators.

I wash mine with liquid detergent, warm water, delicate mode. you can probably do cold water and/or normal mode too.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsCrazed View Post
      hey guys, i need to know how to wash my 2.0 foam pads and foam applicators from this last weekend

same as above, but there is often residue left from the pads. To deal with that I keep track of what pads are used for what, so I dont use the same pads for different products.

I ordered some microfiber detergent so that might do the trick in getting the products outta the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by james0509 View Post
        same as above, but there is often residue left from the pads. To deal with that I keep track of what pads are used for what, so I dont use the same pads for different products.

I ordered some microfiber detergent so that might do the trick in getting the products outta the pads.
        have you tried this stuff?

DP Polishing Pad Cleaner - Keep those pads clean so the pads can keep your car clean! You want to keep your car clean, so it is important to keep your pads clean. DP Polishing Pad Cleaner helps to keep your pads looking, feeling and working like ...

Comment

I bought a pad kit and some special cleaner came with it to clean the pads. I've used detergent in the past but I thought since I had about 5 pads to wash that I'd try this special cleaner. Well I tried it and it really did not clean the pads very well. I finished up the job with Tide Free that I've used in the past. It did a much better job. I pour a little Tide Fee in the cap and mix in just a little water. I then wet the pad and pour some detergent onto it. I wash them by hand. When I pour the detergent on the pad I can see that it instantly starts to break up the wax on the pad. I rub it in, rinse the pad and repeat if needed. It really does a great job of keeping them clean. I make sure to rinse the pads out very well.

I do the same with foam applicators... which is why I mention this.

Comment

I use Dawn and a large glass bowl filled with warm water. I compress the pads with my hands until the water stops clouding (takes a few refills). I press as much water as possible out of the pads and then compress them again between folded terry towels. Then they sit for a day to air dry.

Comment

I don't know if this is the "proper" way, but i've been using dawn power dissolver. I just spray on the pad, and rinse thoroughly and let air dry. A bottle of dawn pd is fairly inexpensive and can be had at most stores(grocery/walmart).
              2004 Mazda 6i Onyx Black

Comment

- Compounds that contain no oily residue such as M105 and M95, rinsing with pure water, squeezing, and agitating with a brush repeatedly should suffice. The compounding dust is the only thing contaminating the pads.

- Compounds and polishes that contain oily, like Ultimate Compound, I rinse off as much compound dust as possible possible while squeezing them it in the process. Then I spray some detergent on the pads and rub the detergent INTO the pads and agitate with brush. Let it sit for 30min, and then keep rinsing them with water until all soap is washed off.

I find that my devised methods are better than simply soaking them with dedicated pad cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                  - Compounds that contain no oily residue such as M105 and M95, rinsing with pure water, squeezing, and agitating with a brush repeatedly should suffice. The compounding dust is the only thing contaminating the pads.

- Compounds and polishes that contain oily, like Ultimate Compound, I rinse off as much compound dust as possible possible while squeezing them it in the process. Then I spray some detergent on the pads and rub the detergent INTO the pads and agitate with brush. Let it sit for 30min, and then keep rinsing them with water until all soap is washed off.

I find that my devised methods are better than simply soaking them with dedicated pad cleaner.
                  I am afraid that is not accurate. Have you even tried M95 which is a rotary only product??

Many compounds do contain lubricating oils so that they can be used with a rotary polisher. So while it may not contain oils intended as a filling material, it will still have lubrication oils.

Moreover, it is not just compound dust in the pads but rather a combination of leftover compound combined with paint that you have just removed. On CC paint, you will not see it. But on single stage paints your pad will turn the colour of the paint being polished. This colour change is often permanent.

To wash out all 2.0 pads, I use a combination of Liquid Tide and Dawn soap which has worked very well for me for many years. With the 2.0 versions, I wash them in the washing machine as they are machine washable unlike the previous pads. Also, make sure to fold over the pad like a taco in order to squeeze out as much water as possible rather than twisting the pad. I usually allow the pads to air dry. Hence the reason a serious detailer should have 12 or so pads of each type so a clean one can be rotated in while the others are drying.

For the non-2.0 pads, Meguiar's suggests allowing the product to dry in the pad and then use a stiff brush to brush away as much compound/paint build-up as possible. Use M34 Final Inspection to prime the pads which will also help to loosen any build-up.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yeah, I tried it on my cutting foam pads, but not yet on the wool pad as I am waiting for the rotary to arrive. When used with foam pads, the M95 residue doesn't feel oily at all compared to Utlimate Compound. I still use a very light soap such as Spray & Wash to clean my pads after M95 and M105 usage, just not the stronger Tide or Purex liquid detergent.

I have successfully removed single stage paint gum-up from my foam pads using Spray & Wash alone. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                      Yeah, I tried it on my cutting foam pads, but not yet on the wool pad as I am waiting for the rotary to arrive. When used with foam pads, the M95 residue doesn't feel oily at all compared to Utlimate Compound. I still use a very light soap such as Spray & Wash to clean my pads after M95 and M105 usage, just not the stronger Tide or Purex liquid detergent.

I have successfully removed single stage paint gum-up from my foam pads using Spray & Wash alone. Just thought I'd share.
                      So you have used M95 then? Since you do not have a rotary polisher, what did you use the wool pads with? Just curious, how did you wash a wool pad?

Single Stage paint stains the pads, not just gums them up. While you can remove some of the staining, usually a red single stage leaves you a nice red permanent stain; same for all colours. Which of your cars is a single stage paint?

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I haven't touched the wool pad at all. I just picked up a few on my last order to save on shipping.

I did an old black Mazda that has SS paint a few weeks ago. Both the SS paint stain and gum up was really hard to remove using regular detergent or the dedicated pad cleaner. Spray & Wash seems to work best, and cleans the pads without changing either the suppleness or firmness of the pads. Though, I must admit, some scrubbing was involved using the strainer/basket/Kitty litter thing.

For some reason, the stain doesn't look as bad in the picture as it really was.

The shades in the pads above are water spots. When dried, the pads looked absolutely spotless.

Comment

Sorry for asking Is the white thing used as a grit or for squeezing the pad...

I heard a few friends use APC at a dilluted level to clean their pads
                          Ganesa,
                          Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

To wash my pads, I use liquid all for the detergent, and pretreat them with Shout. Then I put them in the dryer on low heat. Works good for me.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Invisible,

You have me a little confused here .

If you do not have a rotary what are you using with M95. a D.A? Have you used the wool pad or have you not?

Seems like some of your posts are not very clear and inaccurate.

Best thing for you to do is listen to Tim, He definitly knows what he is talking about, he has been doing this for over two decades now.
                              Nick
                              Tucker's Detailing Services
                              815-954-0773
                              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');