• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me name this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can you help me name this car?

Actually, it was just a stroke of luck. This one was modded a bit, but I knew at first look that it was either a '73 or '74 Laguna, but wasn't sure of the details that distinguish the '73 from the '74. When I went to google images, lo and behold, there were the original shots. I haven't seen a reply from Ronnie yet to see if he got an answer in to the editor on time. I cordially turned down his offer of payment from a few posts ago, since I couldn't attribute any of his wins to my info, but I'll certainly accept it this time unless he found the correct answer on his own before I did.

Bill

Comment

Bill. I called in your guess as soon as I read it 11/1. Hope I get in 1st and HE identifies it right.
      Ronnie

Comment

Bill and others, The newspaper did not recognize my entry as a winner, or any of the 300 others.

Anyway, here is the NOV. CAR. It is a FORD, that is all I know.

Comment

197? Pinto?

Comment

1971? Thin blade chrome bumpers and no gas cap on drivers side rear panel are clues.

Comment

That is an early 1970's Chevrolet Vega

Comment

Based on the tiny useless front bumper, I'm guessing 1971 or 1972

Comment

1971 Chevrolet Vega.
                  Here's the image:

Bill

Comment

Bill, I called in your guess. How did you find that wiki pic? mrmlee also shares if I win.
                    Ron

Comment

I knew it was an 71-72 Vega, just wasn't sure which, so I just started in google images with 1971 and there it was, the same pic. Another view of the same pic shows a 1971 front license plate. As I've stated before, my mental hard drive is thoroughly cluttered with data that's completely useless 99% of the time. When Einstein said that we only use 10% of our mental capacity, he didn't realize that random automotive knowledge can easily expand to occupy the other 90%.

Bill

Comment

Here is the last car for 2012. He gave the names of two winners - the 71 vega hatchback, and the buick rivera gs.
                        I thought this was a 69 dodge coronet super bee, but I can't get a google pic match. note the large hood scoop.

Comment

Yeah, me again!
                          It's a 1973 Plymouth Duster. Here's the original image. This was a tough one, since the '71-74 Dusters all look alike. I had to keep searching until I found the exact image.

Bill

Comment

Good job Bill!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
                              Yeah, me again!
                              It's a 1973 Plymouth Duster. Here's the original image. This was a tough one, since the '71-74 Dusters all look alike. I had to keep searching until I found the exact image.

Bill
                              I just called it in. Added coupe - seems he wanted hatchback on the vega!

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                                Good job Bill!

Bill
                                Thanks, Bill.
                                Based on the little quirks in descriptions that have kept Ronnie from winning in the past, I think the only way to have a chance at winning is to nail down the exact image. Unfortunately, the same image will appear in Google using a bunch of different search criteria, so it's still a guessing game trying to decide what keyword(s) he may have used to find an image. Looking at the various images that have been posted, it doesn't appear that the writer who does the contest is a true "car guy". Or maybe he is, but he's just a lot younger than I.
                                Last night I was at my buddy's tire shop after hours, mounting up some fresh rubber on my DD, since we were scheduled for 4-6 inches of snow overnight. I got back home about 11:30, checked my email and found a notice of a new post on this thread. As wacky as I am about a challenge like this, I couldn't think of going to bed until I found an answer, even though I had to work this morning.
                                Sicknesses like that have no cure!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');