• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tested the Rotary and the DA Surbuf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tested the Rotary and the DA Surbuf

A few weeks ago, I wetsanded my hood to remove some orange peel. Although I removed much of the sanding marks using the DA and a cutting pad, I was left with a few tracers and some sanding hazes on the hood. The tracers were caused by the 2000 grit and 2500 sandpaper. I decided to experiment two different methods to remove the deeper sanding marks.

The Procedures:
    Setup 1 - 7" Surbuf Pad + 7424XP at Speed 6
    Setup 2 - 6.5" Purple Foamed Wool + Makita Rotary at up to 2000rpm

Compound - M105
    Lubrication for Surbuf - Last Touch 1:1 upon the recommendation of KB

I split the hood into two sections. I used the rotary on the passenger side and the DA on the driver side. I worked in sections of roughly 2' x 2'. Surface wiped with 1:1 99% Alcohol and Distilled Water after each pass and observed under the afternoon sun.

The two pads being compared:

The Surbuf R series compared to the traditional Wool Pad:

Observations:
    Rotary + PFW:
    As expected, the rotary coupled with the PFW was able to remove a majority of the remaining sanding marks and tracers in just one pass. After a wiping down the working area, and then observing the area under the sun, there were still a couple of very light scratches remaining. I gave the area another pass using the rotary and then wiping down the area with alcohol. I spent 10min looking for scratches in the 2' x 2' area to look for any remaining sanding scratches, but couldn't find any. As advertised, the LC PFW was able to remove deep sanding scratches, without causing any hazes and swirls.

DA + Surbuf R-Series:
    After I completed the passenger side of the hood, I had a pretty good benchmark for the Surbuf pads. I utilized the Surbuf pads using the methods found in this thread here. I also used diluted alcohol to wipe down the working area after each pass and inspected the surface under the sun. Similar to the PFW + Rotary, the Surbuf + DA combo completely removed all the sanding scratches with just two passes. In my opinion, that was amazing, but also expected. Amazingly, the Surbuf pad and M105 finish very nicely without any nicks or scratches. In fact, the finish produced by the Surbuf pad is MUCH better than that produced by the orange cutting pad!!!! Keep in mind that the Surbuf R-Series pad is also a FINISHING pad designed for applying automotives waxes to automotive paint surfaces! That explains why the M105 is able to finish nicely using the Surbuf pad. The Surbuf pad finishes very similar to the PFW.

From my observation, the rate of cut using the PFW and the rotary is slightly quicker than the DA + Surbuf. However, the difference is extremely minimal. Both methods cut at such a similar rate, it was shocking. Another thing is that I was able to maximize the working time of M105 by utilizing Kevin's prescribed method to work on the Surbuf pads. That increase in working time of the Surbuf pad compensates for its less aggressive pad material and rotational speed.

One of the best features of the Surbuf pad is that it generates very little friction, allowing the DA to rotate almost at its maximum speed. The Surbuf pad also uses MUCH less product than the PFW pad. Unlike wool, the surbuf microfingers are extremely short, making them ideal to use with the DA.

Another thing I notice is that the Surbuf pad generates LESS heat than the typical cutting FOAM pad on a DA. Using the PFW pad with the rotary at up to 2000rpm, the hood was a little warm to the touch, but cooler than expected. The PFW feels much more gentle to the touch than the traditional 4ply wool pad. I can imagine that the 4 ply wool pad to get quite hot at speeds of around 2000rpm.

I think I like the Surbuf pads. At least they do not smell like sheep when you wash them!

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Re: Tested the Rotary and the DA Surbuf

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
    Keep in mind that the Surbuf R-Series pad is also a FINISHING pad designed for applying automotives waxes to automotive paint surfaces! That explains why the M105 is able to finish nicely using the Surbuf pad.

The Surbuf pad is now a finishing pad? I'm going to have to disagree. While the finish on silver might have looked good, I would not use a Surbuf pad to finish out a black car.

The main reason that the Surbuf pads work well with a DA is because of the pad's surface area. The gaps between fibers are very small, so there is a lot of contact with the paint.

I have used D151 with a Surbuf pad, but I would never use a Surbuf pad to apply any other sort of wax.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hey Chris, it was you that recommended Surbuf to me in the first place. Thanks!

Yes, the R-series pads can be used for applying waxes. But I absolutely agree that the Surbuf pads should not be used with any waxes. At least I personally wouldn't do that. The manufacturer states that the Surbuf R-series pads can be used with both fine-cut cleaner (like the M105/205) as well as finishing waxes. Of course, like you said, I would never do that.

And yes, although the paint finishes really well, it is NOT LSP ready. I would follow up the process with the M205. Now I have to decide whether to use a polishing pad or a finishing pad with M205 before LSP... hmmm...

Comment

so you finally decided on getting a makita ( read a couple of ur rotary threads )?

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr310 View Post
          so you finally decided on getting a makita ( read a couple of ur rotary threads )?
          Yes. I purchased a couple of rotaries, in fact.

It eliminates the needs to change backing plates often.

Comment

Good to hear you got your rotary or rotaries. What are the models?

You did a nice job on the hood. I couldn't really see any difference,at least on silver. On the earlier,outdoor pics the left side looks deeper,but I reckon that is the division in the middle and the light is hitting it different.

Just one point. You might want to dilute your alcohol/water mixture weaker. Isopropyl alcohol is 70% as opposed to others being 90%+. Sounds like you were using alcohol intended for making liqour.... Do you do moonshinin' in Canada?

Comment

wow bro u r on the right track
              keep it up & it spinning
              it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');